May 8, 2013
The pace of change in the miles & point world is staggering. The most recent big change is with the latest and greatest way to earn 5X everywhere. There was a special link to sign up for the Citi ThankYou Preferred card that offered 5X in drugstores, gas stations, and supermarkets. That link now appears to be dead:
More than a week ago, at Frequent Traveler University, the theme of my presentation was change. In that presentation, I highlighted the following developments in the 5X everywhere game:
- May 1 2012: I published “One card to rule them all.” In that post I showed how to earn 5X Ultimate Rewards points everywhere credit cards are accepted.
- October 16th 2012: I published “Bluebird takes flight and changes the game.” In that post I showed how to earn 5X Ultimate Rewards points everywhere including billers that do not accept credit cards!
- November 10th 2012: I published “Office Depot discontinues Vanilla Reload cards.” This change made 5X everywhere tough, but not impossible.
- February 3rd 2013: I published “Office Depot discontinues $500 Visa/Amex cards.” 5X everywhere was effectively dead.
- February 6th 2013 (just 3 days later), Personal Finance Digest published “The old Citi 5% gas/grocery/drugstore link is dead, here’s a new one.” 5X everywhere was alive again!!!
- April 6th 2013: Million Mile Secrets published “Breaking News: You Can Now Use Gift Cards For Cash Back, Loading Bluebird, and Buying Money Orders!“ Not only was 5X everywhere alive and well, but there were new ways to do it!
Now, just a month later, 5X everywhere with ThankYou points is effectively dead. Those who got their cards in time can still enjoy 5X rewards for 12 months (unless they get shut down for perk abuse!). Others will have to look to other opportunities.
For good or bad, change is coming. And the game plays on…