I got an email from US Airways today that invited me to get 15,000 bonus US Airways Dividend Miles for spending $1,250 per month on my US Airways MasterCard for each month from February – April. From looking on Flyertalk and Milepoint, it looks like many others were also targeted for this offer, so I decided it was wide-spread enough that it was worth talking about. Just to give some background, I got my US Airways MasterCard in about November 2011, and have only made two purchases on it thus far. So it is fair to say that I am not a “heavy user” of that card by any stretch of the imagination.
In total this bonus offer comes to $3,750 of new purchases on that card over the span of three months. That amount of purchases is similar to the amount typically required to qualify for many new sign-up bonus offers on various rewards credit cards. However, 15,000 bonus miles is much lower than the amount you usually get for meeting a minimum spending requirement for a sign-up bonus on a new credit card. That being said, I am absolutely going to take advantage of this offer for a couple different reasons. Here are a few of my thoughts:
- One reason I want to take advantage of this promo is that I don’t have any other card that I am working on a minimum spending requirement for currently. I probably will get a new card with a minimum spending requirement at some point before the end of April, but I can plan accordingly and not over-commit myself.
- Second, $1,250 is not much more than the cost of monthly daycare for us, so while it is a lot of money, given our family’s expenses it isn’t that significant of an amount to shift toward this card for a few months.
- I really like US Airways Dividend Miles as they can be used to book Continental award flights, so these are some bonus miles that I very much would like to see deposited in my account.
- This offer essentially comes to a bonus of 4 miles per dollar spent, which is pretty great. When you consider the original one mile per dollar, it is really more like a 5x offer. We can be sure to just put items on here (like daycare) that won’t earn us bonus miles on any other card, and then we will be earning five times the number of miles for those purchases that we otherwise would. That is pretty awesome in my book.
- These are 15,000 bonus miles that don’t require us opening a new account or having a new inquiry on our credit reports. Sure, 15,000 miles is lower than most credit card sign-up bonuses that are out there these days, but this deal comes without some of the extra hassles and hurdles that can come from getting a new credit card.
In case you were curious, here are some of the official terms and conditions of this offer:
Offer is valid for select cardmembers and is not transferable. You will earn 15,000 bonus miles after you charge over $1,250 in net retail purchases (purchases that are not returned or rescinded) each month from February 1, 2012 through April 30, 2012. If you do not spend over $1,250 in any of the 3 months of the promotion, you will not be eligible for any bonus miles as part of this offer. To receive your bonus miles, your account must be open and in good standing. Purchases made during periods when your account is delinquent, your balance exceeds your credit line or your account is otherwise not in good standing as defined in your Credit Card Cardmember Agreement do not qualify for this offer. Your bonus miles will appear on your statement up to 6-8 weeks after the end of the promotion. Net retail purchases do not include such things as the purchase of money orders, traveler’s checks, foreign currency, lottery tickets, gambling chips, wire transfers, person-to-person money transfers or using the account to obtain a cash advance.
If you have a US Airways card, did you get targeted for this offer? Do you typically use your card a lot, or are you an infrequent user like me? Will you be jumping on this offer, or putting your purchases toward another card instead?