As I wrote about in April, I was thrilled to be approached by the Starwood American Express to join their SPG Amex Stars program, whereby I’ll get to experience a lot of the great benefits of the Starwood American Express credit card throughout the year. Best of all, for each experience I have, a lucky winner will have an equally awesome experience as well. Over the year the Starwood American Express will be sponsoring giveaways for 210,000 SPG points plus a $250 American Express gift card.
What we’re giving away:
This giveaway is in conjunction with my recent stay at the new St. Regis Bal Harbour, which I wrote about yesterday. The hotel costs 30,000 SPG points per night, so this giveaway will be for 60,000 SPG points. If there’s one giveaway to participate in it’s this one, since it’s the single biggest points prize.
What you can do with 60,000 SPG points:
- Spend two nights at the St. Regis Bal Harbour.
- Spend 21 nights at Le Meridien Bangkok using Starwood’s awesome Cash & Points option. Instead of redeeming 7,000 SPG points per night you can redeem 2,800 points plus $45 per night, which is a spectacular value.
- Convert them to 75,000 airline miles with American, Delta, US Airways, or any of a number of other airlines. For every 20,000 points you transfer to an airline program, you get a 5,000 point bonus, which for me is one of the key selling points of the card.
- Spend 24 nights at Le Meridien Chiang Rai. The hotel can be as cheap as 3,000 SPG points per night, and when redeeming SPG points for free nights the fifth night is free. So at 3,000 points per night with the fifth night free, 10 nights at Le Meridien Chiang Rai takes only 24,000 SPG points.
Or you can just mix and match all of the above.
Why I love St. Regis properties:
Before we get into the giveaway, I do want to point out that I think St. Regis is my new favorite hotel brand, now that I’ve stayed at a few of their properties over the past year. As you may have noticed in my recent reviews I’ve been leveraging American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts and Virtuoso for shorter stays at Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons properties. The benefits can be great, but it’s always frustrating not to earn valuable points or loyalty program benefits for those stays. Four Seasons doesn’t have a loyalty program, while Ritz Carlton does, though it’s similar to Marriott Rewards, which in my opinion isn’t nearly as good as Starwood or Hyatt. So while it’s a great loyalty program for a luxury hotel chain, it still can’t compete with the “mainstream” programs, in my opinion.
That’s the beauty of St. Regis. Their properties are on par with Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton, with the advantage of being tied in with what I consider to be one of the best hotel loyalty program. It’s awesome as a Platinum member to get free breakfast, late check-out, suite upgrades, and free internet, not to mention to earn valuable elite qualifying nights and points towards elite status and free nights. That’s not even factoring in the fact that most St. Regis properties belong to American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts and Virtuoso, whereby you can “double dip” benefits and get free breakfast, room upgrades, guaranteed late check-out, and an added amenity like a $100 food and beverage credit. It’s really pretty awesome.
How to enter:
While some of the future giveaways will be run through the blog, this one will be run through Twitter. Here’s how to enter:
1. Follow @OneMileataTime on Twitter.
3. You can Tweet me once per calendar day (let’s define that as 12:00AM EDT till 11:59PM EDT), and the contest will run through 11:59PM EDT on Monday, August 6.
For example, an eligible Tweet would be:
@OneMileataTime I’d stay at the St. Regis Bal Harbour #SPGAMEX
While I won’t post the full four pages of terms and conditions, the basics are that you have to be at least 18 years old and have an SPG account to be eligible to win. The winner will also have to complete a W9 (ARV of prize is $1,500). If anyone needs any clarification, feel free to ask below in the comments section or email me.
Picking a winner:
A winner will be picked at random within a week of the end of the giveaway. Each eligible Tweet counts as one entry, so the more days you enter, the better your chance of winning. If my math is right you can enter up to 14 times.
Good luck and happy Tweeting!