This is post #8 of a series regarding the Hilton HHonors hotel program.
- Introduction to a new Hilton Credit Card – Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Reserve Card
- Hilton Credit Card Comparison
- Earning Status with Hilton
- What does Hilton Status Get You?
- Understanding the Double-dip Options
- Utilizing Hilton GLON Awards
- Utilizing Hilton AXON Awards
- GLON vs. AXON – Which One is Better?
As I’ve mentioned before a few times in this Hilton HHonors series, two of the best components of this program are the ability to redeem points for less are utilizing the GLON and AXON awards. If you remember from the past two posts, these two award redemptions are not available to everyone. To quickly recap:
- GLON award access: Must have elite tier status – Silver, Gold, or Diamond
- AXON award access: Must have one of the two American Express co-branded Hilton credit cards
Since many members of the program have both status and the Amex credit card, you have access to both award types. They are very different savings, so it is important to know which one is better for your particular point redemption. For the most part, the GLON award chart is the best, but there are a few times when the AXON awards are in fact better. For category 3, 4, and Waldorf Astoria stays, GLON awards are always the best since the AXON awards do not include these categories in the point saving redemption. Categories 1 and 2 aren’t included in either redemption award chart. For the AXON awards they are only available in multiple of 4 night stays, so if you have any nights after those 4 night multiples you must redeem for the full number of points. In the chart below, I averaged the number of points per night for the entire stay.
Best redemption for GLON vs. AXON for category 5, 6, and 7 hotels:
|Category / Number of Nights||GLON||AXON||Winner|
|Category 5 / 4 Night Stay||29,750 points/night||31,250 points/night||GLON|
|Category 5 / 5 Night Stay||28,000 points/night||32,000 points/night||GLON|
|Category 5 / 6 Night Stay||26,250 points/night||32,500 points/night||GLON|
|Category 5 / 7 Night Stay||26,250 points/night||32,857 points/night||GLON|
|Category 5 / 8 Night Stay||26,250 points/night||31,250 points/night||GLON|
|Category 6 / 4 Night Stay||34,000 points/night||31,250 points/night||AXON|
|Category 6 / 5 Night Stay||32,000 points/night||33,000 points/night||GLON|
|Category 6 / 6 Night Stay||30,000 points/night||34,166 points/night||GLON|
|Category 6 / 7 Night Stay||30,000 points/night||35,000 points/night||GLON|
|Category 6 / 8 Night Stay||30,000 points/night||31,350 points/night||GLON|
|Category 7 / 4 Night Stay||42,500 points/night||36,250 points/night||AXON|
|Category 7 / 5 Night Stay||40,000 points/night||39,000 points/night||AXON|
|Category 7 / 6 Night Stay||37,500 points/night||40,833 points/night||GLON|
|Category 7 / 7 Night Stay||37,500 points/night||42,142 points/night||GLON|
|Category 7 / 8 Night Stay||37,500 points/night||36,250 points/night||AXON|
As I mentioned above and as you can see from the chart above, the GLON awards the best for almost all stays, except: 1) category 6 / 4 night stay; 2) category 7 / 4 night stay; 3) category 7 / 5 night stay; and 4) category 7 / 8 night stay — in these four scenarios the AXON awards are best. The ideal option is to have access to both discounted award charts, but if you can only get one, my suggestion is to ensure you can get access to the GLON award chart. This requires having any tier status (silver, gold, or diamond).
As I mentioned in a previous post, here are the ways to get elite status:
- Stay at Hilton branded hotels – 10 nights or 4 stays in a calendar year will earn you Silver status (for the remaining year and the following year) which is all you need to access these awards
- Have a Hilton branded credit card which comes with automatic status for the entire time you are a card member (you can learn more about each individual card at the bottom of the post):
- Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Visa Signature Card - Automatic Silver status (no annual fee ever) **this card will give you access to the GLON awards
- Hilton HHonors Card from American Express - Automatic Silver status (no annual fee ever) **this card will give you access to the GLON and AXON awards
- Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Reserve Card - Automatic Gold status **this card will give you access to the GLON awards
- Sign up for a “Fast Track to Gold” challenge, where if you stay 4 times in 90 days you’ll receive Gold status. This often comes up quite often and most are typically eligible. You can learn about the current offer here.
Overall, Hilton requires a lot of points for free night awards, so this can be a huge help and allow your points to be stretched further. If you have a category 3 – 7 or Waldorf Astoria stay for 4+ nights, I’d HIGHLY recommend looking into a way utilize these discounted award charts. You work hard for your points, so you might as well get as many free nights as possible, right?! Enjoy your discounted free nights!
- Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Visa Signature Card: 40,000 bonus points for new applicants after spending $1,000 within 4 months; Earn 6 points per $1 spent at Hilton Hotels; Earn 3 points per $1 spent at supermarkets, drug stores, gas stations; Earn 2 points per $1 spent on all other purchases; no annual fee.
- There is also a 50,000 bonus point application that seems to be working for folks, however, no where on the page does it state you’ll get the 50k. This is an expired promotion that is most likely still working, but no guarantee.
- Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Reserve Card: 2 free weekends nights to use at any Hilton portfolio hotel (excludes all-inclusive resorts, Hilton Grand timeshare properties, and Waldorf Astoria hotels with no standard rooms offered) – must spend $2,500 in 4 months to earn this bonus; Earn a free weekend night annually if you spend $10,000 on the card during your card membership year (rolling 12 months, not calendar year); Earn 10 points per $1 spent at Hilton Hotels; Earn 5 points per $1 spent on airlines and car rental purchases; Earn 3 points per $1 spent on all other purchases; $95 annual fee.
- Hilton HHonors Surpass Card from American Express: 60,000 points for new applicants (40,000 points after your first purchase and an additional 20,000 points after spending $3,000 within 3 months); Earn 9 points for $1 spent at Hilton hotels, 6 points per $1 spent at supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations; Earn 3 points per $1 spent on all other purchases; $75 annual fee (not waived the first year).
- Hilton HHonors Card from American Express: 65,000 points for new applicants (40,000 points after spending $750 within 3 months and 25,000 points after spending $3,000 in 6 months). Earn 6 points per $1 spent at Hilton hotels, supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations; Earn 3 points per $1 spent on all other purchases; no annual fee. If you want a lower minimum spend, this card application link will give you a total of 50,000 points after you spend $750 within 3 months.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for the Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Visa Signature Card and the Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Reserve Card. All of these are the best offers available. As always, thanks for your support and enjoy traveling on a deal!