October brings a surprisingly good month for hotel promotions offering free nights, bonus frequent flyer miles and bonus hotel points with several major hotel chains.
New promotions for October hotel stays have been announced by a majority of the major hotel chains. These promotions and more are listed below with links to Loyalty Traveler posts on each offer.
October 2012 hotel loyalty promotions
Le Club Accorhotels - Accor Hotels offers a variety of global regional bonuses and rate discounts. The program tends to have regionalized rate and bonus points promotions. The links currently show dozens of bonus and rate discount offers around the world.
Best Western Rewards
*** September 23-November 18: Triple Points on 2nd and 4th stay when booked on BestWestern.com, otherwise double points. Elite members also earn bonus for 6th and 8th stays. Loyalty Traveler post August 29.
Facebook Fans: Best Western runs weekly promotions on its Facebook page. Any Best Western frequent guest should check out Best Western Facebookfor prize giveaways and contests. Best Western also has flash sales 12pm-4pm Eastern some weeks.
Sign up for Best Western International email noticesin your member account preferences to receive emails for flash sale links.
August 30-November 14, 2012: Earn 8,000 points after every two stays at Choice Hotels. Regardless of hotel spend you will receive either 8,000 total points after two hotel stays or a minimum 5,000 bonus points. This bonus may be earned with no maximum limit during the promotion. An eligible stay requires two consecutive nights at four brands: MainStay, Suburban, Rodeway and EconoLodge. Loyalty Traveler post Aug 27.
This March 26, 2012 Loyalty Traveler post shows the value of 8,000 Choice privileges points in Pariscan be quite the hotel savings.
Club Carlson had a complete overhaul of promotions in October and some of these offers compete for best hotel promotions of the year.
***** Radisson 1 for 1 – LIMITED to 50,000 Registrants(not filled as of 10-15-2012).
Book a stay during the month of October 1-31, 2012 and complete that stay by December 31, 2012 at a Radisson/Radisson Blu brand hotel onlyin USA, Canada or Caribbean. Country Inn, Park Inn and Park Plaza hotels do not count for this offer.
A one night stay qualifies for the bonus free night. Free night at a Radisson/Radisson Blu hotel in USA, Canada or Caribbean is valid through December 31, 2013.
Loyalty Traveler post: Radisson 1-for-1 free night limited to 50,000 registrants Oct 1-Dec 31, 2012October 1, 2013
**** Country Inns & Suites Free Night Offer for stay in USA or Canada of 2 or more nights, Sunday through Thursday, October 1-November 29, 2012. Free night certificate valid at any Country Inn in USA or Canada December 15, 2012 through February 15, 2013. 3-day advance reservation needed for free night award. (This Country Inn promotion seems more restrictive to me now than I originally evaluated with only two months to redeem free night. Loyalty Traveler post: Country Inn Free Night Fall Offer Oct 1-Nov 29, 2012October 2, 2012.)
**** Club Carlson Q-4 More Nights offer earns up to 6,000 bonus points per night.
This offer also looks to be combinable with Radisson 1+1 free night promotion. Club Carlson’s 2012 Q-4 promotion for earning up to 120,000 bonus pointsis based on the number of nights stayed October 1-December 31, 2012. The More Nights promotion is global and includes all Club Carlson brands of Radisson Blu, Radisson, Country Inns & Suites, Park Inn and Park Plaza hotels worldwide.
Simply complete the Club Carlson More Nights registration formon this page and you’ll earn:
- 2,000 bonus points per night when you stay one to five nights
- 4,000 bonus points per night when you stay six to nine nights
- 6,000 bonus points per night when you stay 10 to 20 nights
This promotion is not 2,000 points for the first 5 nights, 4,000 points for the next 4 nights and 6,000 points per night for nights 10-20. After you reach higher levels of nights you get that bonus for all nights from the beginning of the promotion.
A member who stays 6 nights by December 31, 2012 earns 6 nights x 4,000 points for 24,000 bonus points. A member who stays 10 nights by December 31, 2012 earns 10 x 6,000 points for 60,000 bonus points.
Club Carlson bonus points will be calculated and credited in January 2013.
The actual More Nights offer gives 6,000 points per every night stayed once you hit 10 nights. This means you can earn 60,000 bonus points after 10 nights and combine that with the 1 for 1 at Radisson Hotels. These are good value combinable promotion offers.
