swag saturdays delta points blog

We have lots of choices when it comes to travel. We have lots of travel cards as well. Some of us want MQMs and so pick either the Delta Platinum or the Delta Reserve card to rack them up. Others like to be able to buy any flight any time any route and I think most would agree that the Barclays Arrival card is the BEST fit for that. But what about food?

peanut products penut allergies delta points blog

I touched on the smelly carpet issue this morning and my old post about peanuts on Delta jets. If you peaked at the comments you will see many, for darn good reason, are passionate about this allergy. But that to me begs the question, why not just stop serving them on Delta flights?

Either a Audiosnax X1 bluetooth speaker:

or

A Motorola bluetooth keyboard

So for today, I want your input. First, the rules for are HERE so go look. Next, tell us, should Delta just take the step and ban all peanut products on their jets since the potential reaction to them for some can be so strong. Or, for now, would you be upset if your flight had no nuts due to a request from an allergic passenger?

Keep this one as nice as you can, and DO NOT attack a reader for what they say. Sure, talk about the issue, but NOT the readers as I will remove personal attacks. Also, you can only comment once if you want to win. Comment more than that if you wish but only once if you want a chance to win your choice of the above SWAG items! – René

PS – I am NEW to UBER & can use some help!
I see how a new user can get  $30 off  this way:
See my Twitter post HERE
Is there even more stackable?

Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card
RESERVE/PLATINUM/GOLD
from American Express®
Click here for more information

Posted by Delta Points | 128 Comments

128 Responses to “SWAG Saturday: To peanut or not to peanut? + $30 off new UBER users!”

1. PCB says:

I say take them off. Is it because of tradition they keep them? How about starting a new snack tradition. Peanut dust can still be on the plane from the previous flight!

2. MSPDeltaDude says:

Take them off. Not worth the problems that could arise!

3. Joe says:

I feel that they should keep them. Out of all there free snacks that is the one I choose. When there is a problem with and allergy on the plane I just deal with it and move on.

4. Paolo S says:

Take ‘em off and give a new kind of snack instead.

5. Brian says:

Take them off – no need to risk a reaction at 30000 feet. I prefer the pretzels or cookies anyway.

6. DJ S says:

I have a hard time believing that anyone needs peanuts so bad they could not survive a flight without them. Take them off and find a new snack to replace them.

7. Ben says:

i like my peanut snacks. keep them.

8. Todd Stern says:

I think they should continue. Some flights I am just too hungry to go without them! :]

9. Anthony says:

Keep them on!

10. FBates360 says:

While peanuts are a somewhat healthy snack (minus the salt) I say remove them. While many may disagree I approach my decision by placing myself in another persons shoes and the potential hazard. I am all for them replacing it with something along the lines of granola, raisins, etc…

11. Ben says:

I love peanuts. Biscoffs are a decent substitution. Pretzels are not. Still, the peanut is by far my favorite.

12. David says:

Out of respect for the folks with allergies, take them off all flights and offer a replacement.

13. Bri says:

Take them off. Carrot sticks would be healthier for all

14. Mentat says:

I guess taking them off would be easier. But many snacks are prepared in the same facility that packages peanuts too. So the answer may not be as easy as removing peanuts and replacing with pretzels.

Delta would have to source a new replacement snack entirely and this may increase the cost of current options.

15. John S says:

16. Harlan V. says:

Get rid of them. There are so many snack alternatives these days. Why risk never being able to use them?

17. Rui N. says:

Keep them.

18. Steve says:

Get rid of them. I bring my own snacks anyhow these days that way I am assured of getting something I want and don’t have to wonder if its peanuts, pretzels or cookies.

19. Curtis says:

Take them off and replace with dried fruit or something.

20. Candace says:

Take them off to avoid harming anyone. There are plenty of alternative snacks out there!

21. Karl P says:

Anyone can become allergic to a food at any time. Why tempt fate in a metal tube flying high in the sky?

22. Rich says:

Skip the nuts ! It’s a serious condition
    And almost everybody loves pretzels

23. Bill G says:

When I fly I kinda like to do an unofficial tally in my head of the people around me. I would say peanuts are by far the most popular of the peanuts/pretzels/cookie choice so via that totally unscientific basis alone I’d say they’d be eliminating their most popular option. I usually ask for peanuts because they are low carb compared to the other stuff. Some people care about that.

