Here’s a retro one from US Air for this installment of Vintage Airline Seat Maps. While this particular map is from 1987, US Air’s fleet of BAC 1-11s (British Aircraft Corporation “One-Elevens”) originally flew for Mohawk Airlines from 1965 to 1972.

In 1972, Allegheny Airlines acquired Mohawk, and at the turn of deregulation in 1979, Allegheny rebranded as US Air.

This single-class configuration seated 79 passengers, had one lavatory and I’m sort of shocked to see a closet and other “storage” denoted as “ST.” I’m surprised US Air didn’t remove the forward closet to squeeze in two more seats in the late 80s.

Obviously, 9C would be preferable for a solo traveler and 9D & 9E for a couple. Seats 17A, E and F must have been rather uncomfortable.

Where would you sit?

Related posts:

Piedmont Airlines Fokker F28-1000 Seat Map

Piedmont Airlines Boeing 727-200 Seat Map

US Air DC-9-30 Seat Map

Posted by Darren | 5 Comments

5 Responses to “Vintage Airline Seat Map: US Air BAC 1-11”

1. Biggles209 says:

I remember watching the first flight of the 1-11 on TV back in England. The commentator – probably Raymond Baxter – mentioned how huge it was as it made the turn onto the runway.

2. Darren says:

@Biggles209: Too funny… “… how huge it was…” :-)

3. downhillcrasher says:

17C just seems bizarre, if it is blocked, why is it even there?

4. Ryan says:

I flew on a BAC 1-11 around 1989, on Braniff. Which I think was not too long before that airline went under for good.

5. Marc says:

I assune that seat 17C was either for the flight attendant or reserved for deadheads.