**** Radisson Bed & Breakfast rate for Triple Points (60 points/$1) and 2,000 bonus points per Radisson stay through December 31, 2012. Valid even for one night stays. This deal is a good value or poor value depending on the differential betwenn the B&B rate and the lowest available rate. Loyalty Traveler post: Triple points on Radisson B&B package can be good value rate Sep 3, 2012.
Hilton HHonors has several bonus frequent flyer mile offers for the final months of 2012.
Hilton Flash Sale for Europe, Middle East and Africa. Must book by October 17, 2012. Save up to 40% for stays through December 31, 2013. Loyalty Traveler post: Hilton EMEA flash sale, book by Oct 17 for stays to Dec 31, 2013. Oct 14, 2012.
**** Virgin Atlantic Flying Club earns 15,000 bonus miles after 5 stays Sep 26-Dec 31, 2012. Stays at full service Hilton brands earn 1,000 fixed miles per stay. HHonors Points & Miles earner can receive 20,000 miles after 5 stays and convert miles back to 40,000 HHonors points through HHonors miles-to-points exchange. Loyalty traveler post: Hilton HHonors Virgin Atlantic 15,000 bonus miles Sep 26-Dec 31, 2012Sep 30, 2012.
**** Miles & More earn up to 2,000 miles per stay October 1-December 31, 2012. No earning limit. Hampton, Homewood and Home2Suites do not earn credit with Miles & More. Loyalty traveler post: Earn 2,000 Miles&More with Hilton stays Oct 1-Dec 31. 2012Oct. 2, 2012.
*** Virgin Australia Triple Velocity Points (Sep 10-Oct 31, 2012)
*** Delta 250MQM and Double Skymiles for 2-night Hilton brand hotel stays worldwide from October 1 – December 15, 2012. Loyalty Traveler post: 2-night Hilton stays earn 250 MQM Delta and double miles Oct 1-Dec 15, 2012 October 5, 2012.
*** American AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, AeroMexico, Avianca/Taca double miles for stays October 2-December 31, 2012 with about 250 USA and Latin America Hotels. Loyalty Traveler post: Hilton HHonors double miles with AA, UA and more to Dec 31 at limited hotels in Americas Oct 10, 2012.
Hyatt Gold Passport
**** Imagine the Possibilities September 1-November 30, 2012 – Earn 5,000 points after 5 nights and 10,000 points for every additional 5 nights, up to 65,000 bonus points. Hyatt Visa cardmembers receive 20% additional points. Registration required by October 31. Loyalty Traveler post August 3, 2012.
**** Hyatt 3rd Night Free Rate is a rate discount for bookings through November 30, 2012 for stays by December 30, 2012. Rate includes breakfast for two and 2pm late checkout. My Loyalty Traveler rate analysis March 21showed this is a good value and usually lower than AAA rates.
Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond Challenge- Most beneficial perhaps is to tie this offer into a Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond Challenge for 12 nights in 60 days (normally 25 stays or 50 nights in calendar year). As Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond for 2012 you also will receive 4 confirmed suite upgrades. Start the Gold Passport Diamond Challenge first and then get the credit card once you have Diamond status to get confirmed suite upgrades for your credit card free nights. FlyerTalk discussion threadon Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond challenge.
Hyatt Visa Card Enhancements:Beginning October 1, 2012
Hyatt Gold Passport members receive elite nights and stays credit upon reaching $20,000 and $40,000 annual spend thresholds.
- Spend $20,000 = 2 stays and 5 nights elite credit toward Diamond status (new card feature as of October 1, 2012). Diamond status requires 25 stays or 50 nights in a Jan-Dec calendar year.
- Spend $40,000 = 5 stays and 10 nights elite credit toward Diamond status (new card feature as of October 1, 2012). Note: the 5 stays and 10 nights is total elite credit including the $20,000 elite credit stays and nights.
- Cardmembers earn 2 points for every $1 spent at restaurants, on airline tickets when purchased directly from the airline, and at car rental agencies (new card feature as of October 1, 2012).
Loyalty Traveler post: Hyatt Visa big spenders get elite nights and stays credit as of Oct. 1, 2012 October 9, 2012.
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) Priority Club Rewards
IHG 2-for-1 rate at new hotels in China. Book by Oct 16-Oct 22 for stays through March 31, 2013. Loyalty Traveler post: IHG China 2-for-1 rate, book Oct 16-22 Oct 14, 2012.
