Whether you are happy or sad about last night’s election results, here is a promotion that we can all get behind…Small Business Saturday. Not only do we get free money to spend courtesy of American Express, but it goes to small businesses! Just like in years past, it appears you can register each of your Amex cards beginning on November 18th, and then on Small Business Saturday (11/24) you spend $25 or more at a participating small business in one transaction and you will receive a $25 statement credit from Amex.
Amex issued cards like the Starwood Preferred Guest Amex and Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card will count, but historically so have non-Amex issued cards like the Citibank American AAdvantage Amex. Additionally, Amex authorized user cards that have unique card numbers have also counted for their own $25 statement credit. I expect that will be the same this year, but we will know for sure on 11/18 when registration opens.
The one main difference that I can tell from last year is that it says that participating businesses are listed on the Shop Small Map. That is good as it gives a real list of places that qualify, but the non-chain restaurants I visited last year are not on the list even though they are small business and they accept Amex (update: it is on there when I manually searched through everything in the zip code, it just didn’t come up via the search.). Don’t just count on visiting the stores you went to last year without checking the map first. I did find my daughter’s preschool on the map though, so that is very exciting! The transactions do need to be processed in the store.
Here are the terms and conditions:
- Limit one (1) $25 statement credit per American Express Card. To be eligible, Cardmembers must enroll an eligible American Express Card in this offer at ShopSmall.com. Prepaid and Corporate Cards are not eligible.
- The number of enrollments is limited. Enrollment opens at 12:00AM MST (“Mountain Standard Time”) on November 18, 2012, and will continue until 11:59PM MST on November 24, 2012 unless the enrollment limit is reached sooner.
- To receive the $25 statement credit, the Cardmember must use his or her enrolled Card to spend $25 or more in a single, in-store transaction at a qualifying small business location on Saturday, November 24, 2012. To receive the credit, the transaction must equal $25 or more (for example, if your transaction is only for $15, you will not receive a credit). Multiple transactions of less than $25 will not qualify even if the combined total of those transactions is over $25. You may purchase multiple items that together equal $25 or more, but you must purchase them in a single transaction to receive the statement credit.
- Qualifying small business locations are those identified on the Shop Small® Map, available at ShopSmall.com. In addition, small business locations that accept American Express through Square also qualify and can be found on the Square Directory at https://squareup.com/directory/?cmpId=amex or from your mobile phone using the Square Wallet app. Small business locations that do not appear on the Shop Small® Map or that do not accept American Express through Square will not qualify for the $25 statement credit offer. Please note that business location information provided on the Shop Small® Map and Square Directory may contain inaccuracies or errors, including as a result of information provided by third parties. Transactions with political campaigns or political action committees are not eligible, regardless of whether they appear on the Shop Small® Map or in the Square Directory.
- If American Express does not receive information that identifies a transaction as having occurred in-store at a qualifying small business location, the transaction will not qualify for the statement credit. For example, the following transactions will not be eligible for the credit: transactions made using an electronic wallet or any other transaction made through a third party; and transactions not made directly with the merchant.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 8 weeks after American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Note that American Express may not receive information about your qualifying purchase from the merchant until all of the items from your qualifying purchase have been provided or shipped by the merchant.
- The Card Registration Terms and Conditions will also apply at enrollment.
Important Note: Merchants that began to accept American Express after October 15, 2012 will not appear on the map and will not be eligible for the American Express $25 Statement Credit Cardmember Offer. Small business locations that accept American Express through Square also qualify for the $25 statement credit offer but may not appear on this map. For information about small business locations that use Square, please visit the Square Directory at https://squareup.com/directory/?cmpId=amex or from your mobile phone using the Square Wallet app. Please note that business location information provided on this map and Square Directory may contain inaccuracies or errors, including as a result of information provided by third parties. Transactions with political campaigns and political action committees are not eligible, regardless of whether they appear on the Shop Small® Map or in the Square Directory.
Set your calendars for 11/18 so that you are ready to register all of your Amex cards in order to maximize this promotion and help small businesses! I have to do a count of all my current Amex cards to get an exact number, but I would suspect that my family will bring in close to $200 thanks to Small Business Saturday. Thanks Max M on Milepoint for sharing the registration date!
Disclosure: I do receive a commission if you are approved for a card using one of my affiliate links. As always, thanks for your support!