So, I’d say keep them. If someone has a severe allergy I’m definitely understanding. (But not surprised if someone on board brought their own peanuts are a PB&J sandwich for the kids and thus causes trouble anyhow.)

24. joel says:

Off with them. Substitute Godiva chocolates.

25. Trumpetgeek says:

I think it wouldn’t be a hardship for passengers for Delta to remove peanut products. Better no peanuts than a diversion because someone needs medical attention.

26. Spencer F says:

Keep them unless removal is necessary due to an allergic flyer

27. Suzy S. says:

I think it’s okay to keep them. Would like to see healthier snacks…..organic apple chips. I guess that’s asking for too much.

28. vc says:

I don’t mind if they take them off although I would like a protein type snack to replace it.

29. Jeremy says:

Get rid of the nuts. I like to have them, but reactions can be so severe that I’m pretty sure I can forego a few peanuts.

30. Teresa Pederson says:

I think they should discontinue serving nuts because it is too easy for a little kid to get their hands on a stray nut and eat it. Go for pretzels or a healthy snack!

31. Marc m says:

Nope, I would be okay eating something else if it prevented other people getting sick

32. paul v says:

replace them with a different snack …. not a big deal and if they are NEVER on the plane people can’t complain if they can’t have them on a specific flight….

33. kevin says:

I would say they should stop serving them. I hardly see any served as most seem to choose the cookies or pretzels. Also, I don’t care much for peanuts so I wouldn’t miss them personally. They can save money by not stocking them and save money on future passengers reactions.

34. John S. says:

My original comment seems to have gotten lost in cyberspace… Keep them! There is actually very little medical evidence to support the idea that external exposure to peanuts results in adverse affects to those who suffer from the allergy. Most researchers believe that these reactions are psychogenic in nature. The idea of banning nuts without solid evidence is silly.

35. Lynn says:

Why invite trouble? Take them off.

36. John Sinnott says:

Keep them on board.

37. BK Rubin says:

I am a pediatric pulmonary and asthma specialist who travels about 150K miles each year, mostly on Delta (now double Diamond, Silver) to lecture about our clinical and research work. I am writing this from the airport en route to the European Respiratory Society meetings in Barcelona where I will speak on near fatal asthma in children.

It is not possible to develop an allergic reaction by inhaling the odor of peanuts. The protein allergens are odorless, tasteless, and not volatile odorants. These must make contact with a mucosal surface to induce the allergic response. However peanut allergy is real and extremely serious. Ingestion of just a tiny amount can cause a severe, even life threatening reaction. There may be no medical reason to remove peanuts from aeroplains, even if there are persons with allergies on board, but it seems to me that the risk and agrevation of a potential lawsuit would merit replacing peanuts with a more benign snack.

Also Rene, I have not heard of a confirmed “skunks beer” allergy

38. John S3 says:

Keep the peanuts. If an allergy problem should arise a backup protein (not carb laden) alternative should be available to customers.

39. DW says:

Keep them on. It’s a good snack and the replacement would likely be cardboard pretzels, which, ugh.

40. Brett says:

I say take them off. Not worth the hassle. Here is a great chance for DL to upgrade to a better snack option ;)

41. Pawtim says:

Keep them, and instruct anyone with allergies to them not to eat them.
    I often travel with some peanuts myself; they’re a satisfying snack that are great for long trips, hikes, etc.

42. SSM says:

If there is a way to prevent harmful allergy attacks, I think we should take that opportunity. The way allergies are trending (ashtma/allergies have exploded since the 1980′s), I think this will be a growing problem.

43. Edward says:

Keep the nuts unless there is a reason to keep them off the flight

I like my peanuts

44. Greg M says:

The lack availability of peanuts on Delta flights will not likely influence the flying public’s decision one way or the other.

45. Billy says:

Keep the nuts. It’ll force the nut allergy folks to request no nuts, request an announcement, and alert all of those who brought their own nuts of the allergy situation.

46. MR.H says:

Take them off, last thing I want is risk of health/life/delay for a bland snack.