IHG Special Rate Offers
- 2-for-1 (select Exclusive 2-for-1 rate from drop-down menu)
- 2-for-1 rate Rock of Ages
- 2-for-1 rate BMW
- Save 35% Europe, Middle East and Africa weekend stays
- 3-for-2 (select Exclusive 3-for-2 rate from drop-down menu)
2012 Q4 Stay X times, Get Y points Codes Oct 1-Dec 31, 2012
Register at priorityclub.com/register
- Code 5502 = Stay 3 Nights = 5,000 Points
- Code 5504 = Stay 7 Nights = 10,000 Points
- Code 5508 = Stay 15 Nights = 15,000 Points
- You can’t change your offer so select carefully.
**** Priority Club PointBreaks 5,000 points per hotel reward night through December 10, 2012. Loyalty Traveler post: Priority Club PointBreaks hotels for stays to Dec 10, 2012October 8, 2012.
** Sep 4 – Nov 30: Holiday Inn Resorts $25 nightly credit for stays of 2 or more nights. Loyalty Traveler post Aug 27.
*** Sep 12-Dec 30, 2012: Priority Club 5,000 bonus points for 2-night stay at Staybridge Suites or Candlewood Suites Sep 12-Dec 30, 2012. Bonus may be earned one time only. Loyalty Traveler post: Candlewood or Staybridge Suites 5,000 points for 2-night stay Sep 12-Dec 30, 2012Sep 30, 2012.
LoyaltyLobby blog has a post with 8 other Priority Club promotion codesyou can also register for bonus points on this summer’s hotel stays.
- 6102 = Anniversary Bonus Offer 1,000 points per stayfor 90 days after registration.
- 2120 = Welcome Back Bonus 1,500 Priority Club pointsfor one stay within 90 days after registration. (Note – these have worked well for me in the past when I haven’t stayed the previous quarter.)
- 3107 = New Member Bonus 1,500 Priority Club pointsfor one stay within 90 days after registration. (Note – you probably will not get credit for more than one of the 2120/3107/5109 codes, but probably no harm in registering for all three.)
- 5109 = Next Stay Bonus 1,500 Priority Club pointsfor one stay within 90 days after registration. (Note – you probably will not get both the Welcome Back and Next Stay, but probably no harm in registering for both.)
- 8108 = 1,000 bonus points per stay for 60 days after registration.
- 5221 = Elite member Next Stay Bonus for Platinum members earns 3,000 bonus pointsfor next paid stay within 90 days of registration.
- 3136 = 5,000 points 2-night Weekend Stay Bonuson Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday before Dec 31, 2012. John at LoyaltyLobby states he has not received this bonus for his stays.
- 3168 = Platinum member 5,000 bonus points for 5 nights by November 30, 2012.
***** Marriott Rewards – Fall MegaBonus 2012: Sep 15 – Jan 15, 2013. Earn one free night certificate at a category 1-4 hotel every two stays; maximum 3 free nights. Free night certificate is valid for 12 months from issuance. Some members may have been targeted with a different bonus points offer. Loyalty Traveler post August 3, 2012.
**** August 1 – November 30, 2012: Earn 1,200 Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards points with purchase of $100 Marriott Gift Card. Maximum of 12,000 Rapid Rewards points with $1,000 purchase. Loyalty Traveler post August 20.
Note to Marriott Rewards members: You must have your Marriott Rewards account earning preference set to miles in order to see Marriott Rewards miles promotions. You will not see MegaBonus points promotions for your account when your account is set to earn miles.
Marriott MegaMiles 3x miles July 1 – October 31, 2012. Registration is required and earning preference must be set to miles to see offer and register.
Earn up to 6 miles per $1 spent at Marriott hotel brands. There are more than 30 participating airlines. My Loyalty Traveler June 18 postgives details on earn rates and a step-by-step on how to set your earning preference to miles to enable you to see this promotion offer in your account.
Starwood Preferred Guest
*** Oct 1 – Dec 20 SPG double points for 1 and 2 night stays; triple points for stays of 3 nights or more. Plus there is a 250 points online booking bonus for spg.com or 500 points for SPG iPhone app bookings. Loyalty Traveler post August 23. 250 additional points with Four Square check-in.
***** Starwood 5 nights earns 5,000 Aeroplan miles and Starpoints Sep 10-Dec 9, 2012 for stays in USA and Canada. These are bonus miles in addition to normal points earned. 3,000 bonus points if 3 nights in Canada at Starwood Hotels. Loyalty Traveler post Oct 9, 2012.
