With a HT to reader Marc I can say I am not a happy club “hopper” as Delta Corp Guy has posted this:

Update from DL on Club beverage changes – FT

Delta Sky Clubs are changing the selection of both complimentary and for-purchase premium alcoholic beverages beginning tomorrow. Complimentary well-known alcohol brands will still be provided at the Club just as they have been.

Altering our complimentary offerings will enable us to expand our portfolio of premium for-purchase products and maintain complimentary spirits, beer and wine as we continue to invest in the overall Club experience. We review our Club offerings periodically so that we are able to make changes based on customer feedback, financial considerations and other factors including the variety of options we offer our members.

The new offerings are comparable to house/well brands in other airport lounges.

• Complimentary spirits: Vodka – Gordon’s; Gin – Gordon’s; Rum – Myers’s Platinum; Scotch – Scoresby; Bourbon – Jack Daniel’s; Sweet Vermouth – Martini & Rossi; Extra Dry Vermouth – Martini & Rossi.
  • Complimentary beer: Budweiser and Miller Lite
  • Complimentary wine: no changes to current wine offerings

Other brands will be available through our for-purchase options available through our Luxury Bar. Our goal is to offer members quality products and services at reasonable prices that are competitive with other airport lounges while continuing to provide good value for membership.

__________________
DLCorpGuy  -  FT

I am all for Delta making as much money as they can from the Skyclubs but in NO WAY is Budweiser and Miller Lite a drinkable beer. I have said it before and will say it again, soon Delta will charge for AIR on the jets (unless it is a stinky CRJ 200 as they smell so bad that it would be criminal to charge for that air)! – René

Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card
RESERVE/PLATINUM/GOLD
from American Express®
Click here for more information

Posted by Delta Points | 32 Comments

32 Responses to “Delta DUMPS Blue Moon now just “Skunky Beer” for free (just when I got free DM club access)”

1. Annalise says:

This is ridiculous. My Klout score earned me an Admiral club pass and if I have a decent experience, you can count on me switching at renewal. It’s difficult to stay loyal to a program where every “new” is a “negative.”

2. Delta Points says:

@annalise – we call this an “Enhancement” :-(

3. jc says:

never been big on beer snobbery so miller lite and bud don’t evoke a passionate response either way. blue moon is ok and all, but if we’re going to go around bashing mass-produced beers, blue moon is on the short list of swill.

4. Delta Points says:

@JC – hey… I love my Blue Moon! :-)

5. Winston says:

I don’t understand all of these moves Rene. It would be one thing if they were losing money like before. But financially they have been doing great in the last several years, thanks to us loyal medallions. I’ve just about had it with these enhancements. From MQD’s, to SDC changes, to M no longer earning 50% Mqm’s, to devalued partner mqm earning, and now this skyclub enhancement. What’s next?

6. Gene says:

@Annalise — The complimentary liquor served in AAdmirals Clubs makes Gordon’s vodka look like Grey Goose. The AAdmirals club selection of complimentary alcohol is a disgrace!

7. Pondering says:

Rene please send me a link or any info to match my DM status to AA. I’ve researched and with USAIR merger, it may be time to entertain a change. BTW i earn status on segments. Thank you!

8. Delta Points says:

@Pondering – really – Blue Moon would make you leave Delta? OK! http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/qualification-requirements.jsp

9. Bill G says:

This is being discussed on a lot of forums and just about all the comments are negative. I feel removing the local beer option is disgusting move. You may still be able to purchase better stuff though.

Most SkyClubs have gone steadily downhill lately. Wifi is often totally unusable. Snack options have cheapened. Work areas have disappeared. And the prices charged for the premium stuff at their bars are just as expensive as at the establishments in the airport corridors — and some of those places have more comfortable seats and good wifi!

So really, I’m beginning to wonder what the point of it all is? Maybe a shower and a decent rep to deal with are of some value but not much else in my opinion. And I wouldn’t be surprised if showers are next on their hit list. (Well, either that or we’ll have to insert quarters into the bathroom stalls to use them.)

10. jon says:

Scoresby as Delta’s scotch!?!?! Tell me it isn’t so. This stuff is turpentine. I love pretty much every single malt and 95% of blends, but this is the cheapest crap on the market. Why would Delta insult its best customers? This is a business model that I do not understand.

11. aadvantagegeek says:

Everytime I read a Delta press release with words such as this:

“Altering our complimentary offerings will enable us to expand our portfolio of premium for-purchase products”

I’m reminded of Orwell’s warning to beware those who use language “to make lies sound truthful…and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind”.

:-)

12. DBest says:

When you going to change the name of this blog to delta[edit].com my friend? I guarantee you this movie ends badly.

13. I drink the pay wine anyway. But surely we are due something positive soon.

14. Dan says:

I find it interesting they serve Jack as a Bourbon which is a premium priced liqour yet serve Gordon’s for vodka and Gin, both of which are well liquors if a bar has them at all. Also, Jack is not Bourbon its a TN whiskey.