47. Aarash says:

Just take them off and offer something new…maybe less salty so you don’t drink as much….thus leading to less bathroom use. #winning

48. Clare N says:

I enjoy the peanuts. Please keep them when an allergic passenger is not aboard.

49. iwantmoremiles says:

Take them off.

50. Andrew says:

Leave the peanuts on the plane.

51. LarsErikNYC says:

I side with the “keep the peanuts” crowd. Of peanuts, pretzels and Biscoff cookies, it’s the closet thing to “real food.”

52. P T says:

Take them off if there is an allergic person on board. But then I want any cat or dog removed on my flights. I am highly allergic to THEM.

53. Mark R. says:

Keep them unless a pax makes a flight specific allergy request. If they just stopped serving them, nothing prevents a pax from bringing the product on in their carry-on, so planes would always have some peanut dust in them either way.

54. Joelle says:

Im not bothered either way.

55. Kyle says:

It seems like more people are deathly allergic then ever. Let’s keep the peanuts off the planes for this large group of people that would like to fly Delta but can’t.

56. Adam says:

At the end of the day I wouldn’t be that bothered…

57. Bob D says:

Keep the peanuts. I cannot imagine what an allergy so severe, to anything, that being near risks death. That said, I know there are people allergic to many foods why are peanuts being singled out?

58. Bruce says:

Take them away and replace them with Woodford infused camelized pecans… May not help the nut allergy issue, but it sure would taste better. Safe Travels

59. chris says:

Take them off…pretzels are better anyways

60. Chris says:

As the parent of a child with a mild peanut allergy I say go ahead and get rid of the peanuts.

61. DEJAMO says:

With all of the potential harm to a (however small select group) of customers, ever increasing legal fees negative publicity from time to time,(couple that with perceived decreasing benefits overall to a increasingly discerning public, what are the downsides to remove peanuts entirely from the equation ?

A new source for a small snack, or just a new product that eliminates the issue ?

They do it all the time, but it is low key.

If you could eliminate a potential and verifiable health hazard from your product, that no one would blame you for, and potentially receive praise for doing so…….. why wouldn’t you ?

62. steve says:

the administrative POA of keeping them off certain flights (it takes time and money for someone to make sure no peanuts go on a plane) will inevitably lead to Delta taking them off for good. That’s fine by me, I prefer the biscoff cookies!

On a side note, I find it odd the previous flight could have peanuts, and someone could accidentally drop on in the seat cushion for the next passenger (who might have an allergy). I figure that sort of logic might prevail in the decision to get rid of them entirely.

63. Holger says:

Take them off. This won’t prevent other passengers bringing them on, but it definitely decreases the risk of a medical emergency

64. Jonathan says:

I am a school teacher who loves peanut butter, but every now and then I have a student who is allergic to peanuts. I mean seriously allergic – epi-pen allergic.

I would hate to be responsible for anything to happen to them. So, if I have a student who is allergic to peanut butter I don’t eat peanut butter for the entire school year just to be sure.

People can survive a plane ride without peanuts – get rid of them.

65. Anthony P says:

I say keep them and only remove them as needed for a passenger that request it.

66. Matthew says:

I don’t care for them so I’d be happy with something else. I’m not sure how many people have actually died on an airplane from peanuts though.

67. Delta Points says:

@Bruce – best comment ever!

68. Randy says:

Get rid of the nuts. Keep the cookies and pretzels.

69. Randy says:

Get rid of the nuts. Keep the cookies.

70. JetSetterFL says:

No more! How about something healthier – dried fruits?

71. Ben E says:

Take them off. The peanuts Delta serves are not that good anyway. Now if they were honey roasted….

72. BenTraveling says:

I would be fine with Delta not serving peanuts, particularly if Delta provided a decent protein-rich alternative. Pretzels don’t seem like a comparable substitute. Any reasonable alternative would likely be more expensive for Delta. Almonds, cashews, or pistachios would be great, but many people are probably allergic to them as well. If Delta didn’t provide peanuts and diminished the already slim selection of snacks in coach, I think passengers will be even more likely to bring their own snacks on board, including those containing allergens.

73. Brian M says:

Take them off.