***** SPG now allows members to receive elite stay and night credit for up to 3 rooms per stay when they are reserved and paid by the SPG member. Loyalty Traveler June 19 post on earning SPG elite credit for multiple rooms.
Sep 27 – Nov 26, 2012 Earn 5,500 bonus points on 2nd and 4th stays. This bonus only applies to the second and fourth stays, and is in addition to normal 10 points per $1 spent at Wyndham brands. Loyalty Traveler post: Wyndham Rewards 5,500 points for 2nd and 4th stays Sep 27-Nov 26, 2012October 3, 2012
Loyalty Traveler Destination Posts
September 2012 was a travel monthfor me with trips to Manhattan-New York, Barcelona, Spain and a hosted Costa Brava tour (60 miles north of Barcelona) after the TBEX Europe conference in Girona, Spain.
SPG Amex Star trips and New York.Airfare, hotel stays were free courtesy of SPG Amex Stars gig. Thoughts are my own.
- Experiencing US Open Tennis with SPG Amex (Sep 10, 2012)
- Manhattan Upper West Side Stories (Sep 10, 2012)
- Hot Summer in Fun New York (Sep 11, 2012)
- Westin New York at Times Square (Sep 12, 2012)
- Circumnavigating Manhattan Island on Circle Line Cruise (Sep 15, 2012) – media free trip from Circle Line Cruise.
- Circumnavigating Manhattan on Circle Line Cruise – Part 2 (Sep 16, 2012) – media free trip from Circle Line Cruise.
- Mercedes-Benz New York Fashion Week Experience (Sep 18, 2012)
- My hassle-free stay @W New York Union Square (Oct 5, 2012)
On my own in Barcelona, Spain and Travel Blog Exchange TBEX12 Europe, Girona, Spain with 4-day Costa Brava Tourism post-conference sponsored trip.
- Oh My Gaudi, I’m in Barcelona (Sep 18, 2012)
- Street life in Barcelona and La Mercè Festival (Sep 19, 2012)
- W Barcelona Extreme WOW Suite (Sep 19, 2012)
- Tranquilo life in Poblenou, Barcelona (Sep 27, 2012)
- Best Western Alfa Aeropuerto Barcelona (Sep 30, 2012)
- Parc Güell: Gaudi’s vision in the hills of Barcelona (Oct 1, 2012)
- Four Points Diagonal Barcelona on the Poblenou (Oct 3, 2012)
- Holiday Inn Express-City 22 Barcelona (Oct 9, 2012)
TBEX12 Girona, Spain and Costa Brava Toruism Board sponsored tour
- Catalunya Castells Human Towers–TBEX12 @CostaBrava (Sep 20, 2012)
- TBEX Girona, the Pyrenees and Beaches of Costa Brava (Sep 24, 2012)
- Walking Costa Brava at Lloret de Mar (Sep 25, 2012)
- Traveler Impressionism in Costa Brava, Spain (Sep 29, 2012)
- Tossa de Mar, Costa Brava–Blue Paradise (Oct 11, 2012)
- Hotel Diana, modernist boutique in Tossa de Mar, Spain (Oct 12, 2012)
5-Star Promotion Scale
Loyalty Traveler ranks the consumer value of some hotel loyalty promotions on a Five–Star Scale.
Five ***** = one of the best hotel loyalty promotions of the year.
Four ****= high value rebate on the cost of hotel stays.
Three ***= good value hotel loyalty promotion or rate offer
Two **= a bonus value if you play, but not necessarily worth going out of your way.
One *= There is limited or no value. You are likely paying more than the bonus value.
Rate discounts and loyalty program bonuses are two types of hotel chain incentives to consider when booking travel.
Rankings are subjective and subject to change. Your specific travel pattern may result in some promotions ranking more favorably for you.
When assigning a rank I take into consideration the following factors and probably more:
- The opportunity for significantly high-value return on hotel spend in terms of future hotel rebate in free nights and discounted hotel nights.
- Past loyalty program offers and rates for the specific hotel chain and loyalty program
Ric Garrido, writer and content owner of Loyalty Traveler, shares news and views on hotels, hotel loyalty programs and vacation destinations for frequent guests. You can follow Loyalty Traveler on Twitter and Facebook and RSS feed.