Privileges such as lounge access are not just for the frequent flyers with the full-service airlines. Your access to the Oasis of Calm, as I refer to lounges, could also come to you by way of holding a particular credit card, more specifically a MasterCard issued in India.
In operation for a few years now, the MasterCard Lounge Access program was recently renewed for another year and is now valid till December 2012. Under this program, all premium MasterCard holders from various banks get free access to the Clipper and Plaza Premium lounges in India on domestic as well as international flights. The unstated fact I can tell you also is that add-on cards also get this benefit, on swiping their cards on the designated Mastercard electronic terminals.
I’ve personally used this privilege when flying around on low-cost carriers such as Indigo which do not offer lounge access or status as a part of the flying package. The offer is valid at the following lounges across India:
- Mumbai – Clipper lounge – Terminal 2B (Mezzanine Floor)
- Delhi – Plaza Premium Lounge – Terminal T3 (Fourth Floor)
- Delhi – Premium Lounge – Terminal T3 (Mezzanine Floor)
- Kolkata – Clipper lounge (Ground Floor)
- Chennai – Clipper lounge (First Floor)
- Hyderabad – Plaza Premium Lounge (E Level)
- Delhi – Plaza Premium Lounge – Terminal T3 (Mezzanine Floor)
- Delhi – Plaza Premium Lounge – Terminal T1(D) (First Floor)
- Kolkata – Top Desk Restaurant and Bar (First Floor)
- Kolkata – Clipper Lounge-Located in the departure area of the Domestic terminal
- Hyderabad – Plaza Premium Lounge – Arrival Dom. & Int. – (C Level)
- Mumbai – Clipper Bar & Restaurant – Terminal 1(A)
- Hyderabad – Plaza Premium Lounge – Departures Dom. – (E Level)
While I don’t have a complete list of banks offering this program to their members, I for sure know out of experience that the following cards offer this privilege to their members:
- HSBC Premier
- Citigold World Debit Card
- Citibank Titanium/ World MasterCards
- Axis Bank Titanium MasterCard / Gold Maestro Debit Card
- HDFC Bank Titanium/World MasterCard/ Titanium Debit Cards
- Standard Chartered Titanium MasterCard
- LIC Titanium
If there are other cards which you know of, please leave a note in the comments below and I will add them to the list.
You get access to the F&B, internet (complimentary) and all facilities available to the regular visit of the lounge. At the international lounges, this also includes access to the alcohol if that counts as a benefit for you.
How does it work?
- The Program is available only till 31st December 2012
- The program is applicable in select Clipper & Plaza Premium Lounges in India
- Access at the lounge would be given upon successful authorization of the MasterCard card on the electronic terminals placed at the lounges
- An authorization for an amount (Rs 25/-) will be taken on the card for validation purposes only and it will not be charged to cardholder’s account.
- Program is open only for card holders carrying a valid MasterCard card issued in India. Only one entry per cardholder will be permitted
Do share your experiences with the MasterCard lounge access program in the past or in the future…
- Clipper Lounge, Mumbai CSI Airport Terminal 2
- Jet Airways cuts lounges across India w.e.f. Jan 1, 2012
- Check-in: Delhi Airport Terminal 3 on the way to Mumbai on Jet Airways & Lounging at the Plaza Premium Lounge
- The Lounge that went missing at Mumbai Airport Terminal 1B