74. Ben says:

Peanuts are by far my favorite option among the ones Delta offers and people are allergic to so many things these days that if we go down that route we’ll end up not having any food on any plane…

75. BOShappyflyer says:

I’d say take them off. Nice snack to have, but I’m not the biggest fan of them either. Some people could have severe allergies to peanuts and I wouldn’t want them to suffer. It’s a short ride anyway. I could eat as many peanuts as I want when I get home anyway (if I wanted to).

76. gw says:

Not deltas problem

77. Segments says:

Pretzels and cookies are unhealthy contributing to obesity. Peanuts are real food and the only low carb snack offered.

If you want to eliminate a peanut allergy threat than you must screen all pax if you believe that minute air borne traces are hazardous. No one shall consume peanuts within 24 hours of a flight

Add dog sniffing to screen pax and their bags. Eliminate routes to areas where peanuts are common. What shall replace ATL?

78. Bob says:

Keep them … It is the only good low carb option … I am OK about banning peanuts if we also ban perfume and McDonalds being brought on the plane.

79. Andy J says:

I usually opt for the peanuts but the peanut, pretzel, cookie choice is getting kind of old. Take them off by request and maybe work some new choices in there.

80. GetToThePoints says:

I am sure I can live without them for the beneficence of my fellow traveler!

81. Jared says:

I think they could do away with them. there are enough alternatives.

82. Ttxtri says:

I say let them eat cake…no really.
    On my last flight to Tokyo, the served tea and cake while we were waiting on the Tarmac. People were happier and quiet and not to mention completely surprised!

83. Rich C says:

Not having peanuts on a flight is one of the lower priorities for me on a flight.

84. Abhishek D says:

I’d miss them, but wouldn’t be upset.

85. Kevin W. says:

Get rid of them. I wouldn’t want to be on a flight with someone having a serious allergic reaction.

86. Sean says:

Get rid of them. Replace them with pretzels and/or chips.

I never bank on getting them anyway- bring my own food for non-biz class flights.

87. phil gold says:

I say leave them on, but if a pwss has am alergy don’t serve them. was on flight last week where this was announced, and all around me were ok with it

88. kent says:

Just lose the peanuts… And bring in some macadamia nuts!

89. Sterling says:

Chuck the peanuts and try something new. If no peanuts on the flight no big deal, but they should be replaced with something.

90. R. says:

I’d like to have peanuts. People with allergy already know it, and can take care of themselves.

91. Ari K says:

Make it a business decision.

92. ASW says:

I think of those baggies of peanuts as a traditional snack in the coach class of most airlines. My thought is to keep’em.

93. GR says:

Keep the peanuts – don’t serve them if a passenger has an allergy.

94. Emman says:

I am fine if they substitute it for other snacks.

95. vasily says:

Keep ‘em. They are a welcome break from the cookies and pretzels.

96. Stuart says:

Take them off. It’s for the greater good. Plenty of other options out there.

97. David says:

Get rid of them! no point in just eating peanuts.

98. JRG says:

Take them off and give me pretzels.

99. Randy says:

Keep the policy the same as is.

100. Mark says:

At least have some snacks. The last two flights I was on their was no snacks. Cookies are the best.

101. CThings says:

Take the peanuts off the planes and bring on chocolate!

102. Yana K says:

While I don’t object to peanuts, in deference to those with allergies – why not serve almonds? They are healthier to begin with and I love them!

103. shlomo says:

revamp concept of snacks on flights. people have wheat allergies as well. Why not be known as the ‘green” airline and just serve vegetable sticks or fruit

104. Troy says:

I was sitting next to a woman who was allergic to peanuts. When she noticed that others were getting peanuts she called the flight attendent over and, in a panicked voice, said that she has been assured that there would be no peanuts on the flight since she is extremely allergic. They stopped serving peanuts and the lady pulled out her eppie pen. As a former teacher I knew what to do and held onto the pen in case she stopped breathing. Lets just say it was a stressful flight. I would rather have peanuts banned than an emergency landing.

105. Stephen Y says:

No peanuts needed …food allergies are not to be sneezed at…

106. Jeff McCormack says:

Ban them. To some this allergy can be life threatening.

107. The problem with avoiding peanuts is that so many foods are processed in nut facilities. It seems as though we’d have to ban all processed food to make it work.

