United Airlines is reportedly spending $50 million this year to renovate and refresh many of its United Club locations, and I had the chance to visit the recently redone Denver West location yesterday.

Basically what they’ve done is swapped out the seating for new chairs, tables and counters identical to what’s in the newest club location at Chicago O’Hare’s Terminal 2 (F-concourse).

[My apologies for the poor quality iPhone images – the lounge was rather busy and I was trying to be as discreet as possible.]

United Club Denver West - Seating Area

United Club Denver West - 'Short' Tables

United’s clubs in Denver are known for their lack of power outlets and you’ll still have a hard time finding them if you’re seated in the new leather chairs. But they have at least added counters along the windows with outlets, as well as included plugs underneath some of the tabletops.

United Club Denver West - Window-side Counters

United Club Denver West - Seating

United Club Denver West - 'Hidden' Plugs Under Some Tabletops

The Denver East location has yet to receive the refresh and sports the same old worn furniture with highly limited access to power outlets. The view, however, remains one of the best features of either club.

United Club Denver West - View

Related posts:

United Club Membership Using Miles to Return, Plus More

First Look: United Club Redesign, New O’Hare Location

United Club Rate Increase

Posted by Darren | 10 Comments

10 Responses to “A Quick Look at the Refreshed ‘Denver West’ United Club”

1. Matthew says:

Lipstick on a pig?

2. RRK says:

oh yeah ….

and it’s still a pig

3. Andrew says:

UA clubs pale in comparison to most other Star Alliance partner Clubs….sadly. CO ruined a nice RED CARPET Welcome!

4. Darren says:

@Matthew @RRK: Truly stated (except the view).
    @Andrew: It would be nice if U.S. airlines took steps to be competitive globally with their lounges.

5. Kris Ziel says:

US airlines usually don’t have to be competitive with global carriers. The majority of US airlines’ passengers are domestic, and many of those that aren’t are connecting from an airport served only by US airlines, so there is not much competition with the non-US airlines. That isn’t to say they shouldn’t be competitive, only that they don’t need to be.

6. Cook says:

@Matthew got it about right: lipstick.. I don’t know where they spent that $50Mil, but it was damn sure was not in Denver, one of their larger hubs. The electrical looks like an afterthought or an accident and United still won’t offer even medium-grade beverages – and virtually zero food. Even with a FC ticket on a 2+ jour flight, one has to beg for food. Lounges used to be a partial substitute, but that too is gone. WTF?? Even in First Class, if you want or need to eat, you’ve got to bring your own chow. Let’s see… FOr about 4.5 – 5.0 times the coach fare I can get 1) A wider, but still filthy seat, 2) A larger fold-out table and *maybe* a napkin, 3) A ‘Free’ drink or two (don’t ‘ask for 3!) and 4) the crew is delighted that I’ve brought my own Subway sandwich. 5) the cabin crew may sneer a bit when removing the remnants of my sandwich, but gosh – they had to serve nothing beyond beverage service. Truth is, United’s (domestic) First Class is little more than a fat boy seat and a no-charge beverage. Is that worth your money? AA and others are *slightly* better on domestic runs, but.. I think I should walk some trips.

7. Darren says:

@Kris: Yes and no. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve overheard passengers from overseas flights complain about United’s lounges (and well… every domestic carrier’s offering, I shouldn’t necessarily pick on United.) We simply don’t measure up here in the U.S. They SHOULD be competitive with global carriers (that’s my stance anyway).
    @Cook: American is definitely a step above right now with domestic First service… I hope the merger doesn’t ruin it.

8. Joediver says:

At least they didn’t use the Chicago T2 crazy high back chairs that LOOK comfortable but are really not.

9. Darren says:

@Joediver: If it’s the more “orange” chairs you’re referring to, they look like you’d slouch WAY forward when sitting in them.

10. Dropped by briefly yesterday and I have to say the view is always amazing…but I ran into the very same lack of power outlets problem.