You can get 1,000 free United MileagePlus miles by downloading the MileagePlus Shopping Assistant. You must then perform one search or purchase using the shopping assistant to get the bonus miles. I don’t like to have these toolbars or assistants installed on my computer for the long-term as I like to use various shopping portals, and don’t want to risk having my purchases credited to the wrong one. However, if you (or a family member) never remember to go through a portal anyway, then having an automatic “Shopping Assistant” may actually be a really good thing. Getting some extra miles for your online shopping is better than not getting any extra miles for shopping online!
I plan to install this on my mom’s computer and leave it as she never remembers to go through a portal for her purchases. I wish that Ultimate Rewards had a shopping assistant, as that would be the one I would put on her computer if it was available. Are you listening Chase?
For my own computer, I will likely be installing, using the Shopping Assistant for a few searches, and then uninstalling shortly thereafter.
Here are some details about taking advantage of this 1,000 mile offer:
Eligible browsers include IE 7+, Firefox 5+, Google Chrome 11+ and Safari 5.x+ on Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP and Mac OS X
Note: You must be logged in to MileagePlus Shopping using your MileagePlus user name and password in order to download the MileagePlus Shopping Assistant.
To qualify for the initial download 1,000 bonus miles offer, make at least one search or purchase using the Shopping Assistant. Bonus offer is only valid for the initial download and install of the Shopping Assistant. Not valid on subsequent downloads or installs. Offer ends 10/31/12.
And then here are instructions on how to uninstall the Shopping Assistant if you decide not to keep it forever:
To uninstall United MileagePlus Shopping Assistant please use the MileagePlus Shopping Assistant’s Uninstall functionality by following these steps:
- From the United MileagePlus Shopping Home page, select the Uninstall option of the MileagePlus Shopping drop down menu.
- The Shopping Assistant will ask the member if they “would like to uninstall the Assistant?” Yes or No are the options.
- If Yes selected, the Assistant Uninstall overlay will appear and identify the toolbar folder location in your computer. If the folder is confirmed, click the Uninstall button at the bottom of the Setup overlay box.
- The Assistant Uninstall will begin uninstalling from the selected folder. Notice the uninstallation bar for progressions, during which an instructive alert message will appear to prompt the member to “Restart internet browsers to uninstall,” click OK to restart your internet browser.
- An alert insert message will advise when the Setup has successfully uninstalled. Notice the uninstallation bar should be completed filled before clicking the Continue button to restart the internet browser and return to the United MileagePlus Shopping experience.
I will add that some people have had trouble getting credit for similar offers with other toolbars in the past, and some people don’t like their information being tracked by anyone. So, basically just decide for yourself whether this is worth your time or not. I will be participating in one way for myself, and another way for my parents. I can’t turn down 1,000 free United miles!