This is post #7 of a series regarding the Hilton HHonors hotel program.
- Introduction to a new Hilton Credit Card – Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Reserve Card
- Hilton Credit Card Comparison
- Earning Status with Hilton
- What does Hilton Status Get You?
- Understanding the Double-dip Options
- Utilizing Hilton GLON Awards
- Utilizing Hilton AXON Awards
- GLON vs. AXON – Which One is Better?
One of the many unknown benefits of the Hilton rewards program are their GLON and AXON awards. I discussed the GLON awards in the last post of this series, but I’ll dedicate this one to fully explaining the AXON awards. Utilizing these two award benefits can allow your points to be stretched further and to get a better redemption out of your Hilton points.
First let me start out by saying that the only way to have access to the AXON awards is by having one of their two co-branded American Express credit card: Hilton HHonors Surpass Card from American Express and Hilton HHonors Card from American Express. The Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Visa Signature Card and the Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Reserve Card will NOT give you access to AXON awards as this is a special perk of just the two Amex credit cards – even having status will not get you this special award charts. The two Citi cards, however, will give you access to the GLON awards.
AXON awards are available on stays of 4 nights for categories 5, 6, and 7 hotels:
- Category 5 hotel, typically requires 35,000 points
- AXON5 discount for 4 nights = 125,000 points total, so 31,250 points/night (10.8% savings)
- Category 6 hotel, typically requires 40,000 points
- AXON6 discount for 4 nights = 125,000 points total, so 31,250 points/night (21.9% savings)
- Category 7 hotel, typically requires 50,000 points
- GLON discount for 4 nights = 145,000 points total, so 36,250 points/night (27.5% savings)
For a stay of 5 nights, for example, you would redeem four nights under the AXON award chart and then 1 night under the normal award chart. For an 8 night stay, you can redeem two 4 night stays under the AXON award chart. For category 6 hotels, because of the huge discount on the AXON awards, you’ll actually only redeem 5,000 more points for a 4 night stay than a 3 night stay. And for the category 7 hotels, redeeming 4 nights is actually cheaper than 3 nights by 5,000 points!
These awards, unlike the GLON awards, cannot be booked online, and you’ll need to call Hilton reservations (1-800-920-5649).
So what if you have access to GLON and AXON awards? You aren’t able to combine the savings, but are able to pick the one you want to use based on which one will give you a higher discount. Remember, only GLON awards give discounts on category 3, 4, and Waldorf Astoria hotels, so by default those awards are better for those three categories. Tomorrow’s post will go into detail and the mathematics of which one is better for each hotel category and length of stay.
Enjoy your discounted award!
- Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Visa Signature Card: 40,000 bonus points for new applicants after spending $1,000 within 4 months; Earn 6 points per $1 spent at Hilton Hotels; Earn 3 points per $1 spent at supermarkets, drug stores, gas stations; Earn 2 points per $1 spent on all other purchases; no annual fee.
- There is also a 50,000 bonus point application that seems to be working for folks, however, no where on the page does it state you’ll get the 50k. This is an expired promotion that is most likely still working, but no guarantee.
- Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Reserve Card: 2 free weekends nights to use at any Hilton portfolio hotel (excludes all-inclusive resorts, Hilton Grand timeshare properties, and Waldorf Astoria hotels with no standard rooms offered) – must spend $2,500 in 4 months to earn this bonus; Earn a free weekend night annually if you spend $10,000 on the card during your card membership year (rolling 12 months, not calendar year); Earn 10 points per $1 spent at Hilton Hotels; Earn 5 points per $1 spent on airlines and car rental purchases; Earn 3 points per $1 spent on all other purchases; $95 annual fee.
- Hilton HHonors Surpass Card from American Express: 60,000 points for new applicants (40,000 points after your first purchase and an additional 20,000 points after spending $3,000 within 3 months); Earn 9 points for $1 spent at Hilton hotels, 6 points per $1 spent at supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations; Earn 3 points per $1 spent on all other purchases; $75 annual fee (not waived the first year).
- Hilton HHonors Card from American Express: 65,000 points for new applicants (40,000 points after spending $750 within 3 months and 25,000 points after spending $3,000 in 6 months). Earn 6 points per $1 spent at Hilton hotels, supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations; Earn 3 points per $1 spent on all other purchases; no annual fee. If you want a lower minimum spend, this card application link will give you a total of 50,000 points after you spend $750 within 3 months.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for the Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Visa Signature Card and the Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Reserve Card. All of these are the best offers available. As always, thanks for your support and enjoy traveling on a deal!