108. Smoke says:

Do not serve them. Allergies are serious – especially in a confined space like a cabin.

109. Harlan says:

Lose the peanuts. Not worth the risk and have had many flights where the FAs have had to make announcements about someone on board. When you see someone having a reaction, it’s scary and I guess more common than I would have imagined.

110. martin says:

I enjoy peanuts. If someone has an issue, ‘no thank you’ is an alternative!

111. MaryE. says:

Keep them.

As one with a gluten-intolerant life problem, I look forward to and actually need the protein offered in the peanuts on flights. In fact, if the meals are truly prepared gluten-free, many still are not and I get sick, then that package of peanuts might be the only thing I get to eat for that flight. Naturally, I bring along items, but that is not always possible now with all of the regulations these days. Sigh! I miss the good ole days of flying…

As for someone with allergies, I bring along what is necessary to survive. I’m allergic to cats, too, and had to SIT next to one on several trips over the years. No one made accomodations for me to switch seats either. I had to take a ton of meds to stop the severe allergic reaction.

I was on one flight where the flight attendant simply asked if anyone was allergic to peanuts. When no one raised their hand, she gave them out. Perhaps this could be one way of handling the problem.

112. uclalum says:

IF we take off peanuts, what is next? Where do we draw the line? A widely-accepted definition will be needed for (a) what product is considered dangerous enough to justify banning in “public” spaces, and (b) how far does this reach? First it is the plane, is the terminal next? The entire airport? Will we need to hzve grassroots action to form “peanut consumer rights groups” just like there are for smokers? Will peanut-consumer get their own special lounge in the terminal?

113. jay says:

Keep the nuts. The bigger question is where did the Sun Chips go. First Class is not first class with out Sun Chips… That is the whole reason I went Platinum. ;-)

114. Rick says:

I much prefer peanuts to the other offerings, but if people have serious allergies, by all means take them off.

115. Christopher Weber says:

I have no problem with not having peanuts on the plane at all. However, I believe that proper protocol should be for the person who is allergic to request a non-peanut flight at booking.

116. john says:

It makes no sense to take them off airplanes unless you take them out of airports, restaurants, sporting events, etc. If airlines want to do something to protect passengers from medical emergencies they should require defibrillators on all planes, if they don’t have them already.

117. James says:

I wouldn’t miss getting .42 ounces of peanuts, but I don’t like pretzels and I can get cookies galore in the club. How about mixing it up with raisins (like Southwest a long time ago) or other nuts? The answer: cost.

118. mcdullhk88 says:

Keep them as one food option (out of more additional options), but have other options available if there are allergic passengers.

119. jeff says:

If they have a acceptable replacement , then take them off

120. john says:

Keep the peanuts. Airlines could save more lives by adding defibrillators

121. Sam says:

Take them off. Pretzels are fine.

122. Andrew P says:

Although I prefer peanuts, I think switching to yogurt raisins or trail mix like they have in some lounges would be a perfectly fine alternative. Would they then ban customers from bringing their own peanuts at that point though?

123. Christine says:

Peanut allergies are so prevalent today that I am surprised delta and others have not already taken them off their flights. I know they are a cheap snack but it makes sense to me to find a new snack. Equally, I’m surprised an airline hasn’t been sued over the issue.

124. Steve A says:

Find a good replacement for them on all the flights.

125. Quinn says:

I do not think Delta should ban all peanuts. Making accommodations, like they are now, for people with allergies when they are on board seems to be the best approach to me.

126. Scott says:

Peanuts seem to be ubiquitous on airlines. While Delta might capture the market segment of nut-allergen travelers, I suspect those travelers know what they are in for if/when they fly, regardless of airline.

I guess my advice to Delta would be, “get rid of the peanuts”, only so we don’t end up having a discussion about regulating nut products on common carriers.

127. Mary Beth says:

Get rid of peanuts, but advertise it so folks who need some protein can bring their own. It upsets me more when there are changes in the rules that are sprung on folks without warning. If people know changes are happening, for anything, they can adjust as needed.

128. […] for all the good input on this one everyone. Personally I could do without them in a bag, on my ice cream in BE on my way to Europe or […]