April 6, 2012
You probably already know about the upcoming Daily Getaways sponsored by American Express and the US Travel Association. The idea is that every day from April 9 through May 11, a new travel deal will become available at 1 PM ET. In past years there have been some really great deals which often sold out very quickly. If there is a deal that appeals to you, check the Daily Getaways site for a link to “like” the merchant on Facebook and you will get a code that allows you into the presale an hour earlier.
Currently, the first three weeks of deals are available to view (not to buy). To see them, go to Daily Getaways and click on the “Calendar” tab. There is a potentially great deal for buying points in the third week (see details in this TravelBy Points post). In addition to that deal, I’m tempted by the Marriott deal in week 2. On April 18th, Marriott TravelCards will be available for a nice discount. The prices start off at 11% off of face value, but if you pay with an American Express card, you get 10% off of that for a combined price of 20% off.
In order to maximize my savings, I’ll do the following:
- Buy Marriott TravelCards via the Daily Getaways promotion
- Book Marriott stays by first going through the Ultimate Rewards Mall for 3 points per dollar
- Prior to my Marriott stays, I will call to request a Platinum Elite Challenge. This will give me Platinum status for the rest of the month in which I signup plus 3 more months after that (or longer if I stay 18 nights during that time). In addition to possible upgrades and other perks, Platinum status will increase the points I earn from my stays by 50%.
In case you have questions about how the TravelCards can be used, here are the listed Terms and Conditions:
Within 10-14 business days of purchase, you will receive your Marriott TravelCard via U.S. mail at the shipping address provided at purchase. Upon receipt, visit any Marriott brand hotel property worldwide to redeem for stays, dining, spa treatments or golf.
- Marriott TravelCards may be used at all JW Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Autograph CollectionSM, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Courtyard® by Marriott, Fairfield Inn® & Suites, SpringHill Suites®, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites®, and Marriott Vacation Club®(rentals only), and participating hotel retail, spa, golf, or food and beverage outlets.
- Card is a pre-paid card, not a credit card, and is property of and issued by MI Fulfillment Services, LLC. Protect card like cash.
- Card cannot be applied to group, special corporate/negotiated, catering, associate, or other discounted/non-commissionable rates.
- Card cannot be used when reservation is booked by a travel agent or other third party.
- Card cannot be used to secure a reservation.
- Card is not redeemable for cash and change will not be returned except as required by law. Change is not provided by hotels. See pre-paid card terms and conditions.
- There are no blackout dates on TravelCards.
- Card is not replaceable if lost, stolen, or destroyed.
- Marriott TravelCard and Marriott GiftCard terms vary.
- Card becomes inactive when all value has been redeemed.
- Each transaction will be debited against card balance; if transaction exceeds balance, user must pay the difference.
- To check card balance visit gifts.marriott.com or call 1-800-442-6132. For balance information outside the U.S. and Canada use the AT&T Direct® access number for the country you are calling from with 1-800-442-6132.
- Use of card confirms acceptance of terms above.
- All sales are final.
What do you think? Do you see any Daily Deals worth getting?
If you’re new to Frequent Miler, please start here