Unfortunately for those that have the American Express Platinum card and like to frequent the American Airlines and US Airways Airport lounges will be out of luck starting March 22, 2014. As of that date, free access will not be granted to those two clubs as one of the perks of the Amex Platinum card. I am currently an Amex Platinum card holder and American Airlines is typically my airline of choice, so I am definitely not too pleased with this, especially due to the hefty fee that comes with the Platinum card.
After March 22, 2014, as a benefit of Platinum Card Membership, Card Members will continue to receive access to the following airport lounge networks:
- Participating Delta Sky Club® lounges
- Priority Pass(TM) Select: When you enroll in Priority Pass(TM) Select, you can access over 600 participating airport lounges worldwide – no matter what class or airline you fly
- Airspace Lounges in New York (JFK), Cleveland (CLE) and the Baltimore-Washington International (BWI) airports (learn more at airspacelounge.com)
- American Express is also excited to announce that Platinum/Business Platinum Card Members now have complimentary, unlimited access to the Centurion Lounges as a new benefit. This benefit began on September 30, 2013. The current lounges are in the Las Vegas McCarran airport and the Dallas/Fort-Worth airport. The lounges are the first of several American Express airport lounges that will open in major U.S. cities, and offer complimentary gourmet food, signature cocktails and curated wines, high speed Wi-Fi, a computer bar, and more. For more information, visit thecenturionlounge.com.
Fortunately, many readers have received targeted emails from American Express letting them know that due to the situation, they will receive a $200 or $500 (readers have received both thus far) credit that can be used on American and US Airways. This credit can be used towards:
- Membership fees in the Admirals Club program and US Airways Club
- One-day passes to Admirals Club lounges and US Airways Club lounges
- Other American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees like baggage fees or flight change fees (assuming it will work exactly the same as the annual $200 reimbursement benefit)
As I mentioned earlier, I am an American Express Business Platinum cardmember and the only email I received was letting me know of the loss and reminding me that I can use my annual $200 incidental benefit towards lounge access. I did not receive any targeted email giving me an extra $200-$500. I also have American Airlines set up as my airline of choice for my $200 reimbursement in incidentals. From what I have read from other reports, there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason why some were targeted and others were not. I actually have yet to call American to see if they can extend this promotion my way, but I’ve heard that others did not have much luck.
UPDATE: I was able to get a $100 incidental credit and when I mentioned that others were getting $200-$500 in credit, the representative was not able to see that promotion available for me, but was able to give me a $35 goodwill credit.
My annual fee is due in January and I was contemplating canceling the card anyways. With this perk gone, chances are VERY high that I will no longer be a cardmember. If they decide to extend the $200 or $500 credit my way though, I will most definitely change my mind!
Keep an eye out from American Express labeled “Important information about your Platinum Card(R) Account”.