I just got word that today is the last day for the Amex Business Gold Rewards credit card offer for 50,000 points after spending $5,000 in three months. I was also told it will end at 5pm EST. UPDATE: It looks like this offer is still going on until November 26, 2012.
Now, the T&C state: “To be eligible to receive the bonus points, you must (1) apply for the Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN using Bonus ID A3AU prior to termination of this offer, but in no event later than November 26, 2012,” so this offer could in fact be around later through another link, but I am not 100% sure. Additionally, multiple times throughout the year, this card offers 75,000 points, although they typically require a $10,000 minimum spend.
If you are interested in this card, it is up to you on whether or not you want to take a gamble and wait till another 75,000 point offer comes around. The better offer has been available a handful of times this year, so if history repeats itself we will see this offer again, but you never know. If you are risk adverse or want to apply for this card soon, then now is the time to apply and get the best offer possible. 50,000 points is still a great offer, especially when you can take advantage of a transfer bonus (for example, the current British Airways 30% bonus which is now running – I’ll post more about this soon). If you can redeem your points during this promotional periods, then these points can go a long way. Prior to this 50,000 point offer, the everyday offer was nothing, and right now I am not sure what it will go down to (or go up, but very doubtful for an enhanced offer).
I personally have turned to the Chase Ultimate Rewards program over the American Express Membership Rewards, but many are still extremely loyal to Amex.
To quickly recap the benefits of this card: You will earn 3x points on all airfare purchases, which is much more than any of the airline specific credit cards will give you. You will also earn 2x points on purchases in the U.S. for advertising in select media, gasoline at U.S. stand-alone gas stations, and shipping. You will then earn 1x point on all other purchases. This card and the personal American Express Premier Gold card have great values when it comes to purchasing airfare.
(*for the triple and double points, you will earn this bonus on the first $100,000 of eligible purchases in each category each calendar year, and then 1 point/$1 thereafter). My husband has the Amex Business Rewards Gold card and it is used to purchase all of our flights.
The other benefit of this card (along with all OPEN credit cards) is the discount you’ll receive at some popular merchants. My personal favorite are 10% at Office Max, 10% at Hertz, 5% at FedEx, 5% at Marriott Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites, 5% at 1-800-FLOWERS, 5% at Barnes & Nobles, and 3% at Hyatt.
I’ve also been on a huge American Express kick with the statement credits and have been able to pay for the annual fee on my cards while making money. This is just another card to add to the money making pile (that is if you take advantage of those offers)!
Unfortunately, existing American Express OPEN Gold Card members who have had this card in the past 12 months are not eligible for this offer. And remember, although this is a business credit card, who is to say selling items on ebay, for example, is not considered a business! Right?! Many have reported success (including Mr. Deals) with applying for this card with just using their personal Social Security number.
To apply to this offer, click here.
Additional Card Member Benefits:
- Annual Travel Benefit: Receive a $100 statement credit when using an American Express card to purchase a vacation of at least $3,000 through American Express Travel. Limit one credit per Card account, per year. Credit posted to Cardmember’s account 3-4 weeks after completion of travel. Not valid for group bookings.
- OPEN Savings: Receive 3-10% credit on purchases made with an American Express Business card with participating merchants - open.com/opensavings. 10% off at Office Max, Hertz, and HPDirect.com; 5% off at FedEx, Marriott Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Carey, Epson, Microsoft Store, 1-800-FLOWERS, Barnes & Nobles; 3% off at Hyatt
- Return Protection: Return an item up to 90 days from purchase, up to $300 per item and up to a maximum of $1,000 per Cardmember account per calendar year. Shipping and handling charges will not be reimbursed. Subject to additional terms, conditions and exclusions.
- Roadside Assistance Anywhere: The American Express Roadside Assistance Anywhere services are provided as an emergency service and not a general maintenance type service. Only one disablement for the same cause during any consecutive seven-day period will be allowed. Coverage provided for self-propelled, four-wheel vehicles designed, licensed, and used for private on-road transportation, and trucks with a carrying capacity of up to 2 tons. Towing to the nearest authorized facility, or, upon the Card member’s request, to another location at a maximum towing distance of 10 miles with a maximum of $50 coverage. Fuel provided in emergency situations will be charged to the Card member’s Card Account. Emergency situations do not include: all parts, labor and supplies provided while at an auto repair shop or service station, towing to another location unless the initial service location is closed, service for taxicabs, tractors, boats, rental vehicles, ambulances, trucks, vehicles used for competition, unlicensed vehicles, illegally parked or impounded vehicles, or any vehicles in tow, rental and towing equipment, towing at the direction of law enforcement officer relating to traffic obstruction, impoundment, abandonment, illegal parking, or other violations of law or towing by other than a licensed service station or garage, installation or removal of snow tires, repairs to studs, mounting and dismounting snow chains, repeated service calls for a vehicle in need of routine maintenance or repair, shoveling snow from around a vehicle, vehicle storage, or impoundment charges. Coverage is applicable to the entire United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. Limit of 4 services per calendar year.
- The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express Open: Earn 50,000 points for new applicants after $5,000 spend within the first 3. Earn 3 points/$1 on airfare, 2 points/$1 on advertising, gas, and shipping, and 1 point/$1 on everything else; Annual fee waived for the first year then $175/year.
- American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card: Earn 25,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend $2,000 during your first three months of Card membership; Earn 15K additional points when you spend $30,000 within one calendar year; Earn triple points on airfare, double points on gasoline at U.S. stand-alone gas stations, double points at U.S. stand-alone supermarkets, and single points on other purchases; Annual fee waived for the first year then $175/year.
- American Express Platinum: Earn 25,000 Membership Rewards points bonus when you spend $2,000 during your first 3 months of Card membership; Airport club lounge access, No Foreign Transaction Fees, Global Entry expedited U.S. immigration pass; Up to $200 in Airline Fee Credits annually to cover incidental charges on your airline of choice, including checked-baggage fees; Earn 1 point/$1 spent on all purchases.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for supporting the blog and enjoy traveling on a deal!