Starwood Preferred Guest points can be purchased at 20% discount from July 20 through August 31 when points are $28 per 1,000 points rather than the regular $35/1,000 points rate.
Starpoints are deposited in your account within 24 hours.
Points can be purchased in 500 point increments, up to 20,000 points in a calendar year. You must have been a member of SPG for at least 14 days before you are permitted to buy points.
Starwood Preferred Guest only allows a member to receive up to 20,000 purchased points in a calendar year whether gifted or self-purchased.
Your account may receive up to a maximum of 20,000 Starpoints per account per calendar year, whether purchased by yourself or received as a gift from another member. However, you may purchase as a gift for other accounts, as many Starpoints as desired.
Your account may receive up to a maximum of 20,000 Starpoints per account per calendar year, whether purchased by yourself or received as a gift from another member. However, you may purchase as a gift for other accounts, as many Starpoints as desired. Each gift recipient can receive up to 20,000 Starpoints per calendar year.
Value of Starpoints
SPG Cash & Points awards and 5th night free awards are where the value of Starpoints is highest for the average member.
SPG Cash & Points awards at category 3 to 5 hotels often have a redemption value greater than $50 per 1,000 points.
Example: Hotel Rate Savings Buying Points
Sheraton Carlsbad Resort, Carlsbad, CA is a SPG category 4 hotel.
A category 4 hotel at $270 room rate or a standard reward for 10,000 points per night or a Cash & Points award at $60 + 4,000 points per night.
Sheraton Carlsbad Resort, Carlsbad, CA is a SPG category 4 hotel at $309.65 per night for July 30, 2012. This hotel has standard award availability and Cash & Points award availability.
Standard Award Redemption Value
- Published flexible rate = $309.65
- Standard Award value is $297.65 cash saved for 10,000 points.
- Resort fee $12 is charged on SPG award stay.
- Standard Award redemption value = $29.77 per 1,000 points.
Cash & Points Award Redemption Value
- Hotel tax (10%) is charged on the cash portion for a Cash & Points award so likely the paid portion is about $68.
- Cash & Points Award redemption value = $230 saved for 4,000 points.
- Cash & Points Award redemption value = $57.50 per 1,000 points.
- The $310 room rate is reduced to $192 per night when you buy 4,000 points for $112 during this sale and pay $68 for room + $12 resort fee for a Cash & Points Category 4 Award night.
- Buying 4,000 points saves $118 per night in this example.
- Are the points you earn by staying at the Starwood Hotel on a paid night worth $118? Highly unlikely.
Buying points for $28 per 1,000 points and redeeming those points for $50+ in cash savings per 1,000 points using SPG Cash & Points awards is a good strategy to save on Starwood Hotels.
Loyalty Traveler original post link: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyaltytraveler/2012/07/26/spg-buy-points-28-per-1000-july-20-aug-31-2012/
Ric Garrido, writer and content owner of Loyalty Traveler, shares news and views on hotels, hotel loyalty programs and vacation destinations for frequent guests. You can follow Loyalty Traveler on Twitter and Facebook and RSS feed.