Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (68)

Thanks to some great help from the great Sky Club reps in LAX and the amazing Captain Hank with Delta I was given access to the inaugural Delta 737-900 flight yesterday morning 01NOV from Atlanta to Detroit.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (87)

I had a post the other day asking if readers were excited about the new jet. Let me tell you, you should be!

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (2)

The day was pouring rain in Atlanta but it did not dampen the day one bit for me.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (99)

This is a very nice plane.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (15)

The ride was smooth, quite and the first class seats are very comfortable.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (16)

The power ports in first class are easily accessible in front of you not under your seat as old one.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (47)

There is easy USB access and the monitors are gorgeous, HUGE and quickly respond to input.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (3)

The overhead bins fold out of the way more and hold quite a bit.

YouTube Preview Image

The overhead controls are new. The air vents are simple to open and close. As well as the LED light and both have great range to move as you like. Notice the FA call button is not near the light button.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (14)

The Economy Comfort section is also very nice and on the left side of the airplane with NO bulkhead so you can stretch your feet out into 1st class.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (7)

However on the right hand side there is a locker/ bulkhead in row 1 of Economy Comfort, so it has very limited leg room.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (99)

The rest of the economy section is also very nice.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (12)

All have nice sized IFE or in flight entertainment screens. They have quick access to USB plugs and headphones left bottom of the screens.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (83)

Exit rows have more leg room but not as generous as other jets.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (11)

Also be aware that many of the emergency row seats are fixed position. The Delta seat map shows the two seaters to recline when they do not.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (65)

The cockpit is new and modern with screens replacing most of the old technology.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (64)

Avionics are state-of-the-art including heads up display.

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (70)

Outside it is as sweet looking as on the inside of the jet.

delta air lines new 737-900 jet delta points blog

Overall this truly is a nice jet to fly and will serve Delta well as a narrow body jet. A few issues did come up during the maiden flight but Panasonic technicians were onboard to identify what needs tweaking. Also, for a few weeks, there will be NO GoGo wifi thanks to the recent government shutdown. Delta told me:

“The 737-900ER is a new fleet type for Delta and for Gogo, requiring supplemental type certification (STC) in order to install and activate the Wi-Fi system. And because of the government shutdown, and subsequent backlog of STC requests, the FAA wasn’t able to grant us Wi-Fi STC before our 739 service commenced. We hope to have certification within 4-6weeks.”

Delta Air Lines 737-900ER photos delta points travel blog (1)

Other thoughts. Row one of 1st class on the left 1B has a toe cutout but not much. 1A has partial. 1DC has none. I would avoid row 1. Also row 5DC has the storage / bulkhead behind limiting recline so another avoid if possible. It is nice that there are 20 first class seats in the cabin.

I will be flying this jet a few more times in January and am now very much looking forward to the ride. I am really impressed and look forward to seeing what you think of this new bird in the Delta stable! – René

PS – Be sure to check back later today for a 3PM SWAG Saturday!

Edit: Due to technical issues,
SWAG Saturday will be Sunday morning this week.
Fireside will be back next Sunday!

Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card
RESERVE/PLATINUM/GOLD
from American Express®
Click here for more information

Posted by Delta Points | 15 Comments

15 Responses to “The Delta 737-900ER jet. Modern, sleek & a nice upgraded travel experience!”

1. Mark R. says:

If I got on a plane & the pilot looked like the one in the first picture I would run back to the gate!!

2. Delta Points says:

@Mark – I think I looked great behind the wheel. ;-)

3. James H says:

I honestly can’t wait until I have the opportunity to book a flight on one of these birds. I LOVE how quiet they are. Engine and cabin advancements over the years have made planes quieter, and that is one of my biggest “likes” for many planes. :-)

4. Delta Points says:

@James – yes is is much quieter!

5. CP says:

I’m taking the long way home from northern California the week before Thanksgiving just to fly on this jet… LAX-ATL on a Friday afternoon. As Platinum, I hope to get an upgrade, but from your photos it appears that Economy Comfort will be just fine!

6. Delta Points says:

@CP – 1st is nice. I cleared at gate. EC is not bad but again left side front row EC if you can.

7. Jamie says:

Would you say economy comfort leg room looked better than exit row? I had an aisle on the 2-2 exit row, but thinking of moving to economy comfort aisle for my flight tomorrow based on how I read your review.

8. Delta Points says:

@Jamie – keep in min the 2-2 is FIXED no recline. Ouch. And the leg room is no better than front row EC LEFT SIDE. I will shoot for that, then the back row exit as choice two on this bird.

9. Lark says:

Is it my eyes, your camera, or does the F pitch look small?

When the guy in front of you fully reclined, how much space did you have?

10. Delta Points says:

@Lark – not an abundance but I will take 5 rows of 1st over the 4 rows in the 737-800 :-)

11. Lark says:

I agree – 20 seats in F is good for the elite upgrader! :)

12. […] Thanks to AMAZING reps in the LAX Skyclub and some heads up from Capt. Hank I was able to change my direct ATL-MKE to the inaugural flight of the brand new Delta 737-900ER. […]

13. Elduderino says:

Row 20 on the Delta 737-900 is crap. No recline and no extra leg room. Row 19 has the extra legroom but probably no recline and row 21 A & F windows seats have extra leg room and probably recline. Row 21 B/C/D/E have no extra leg room and probably recline

14. Jim says:

Flew the newer 737 from DTW to LAX. Upgraded IFE was nice as was power and other features. Your post did a nice job calling these out. However the center asile seems like it was reduced. Sitting in asile seat I was shoulder hit by every passenger on boarding, had to walk sideways down asile getting to back bathroom.

15. […] like the newer slim line seats that are so much lighter resulting in less fuel burn that any little bit they can save is money […]

Delta Points is a divison of RDL Enterprises LLC. The opinions expressed in this site, unless the sources are otherwise explicitly given, are the author's own, and under no circumstance should be considered as suggestions or advice or a course of action to be taken by the reader. If you decide to follow what has been discussed on this site by the author or by those who comment, you are solely responsible for the consequences of your own actions. Delta Points make no promises or guarantees whatsoever and the ideas shared may or may not work for your particular situation and your results may vary. In accordance with federal guidelines, Delta Points is required to disclose any relationship Delta Points has with a product manufacturer or service provider when Delta Points writes about the product or service on this site. Much of the time, Delta Points does have a financial relationship with most, if not all, of the companies mentioned on this site. Delta Points is benefiting financially from most of the things you click on, read, or look at while you are on this site. Many of the links that Delta Points posts about will have an affiliate connection. If you decide to purchase the product or service through an affiliate link, Delta Points will get paid a commission. Delta Points attempts to keep all information on this site up to date, however that's not always possible given how quickly information can change. Act accordingly.