I am not a huge fan of the Marriott Rewards program. From my experiences, Marriott properties are the most consistent of any major chain…..and that bothers me a little. 80% of my goal in collecting hotel points is for aspirational stays and the remaining 20% is to save money. I use Marriott almost exclusively in the 20%.
Generally if I can find a halfway decent promotion from Hyatt or SPG, I will go that route to increase my balance of points to be used for aspirational stays. Unfortunately the current promotions running across most every chain are yawners. In a fit of desperation I logged into my Marriott account to find two stackable promotions that are lucrative enough to steer my business away from my two favorite programs.
First off is the Unexpected Bonus which is offering me a free category 1-5 hotel stay for two stays at a Marriott. Keep in mind everyone has a specific offer but this appears to be the most common offering this time around. Generally I have only been offered a category 1-4 which still doesn’t get me into most larger airport hotels. I perused the Category 5 listings and found several great properties, some of which move into that hypothetical “aspirational” range.
Second is the Escape the everyday which adds a 5000 bonus if the two stays are at a SpringHill Suites.
The bottom line
While I wouldn’t go mattress run to take advantage of these offers, I do believe the tandem creates the best hotel promotion currently on the market by a solid margin. I had a couple of SPG stays booked but I will cancel them to move my business to Marriott. I would recommend checking your Marriott account online to see which promotion(s) you are offered. The first promotion starts May 15 while the second is live now.
The first quarter hotel promotions are out and it is time to sign up. Here is a quick round up of some of the latest hotel promotion offers. Starwood Preferred Guest Power Up The Starwood Preferred Guest promotion is called Power Up. This promotion offers 2,000 bonus points for every eligible four nights up to 16 nights… continue reading
Marriott and Delta have teamed up to offer 1,000 bonus miles for every stay at select JW Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott Hotels & Resorts or Gaylord Hotels. The promotion is valid for stays completed through February 15, 2013. You still have time to make your hotel reservations under this promotion as it is valid for… continue reading
The Marriott New York East Side is located on the Lexington between 49th and 48th street, just north of the Hyatt 48 Lex. While just next door, the Marriott is worlds away from the Hyatt 48 Lex. It’s 629 rooms is gives the opposite feel from the small loft style of the Hyatt. At a… continue reading
I started to look more closely at Marriott’s redemption opportunities after achieving Marriott Platinum status in only 9 stays and I’m liking what I’m seeing. First, I reported that you can redeem for Ritz Carlton award redemptions with a 10,000 point discount. In this post, we’ll share how you can redeem 25% fewer points for… continue reading
I used to say that I liked my Marriott Gold status and I’d keep it, that is until I found out you can get Marriott Platinum status after only 9 stays. Marriott may not be everyone’s favorite hotel chain to maintain status in, but I very much find value. Especially in redeeming the points for… continue reading
One of my favorite things about the Marriott Rewards program is that I can redeem Marriott Rewards points at Ritz Carlton hotels. Did you know you can save Marriott points when redeeming for Ritz Carlton hotel stays? In this post we’ll share how to take advantage of the Marriott Ritz Carlton point saver award redemptions…. continue reading
Marriott is giving away a chance to win a Marriott bed every day for 30 days. Speaking of Marriott beds, if you love staying at Marriott and their beds, you’ll love getting Platinum status after only 9 stays. We’ll share how you can enter to win a bed and get Marriott Platinum status in only… continue reading
Think fast. Where is the tallest hotel in the Western Hemisphere? New York? Chicago? Toronto?….. All good guesses but the answer is surprisingly Detroit, Michigan. The Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center at 73 stories makes it the tallest hotel in the Western Hemisphere. A few weekends ago, I grabbed 2 free Southwest award tickets… continue reading
Marriott has teamed up with Delta and a number of other participating airlines to offer triple SkyMiles on all stays this fall. Register and stay at any participating Marriott hotel between July 1 and October 31, 2012 to earn triple Delta SkyMiles. You’ll start earning triple SkyMiles starting with your second stay during the qualifying… continue reading