targeded delta airlines offers delta points blog

One thing is for sure – we have entered the new reality of targeted offers. Delta E-mails us targeted offers; AMEX E-mails us targeted offers; SPG E-mails us targeted offers (you see a trend?)!

I really dislike this in our modern tech age since we all get to find out about them at some point. To me, this does nothing but upset those who are loyal to a company and frequently can not take part in a promotion. As a Diamond Medallion with Delta I almost NEVER get any promotions I can register for (yeah yeah granted I already get a ton of perks but still).

Just what kind of promotions am I talking about? How about these just to point out a few:

and the list goes on and on. From a marketing side I see the desire to target a sub-group of clients you want to encourage to spend more or do more with the company. But from a public relation side, each one of these little stabs say to me:

You are not eligible to participate in this promotion. Please check out our other great offers on the My Promotions page.”

This makes me feel a little less appreciated by the company that I am loyal to and next time when I go to book and I hit “confirm” or “buy now” button it will make me think of the fact that last time a promotion was offered – I GOT A ROCK! – René

Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card
RESERVE/PLATINUM/GOLD
from American Express®
Click here for more information

Posted by Delta Points | 10 Comments

10 Responses to “Delta Air Lines loves targeted offers – I got a ROCK ☹”

1. Susan says:

You are not alone in feeling this way. I have yet to receive a worthwhile ‘special’ targeted offer or invitation from ANY of my loyalty programs.No free night if I stay a night. No fast track to status. Nada. Even on my Delta Anniversary I was offered (are you ready?) a whopping extra 1000 miles if I fly with them in 90 days. Oh wait, let me back up a bit. I was fortunate enough to be included in the ‘targeted’ US Buy Miles about three months ago. But look! Now it’s now available to everyone!
    And you are right – it does leave one with a sense of ???

2. Joelle says:

Absolutely agree! The only offers I get I cannot qualify for — arg Delta! Do better!

3. paul v says:

rock here

4. Ian says:

I realize that not everyone qualifies for these special offers and sometimes even if you do, you don’t hear about them. Thank you for this post however, because I tried all of the links and the Delta hotel bonus and SPG bonus worked for me!

5. Jake from MSP says:

Rene,

I fully understand and can relate to the frustration. However, from a business perspective, it makes little sense to target you for these promos. Given that as a diamond you are by official measures, the most loyal, they are betting you will continue to spend regardless of these promos which have variable costs to Delta.

Why give you a discount on your next Delta purchase when you’re going to buy it anyway?

6. Delta Points says:

@Jake – I am with ya and agree, but still I want the points :-) and if I were not me, I could maybe think more about AA, maybe.

7. Rick says:

Rene’, I keep hearing how much everyone at Delta (from the agents at check-in to Gate Agents, FAs, etc.) appreciates me being a DM and flying with Delta . If I (we) are so much appreciated, why can’t we get a perk like you describe? Would it really hurt Delta’s bottom line if they occasionally (2x a year) offered us a valuable promotion? Goodwill goes a long way!

8. [...] friend Delta Points talks about getting a rock from his favorite airline.  Beats a sharp stick in the eye.  Oh, [...]

9. Erik says:

As a fellow DM, it wouldn’t [upset] me off as much if they had similar “low” award availability as AA or UA. But considering the sad state of DL award redemptions, I need all the miles I can get because occasionally I have to [put] up and take a “medium” award. So it would really be nice to have an opportunity at these promotions (BTW, Marriott does the same thing. I’m Platinum with them, and every time they do Megabonus, I don’t get the “stay 2, get 1 free” offer. Instead, they offer me something like 30K-40K points after staying 25 nights. To Marriott’s credit, I can call MR customer service and enroll under the normal promotion terms, which I do).

10. Todd M says:

I got a rock…made me laugh out loud and remember the old Charlie Brown Halloween special. Comment made sense. Off topic, but I left AT&T when they decided the same offer my neighbor had was not good enough for me. Delta should think about this at least.

Delta Points is a divison of RDL Enterprises LLC. The opinions expressed in this site, unless the sources are otherwise explicitly given, are the author's own, and under no circumstance should be considered as suggestions or advice or a course of action to be taken by the reader. If you decide to follow what has been discussed on this site by the author or by those who comment, you are solely responsible for the consequences of your own actions. Delta Points make no promises or guarantees whatsoever and the ideas shared may or may not work for your particular situation and your results may vary. In accordance with federal guidelines, Delta Points is required to disclose any relationship Delta Points has with a product manufacturer or service provider when Delta Points writes about the product or service on this site. Much of the time, Delta Points does have a financial relationship with most, if not all, of the companies mentioned on this site. Delta Points is benefiting financially from most of the things you click on, read, or look at while you are on this site. Many of the links that Delta Points posts about will have an affiliate connection. If you decide to purchase the product or service through an affiliate link, Delta Points will get paid a commission. Delta Points attempts to keep all information on this site up to date, however that's not always possible given how quickly information can change. Act accordingly.