- Training in Dublin so why not spend the weekend in Nice?
- 4800 Starpoints and $99 for a non-refundable classic room.
- High upgrade chances – SPG.com shows availability both weekend days for Junior & Presidential suites as well as Deluxe rooms with gigantic patios overlooking the Mediterranean.
- Arrival – SPG Platinum recognition and 500 SPG points, no upgrade as “there is no availability”. Tiny classic room with virtually no view. Armed with my iPhone back down to the check-in desk to prove availability for both nights. I’m told it’s a mistake and that the manager is on break until 1am (it’s 12). I skip unpacking and head out to walk the streets and the coastline for an hour.
- Back @ 1 – Manager explains that the mobile website is not synched correctly with local inventory and only the main site is accurate. Upstairs to grab the MacBook Air. SPG.com – both room types still showing available Friday – Sunday. Back downstairs.
- Success – Manager rolls eyes and sends a bell boy to show me both rooms. I decide on the Deluxe corner room for the larger wrap-around patio with an awesome view, though the suite had a huge bathroom. Love my new room!
- Everything else about the hotel is great as well – next morning awesome lunch of tuna nicoise on the roof-deck with some swimming while waiting, great views, and then off to the Le Méridien private beach.
- The private beach – why deal with the rocks and a little pain, the Le Méridien has mats to protect your feet while walking to your lounge chair and they have a dock leading you far out into the water where there is only sand. Warm water and great swimming. Waiter service (ridiculously priced) but the watermelon looked to good to resist. Great stay so far , full trip report to follow…