Drive-By Miles and Points
Author’s note: TopGuest has brought to my attention that ‘drive-by’ check-ins to their program can result in people being barred from TopGuest. My intention was never to promote anything that would be against their Terms and Conditions. This was supposed to poke fun at people who ‘drive-by’ for points. I encourage everyone to read my clarification post.
Who would not like to get Hotel Points for just driving by a hotel? No need to check-in. Heck, don’t even bother to park. Just drive by… and wear your seatbelt and obey the speed limit. That’s exactly how you can earn points with TopGuest. All you need is a TopGuest account and a GPS enabled smartphone. I am even earning points on my (almost) obsolete BlackBerry.
TopGuest is a new breed of Mobile companies that rewards users for ‘check-ins’.
Here is how it works:
- Create a TopGuest account on their website or via their mobile app.
- Link the TopGuest account to your Facebook, Foursquare, Instagram, Twitter or Gowalla account (only one is required). You HAVE to have one of these apps on your phone or be able to get to their mobile website.
- Link TopGuest to your hotel rewards program. As of today, TopGuest works with HiltonHonors, Priority Club and a few others. See the complete list here. The only airline it works with is Virgin America’s Elevate program.
- Next time you are close to one of the hotels on their list (DoubleTree’s only for HiltonHonors), ‘check-in’ to the hotel on Facebook or Foursquare or another supported app on your phone. The GPS locator on your phone will get your location and show the hotel on the list of places you can ‘check-in’ to, based on your location.
- Keep on driving. (Obey all handsfree laws and keep your eye on the road while doing all this. Safer to pull over and use your phone or have a passenger do it.)
- You have earned your reward! Typical reward is 50 points.
For people who live near a hotel on the TopGuest list, you don’t even have to leave home. Wake up every morning and get your 50 points before your first cup of coffee.I will plead the fifth if asked where I live and how I got all the HiltonHonors points….