15. Delta Points says:

@Dan – I am with you. I love Woodford in flight and don’t my Jim Beam but Jack is just nasty to me and I will not drink it. Yuck!

16. Carl says:

Very disappointing. It cannot have cost much more to have better beer available by the keg.

17. Amanda S says:

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!! I’m from Wisconsin. Good beer is important. This is a big bummer.

18. SDFDan says:

Seriously? Jack as a bourbon offering….someone needs to key them in in the fact that Jack isn’t even bourbon, it’s whiskey. So not only is it disappointing, it’s all together wrong.

19. Steve G says:

Not a Blue Moon fan, but agree the remaining choices are worse. As for the complementary liquor I went through DTW (main club)on Sunday and again on Tuesday, and they didn’t have and Jack Daniels – just CC which is to sweet for my taste. So even the promised stuff is missing….

As a long time lifetime club member I won’t be switching, but as they decrease what they offer, I will advise others to not join.

20. traderprofit says:

Bud and Miller Lite: Before I’d drink these I’d drink sewer water filtered through a hobo’s [edit]

Gee, I can be snooty AND crude in the same post.

21. Marcos says:

I always prefer a local beer at the club vs something I can get anywhere. My bigger concern is that Delta ranks last on redemptions for miles and first on change fees and baggage fees for all airlines. Hope the president see how backwards those stats are for his business and those of us who are HVCs. I am adding a lot more Southwest to my miles mix this year.

22. Delta Points says:

@Marcos – you make such a good point that Delta does not seem to get. Delta is trying it seems to become the new SW AIR in terms of perks. Let me tell you, head-to-head, even for even, product for product, Delta will loose every day to SW AIR in “THAT” game. The only way Delta wins is give a better product and service to HVC’s – not try to make the as upset as they can be!

23. THEsocalledfan says:

If they really pull Summit Extra Pale Ale out of the MSP skyclubs, I will literally flip out.

I hope this falls on it face. I don’t understand why you would buy a membership then pay for a drink; isn’t that a big reason for the membership? (At least for me it is…)

24. Cory says:

@Amanda S I think we need to petition the MKE Skyclub to stock New Glarus. Or some other local brew.

25. Marcos says:

I really like the Sweetwater beer (?) in Atlanta

26. dot cahill says:

Blue Moon is so much better than bud and miller yuck..as for the complimentary wines that are not great either and to pay $$$to get their so called premium wines is sad as the so called prems are not really that upgraded they need a new WINE & Beer consultant…Andrea..where are u u are needed by Delta??

27. [...] Originally Posted by Pathfinder813 Supposedly, Delta will be offering more food like sushi according to a press release on the opening of T4. I think someone posted it above. I'm sure that within a few hours, one FTer will fill us in on if that's true or not. I can always rely on FT for correct info But at what cost? I did see the post about all the great stuff … maybe this will give you some insight http://boardingarea.com/deltap…m-club-access/ [...]

28. joe says:

Clearly Miller & Budweiser are acceptable beers since, oh I don’t know, millions of people drink it

29. Delta Points says:

@Joe – well millions of people take a huge part of their daily caloric intake each day from eating bugs but that does mean the rest of us HAVE to do the same! ;-)

30. EL says:

Having a “premium” selection is fine, but don’t make what used to be “standard”, now “premium”, that is the problem. Sky Vodka and Sweetwater (AND the EXCELLENT local beers offered at sky clubs across the country e.g. TPA & MSP) are not “premium”, just “drinkable” as opposed to Bud & Miller which are horrid crap.

I for one, will NOT renew @ $300+ to sit in a over-crowded club w/ dirty seats and tables and drink gordons and bud- eesh!

31. Rob says:

What happened to Heineken? I saw that all the time at ATL, nobody is bringing that up…

Delta Points is a divison of RDL Enterprises LLC. The opinions expressed in this site, unless the sources are otherwise explicitly given, are the author's own, and under no circumstance should be considered as suggestions or advice or a course of action to be taken by the reader. If you decide to follow what has been discussed on this site by the author or by those who comment, you are solely responsible for the consequences of your own actions. Delta Points make no promises or guarantees whatsoever and the ideas shared may or may not work for your particular situation and your results may vary. In accordance with federal guidelines, Delta Points is required to disclose any relationship Delta Points has with a product manufacturer or service provider when Delta Points writes about the product or service on this site. Much of the time, Delta Points does have a financial relationship with most, if not all, of the companies mentioned on this site. Delta Points is benefiting financially from most of the things you click on, read, or look at while you are on this site. Many of the links that Delta Points posts about will have an affiliate connection. If you decide to purchase the product or service through an affiliate link, Delta Points will get paid a commission. Delta Points attempts to keep all information on this site up to date, however that's not always possible given how quickly information can change. Act accordingly.