Avianca is offering a 100% bonus on up to 75,000 purchased LifeMiles through December 28, 2012, a similar promotion to the one they ran in September. With the 100% bonus that’s a maximum of a total of 150,000 LifeMiles through this promotion. Points usually cost 3.0 cents each, so through this promotion you’re looking at 1.5 cents per point.
As Gary lays out, the positives are:
- The award chart is pretty reasonable
- One-way awards are available for half the cost of roundtrip
- They offer cash and points awards bookings. As long as you have at least 40% of the miles needed for an award in your account, you can buy the difference in miles for US$12.75 per 1000 miles. That’s less than 1.3 cents per mile.
- No fuel surcharges on awards
- Online booking of Star Alliance partners
But there are also downsides, including:
- No stopovers are allowed
- Their call center makes US Airways’ look good
- They don’t let you mix cabins on an award ticket, which can be extremely frustrating
Anyway, I know this will interest some, though I’ll sit this one out. You must have an account before December 3, 2012, in order to be eligible.