This is post #2 of a series regarding the British Airways Avios program.
- Earn 50,000 Avois Points for British Airways Credit Card
- Earning and Redeeming a British Airways Companion Ticket
- Creating a Household Account with British Airways
- Top 10 Redemption Opportunities for British Airways Avios Points
- Get a $50 Statement Credit with British Airways Credit Card
With the new 100k British Airways Avios offer that was just announced, I wanted to highlight a potential perk of the credit card – a free companion ticket when you spend $30,000 on the card in one calendar year. NOTE: This offer is now 50,000 points for new applicants, no longer 100,000 points. This “Travel Together Ticket” is valid for a companion to fly with you (the cardmember) in any cabin when you redeem your Avios points for a free flight.
- Spend $30,000 on your British Airways Visa Signature Card in a calendar year (not rolling 12-months)
- Voucher is valid for two years from the date issued
- Free ticket will still need to pay applicable taxes, fees, fuel surcharges
- Companion must travel with the cardmember on all segments
- Redemption Flights and vouchers may only be used for flights on British Airways mainline service
- You can only earn one voucher per calendar year regardless of spend on the card
- You will receive the voucher 4-6 weeks after the billing cycle where you hit the $30,000 in purchases
- You voucher cannot be extended or transferred
When first reading the new credit card offer, Mr. Deals said: “I am getting this card and putting all my business spend on the card – I want that free companion voucher!” However, what stands out to me the most is the terms and conditions that can easily be glossed over:
“Redemption Flights and vouchers may only be used for flights on British Airways mainline service, which have a BA prefixed flight number. Travel on franchise, codeshare or alliance airlines is not permitted.”
As you might remember from my first post on this offer, as a general rule of thumb the best redemption opportunities are for redeeming on US domestic travel and to South America (there are some other great routes as well which I will highlight in a later post). Both these flights are on partner airlines and not on BA operated flights, thus not allowing the companion voucher to be used. However, do not totally discard this perk. If you are looking to redeem on business or first class to Europe, this companion ticket could really come in handy given the cost to purchase this ticket could be $5,000+. For a first class round-trip ticket from JFK to London, for example, you can redeem 120,000 points + $ 1,096.21 per ticket. While I would NEVER pay for first class, these two tickets would have cost about $10,000 each. Ultimately, for about $2,000 and 120k points you are getting $20,000 worth of flights. This is giving you a redemption value of 10 cents per point – which is unbelievable!
- British Airways Chase Visa Application Link: 50,000 Avios points for new applicants after $1,000 in spend in the first 90 days; $95 annual fee; earn 1.25 miles per $1 spend on all purchases and 2.25 miles per $1 on all British Airways purchases; free companion pass valid for 2 years after spending $20,000 annually on your card; no foreign transaction fees. Card application link.