Before I talk about the next Daily Getaways deal, I want to do a quick recap of how the first day of the Daily Getaways Deals went. I was successful in purchasing one package of 25,000 Priority Club points today from the Daily Getaways Day One sale. I got in right when the presale started, but within a minute or two the presale packages had been spoken for. There was some confusion as a code was posted for the presale earlier in the day on Facebook, but then that code changed before the sale started. The regular sale opened an hour after the presale, and the majority of the points packages went just as quickly as they did in the presale. Some became available a few minutes after the sale started when people who put them in their cart didn’t check-out after their allotted five minutes.
After a few minutes, people started getting error messages which may have meant the packages were sold out, or may have been a glitch that prevented people from purchasing before the packages were sold out. Another lesson learned from today is to have your rewards program number ready when you go to make the purchases. Sign-up ahead of time if you don’t have a rewards member number with a particular company that you want to purchase points for, like Wyndham.
Okay, enough about Day One, now on to the Day Two deals. These deals consist of a one-day rental from Avis for $33 or Avis Chairman’s Club membership for $1115.
One day Avis rental for $33 (520 available, 100 during the presale):
- One savings certificate via U.S. mail
- Must use the certificate by March 31, 2013
- You may purchase up to 7 certificates.
- Receive a one day rental and mileage charges on the rental of any car group up to a Premium (group G) car.
- This offer is valid at any participating Avis location in the U.S. (excluding the New York Metro area), Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- No more than seven (7) coupons may be used on one (1) rental at any given time.
- You must present it at the rental counter for redemption. You must make an advance reservation by calling 1-800-331-1212 or by visiting Avis.com. Twenty-four hour advance reservation is required.
- Cars must be returned to renting location.
- Taxes, concession recovery fees, vehicle license recovery fee, customer facility charges ($10/contract in CA) may apply and are the responsibility of the bearer
- May not be used in conjunction with any other promotion, or offer.
- Avis reserves the right to alter terms and conditions and use of coupon certificates.
- Avis reserves the right to refuse or expire coupon certificates at any time without prior notification.
Okay, in all fairness I have had some instances where this would potentially be useful. I remember needing a one day rental car in the middle of the week in Dallas and all of the rates were about $70 and up for the day. It was crazy, so I do know that it is possible that a $33 (or roughly $30 with the Amex discount) rental would be a good deal. However, the majority of the time I can get rates for rental cars much better than $33 per day. This can be redeemed up to a Premium group car, so that is nice, but certainly isn’t enough to make me spend $33 for this deal. You also won’t be earning points on this deal, so factor that in as well. If the New York Metro area were included, I would be very interested in that price.
If you look carefully at some of the details I have bulleted above, the last two bullet points are the ones I find the most interesting. These are taken from the terms and conditions of the deal. I’m sure the likelihood of Avis expiring or refusing the certificates is low, but I just don’t like that term at all.
Avis Chairman’s Club Membership for $1115 (12 available):
- Through July 31, 2013, enjoy streamlined travel and personalized service from the airport to your car and back with Meet-and-Greet service and Personal Return Valet service. An Avis representative will meet you and escort you directly to your waiting car and, on your return, he or she will take you right to your departure terminal.
- Avis will always have a car for you, even if you don’t have a reservation.
- Membership benefits available at participating locations in the U.S. and Canada
- Avis will deliver a car anywhere within 25 miles of participating Avis locations.
- Upgrade to best car is based on best available car at the time of rental when you reserve an intermediate-level car or higher. Free upgrade to the best car available does not apply to Cool Cars (X car group) or to long-term rentals
- Membership open to U.S. residents only. Must be 25 years or older to qualify for membership. U.S. driver’s license must be in good standing to qualify for membership.
Truth be told, rental cars for me are often an after-thought on trips, so the idea of paying over $1000 to have a better rental car experience is something that I would not personally consider doing. However, I have heard great stories from Gary at View From the Wing about the good experiences he has with this service, so I didn’t want to ignore the deal completely. Getting dropped off at the terminal, and always getting the best car on the lot when just reserving an intermediate car is pretty sweet, but as he points out, you have to rent a bunch of cars in order to make the price tag worth it. Always getting dropped off at the terminal would make the rental car experience with kiddos much better than the whole shuttle bus routine, but for the price, I will be sitting on the sidelines for this one.
Remember to “like” Avis on Facebook if you want to participate in the presale for the $33 rental. Will you be trying to purchase one of these deals tomorrow or sitting on the sidelines like me?