I had a chance to stay at the Hotel Monaco in Salt Lake City recently.
Before you arrive, make sure and sign up for the Kimpton Hotels Loyalty program which allows you to receive the following benefits during your stay:
1. Raid the mini-bar up to $10 during your stay
2. Free Wi-fi
The second thing you should do before you check in at the front desk, is to check in with Foursquare. This will allow you to receive a complimentary upgrade during your stay (upon availability). Unfortunately, I didn’t see this until halfway through my stay and therefore can’t comment on what the upgrade was like.
Valet parking is the only parking option available and costs $17 a night. The check in was very easy.
Overall I was impressed with the hotel. It was definitely in the upper echelon of hotels in Salt Lake City, ranking only behind the Grand America. The service was impeccable, the location was centrally located – within walking distance of the new City Creek development. I would recommend staying at the Hotel Monaco.
Here are my restaurant recommendations if you’re staying in Salt Lake City.
1. Thai – Sawadee restaurant for authentic Thai food.
2. Mexican – Red Iguana
3. Killer Belgian dessert waffles and fries with 10 types of homemade mayonnaise- Bruges
4. Philly Cheesesteaks and Meatball Subs (as seen on Diners, Drive ins and Dives) – Moochie’s
5. Burgers and Fries – Crown Burger
6. “Greasy spoon” breakfast – Blue Plate Diner