In my post a few days ago about spending $75 at Staples and getting a $25 statement credit, I mentioned that come Sunday (today) there will be an opportunity to maximize this deal as Staples is offering a $20 Staples gift card when you purchase $300 in MasterCard gift cards (after rebate).
While Staples doesn’t offer a $300 MasterCard gift card you can purchase a $100 and $200 one to get to the $300 amount needed. The $100 gift card costs $5.95 and the $200 gift card costs $6.95 as activation fees. While this will cost you $12.90 you will get a $20 Staples gift card which you can then use to purchase any item in store or another merchant gift card to use elsewhere.
To to take advantage:
- Sync your American Express card with the $25 statement credit after spending $75 offer (you must have an American Express, sync you card, and have the offer appear in your account)
- Sync either your American Express or Chase Ink Bold/Plus card with Plink (you can read more about Plink and their partnership with Staples here)
- Purchase a $100 MasterCard gift card with your synced Amex credit card – this will cost you $105.95
- Purchase a $200 MasterCard gift card with your Chase Ink Bold or Chase Ink Plus credit card – this will cost you $206.95 (update: I will be going to Staples tomorrow to ensure you can split your transaction into two different purchases – I suggest seeing instead if you can just split your transaction using two different credit cards)
- You will then get a statement credit of $25 and a Staples gift card worth $20
I will end up with… $300 in MasterCard cards (which I will then cash out via Amazon payments) + $20 Staples gift card + $25 statement credit + $3 in Plink points = $345
And I spent…. $312.90
So ultimately I am walking away with… profit of $35.10 and an extra 1,035 Ultimate Reward points (valued at $20ish), and 106 points from whatever Amex card you use (valued at about $2).
UPDATE: As a reader mentioned, you are best off paying for the $300 in one transaction and just do a split payment – $75 on the Amex card and the remaining amount of $237.90 on your Chase Ink Bold/Plus card. This will give you an extra 154 Chase Ultimate Reward points.
Not too bad for 10 minutes spent at Staples!