April 1, 2012
April 1st kicks off with a cruel joke from Chase. Many of the big bonus point offers in the Ultimate Rewards Mall have dropped precipitously. Below are some of my findings this morning when logged in with my old Ink Bold and my Sapphire Preferred (note that you may see different results with a Chase Freedom).
First, the good news:
- Office Depot: 10X Ink Bold; only 4X Sapphire Preferred
- Kohl’s: Still at 10X for both cards
- Nordstrom: 10X Sapphire Preferred (only for 3 days)
- Drugstore.com: 10X Sapphire Preferred; only 5X with Ink Bold
The exciting news here is the Office Depot 10X opportunity. Since the New Ink Bold offers 5X automatically when used in office supply stores, you will get a total of 15X when making Office Depot purchases with your Ink card through the UR mall! Last I checked, though, there were no merchant or bank gift cards available online (also the T&C says “not eligible on purchases of gift cards”). If they begin to offer free after rebate products, though, this could be a big win. It might even be worth filling out rebate cards for 15X!
And now the bad news (very bad):
- Staples: down to 2X (from 4X). Noooooooo!!!!! The perfect PPM may still be perfect, but for fewer points. And for those of you who have been buying gift cards with your Ink card for a total of 9X, the total is now down to 7X. Nooooooo!!!!
- Barnes & Noble: down to 2X (from 10X). No longer can you buy ultimate rewards points for less than a penny. Nooooooo!!!!
- Home Depot: down to 4X (from 10X).
- Magazines.com: down to 25X (from 40X).
- Sears: down to 4X (from 5X on the Ink).
- Lands End: down to 2X (from 5 or 6X)
If you’re new to Frequent Miler, please start here