Marriott has come out with a public 70,000 point offer for their premier credit card (after meeting the minimum spend requirements of $1,000 within 3 months). This offer has been around in the past, some times through targeted emails/mail and others without a landing page. The standard offer has been 50,000 points after meeting the minimum spend requirements, and while that offer is still available, there is no reason to apply for that one when a better offer is available upon meeting the exact same minimum spend!
I personally have had the premier version of this credit card for 8 years now. It is actually the first points earning credit card I ever applied for! At that time I was staying at Marriott hotels 100+ nights a year and it was a great card to use to get 5 points per dollar spent on all my stays. While my travel habits changed a bit and I started staying at Starwood hotels more often, I moved over to the Starwood American Express. Even though I do not use the Marriott card often, it is still one that I keep in my wallet as I feel as though I get more out of this card than the $85 annual fee. You can read more about hotel credit cards where the benefits outweigh the annual fee here.
With the premier card, I get a free night annually that can be used at any category 1-5 hotel – this is one of the best perks of the card (you DO NOT get this annual certificate with the regular silver card). The certificate is good for 6 months from your card renewal, so keep this in mind when you are applying. Although, I have been able to get Marriott to extend the expiration date a few times. I typically use my free night at a hotel that would cost me $150-$200/night. This covers the $85 annual fee plus more. Additionally, I get 15 nights a year towards status. The past few years this has helped me maintain my platinum status. The 15 nights a year will guarantee you silver status at a bear minimum. These 15 nights get added to your account when you apply for the card and then every 12 months thereafter. Also, if you are interested in credit cards that will help you towards status, make sure to check out this post.
- Trip cancellation insurance — Reimbursement of non-refundable passenger fare due to covered cancellations and emergencies when tickets are purchased with your card (for both silver and premier card)
- Trip delay reimbursement — If your trip is delayed by more than 12 hours due to a covered event, you can be reimbursed for reasonable expenses, like meals and lodging (for both silver and premier card
- Nights toward status — Both cards will give you 1 night towards status for every $3,000 spent on the card
Bonus offer & card details:
- Earn 70,000 points after you spend $1,000 in your first three months
- 1 free night at a category 1-4 hotel after account approval (expires 6 months from the date it is earned)
- Earn 5 points for every $1 spent at over 3,600 Marriott® locations
- Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly with the airline, and at car rental agencies & restaurants
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on purchases anywhere else
- $0 introductory annual fee, then $85
- $0 foreign transaction fees
- Chip and Signature technology
If you are interested in this card, make sure to apply for the 70,000 point offer NOT the 50,000 point offer that you might advertised elsewhere (or even at Marriott hotels!)
This offer is NOT an affiliate link, but as promised, I will only list the best offers available!