Update: Looks like this deal has been postponed until November.  I’ll post more about a specific date when I have it.

Frugal Travel Guy has been “hinting” about an improved United MileagePlus Explorer card offer coming out on 10/4.  Looks like the cat is now out of the bag about this offer via this Flyertalk post from pgary @ Free Frequent Flyer Miles.  He said that his site will have a link to a 60,000 mile United sign-up bonus from 10/4 – 10/6 only.  He does not know the exact details regarding the requirements for the bonus (such as the amount of spend required or whether or not the annual fee is waived for the first year), but I would guess that 10K of the miles will required substantial spend (25K) and that the other 50K will have a much lower minimum spend requirement.  That is purely a guess based on their current offers.

There still have not been tons of data points that I can find about whether or not existing Continental Onepass Plus card holders (like myself) are eligible for the MileagePlus card sign-up bonus.  There are at least a few success stories out there, but it is still a bit of a risk based on the terms and conditions.  Since I value Continental/UA miles so highly, this may be a risk I am willing to take.  If I do, it will likely be my last application of the year.  Since I do already have three Chase cards (most recent Chase application about 5 months ago), I imagine it will be tough to get this one approved if I do decide to go for it.

For any of  you that have been waiting for United to have a better sign-up offer, this may be your chance!  Stay tuned for more details as they get announced!

13 Responses to “United MileagePlus Explorer Card 60,000 Mile Sign-up Bonus Coming 10/4 – 10/6”

1. david says:

any talk of when they may have a “joint” Presidential Plus CC coming out?

2. Levi Flight says:

I got a targeted offer through the United webpage for a 60 sign up. Currently under review, likely because I just signed up for the Sapphire card and hold a Onepass. Offer comes with:

- Earn 50,000 bonus miles after first use. Plus earn 10,000 miles after you spend $25,000 on your Card within a calendar year.
    - Your first year is free†
    Pay no annual fee for the first year you are a Cardmember, a $95 value.
    - Visit the United ClubSM with two passes every year*
    - Relax in style before your flight and enjoy complimentary snacks, beverages and Wi-Fi.
    - Earn double miles on United purchases*
    - Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased directly from United or Continental and 1 mile per $1 for everything else.

@david, I don’t know a firm date, but I would suspect later this year.

@Levi Flight, I am hoping that this 60K offer will be the same as your targeted elite offer, just available to the rest of us. :)

4. rms1090 says:

Is there a corresponding Explorer Business card with the same deal?

@rms1090, I am not sure, but I will also be interested in one if they have it! The deal has now been delayed until November, so we will have to wait a little bit to find out for sure.

6. Leah says:

Levi, Can you post that link?

7. Kris Ziel says:

This week I got not one, not two, but three offers for 50,000 miles for getting the card and another 10K for 25K in spending. I also got one that touted and entire 35,000 miles for signing up. United is singlehandedly preventing USPS from dying off.

8. teh w YEN says:

How to apply for MileagePLUS EXPLORER VISA Card?

@teh w YEN, can first try to get targeted for the higher offer by making sure you have at least one mile in your MileagePlus account. If that doesn’t work, here is my link to apply for the regular offer. Note that I do receive a commission if you are approved using this link. I would only go this route if you can’t get targeted for the better offer by having a miles in your account.

10. GARY FURNISH says:

I WILL BE ON VACATION IN KAUAI, HAWAII SEPTEMBER 28TH TO OCTOBER 5TH, 2012, SO HOW CAN I SIGN UP TO JOIN THE EXPLORER VISA CARD?
    CAN I SIGH UP EARLIER BEFORE I GO ON VACATION??
    GARY FURNISH

11. GARY FURNISH says:

IF I APPLY FOR THE EXPLORER CARD, WILL MY MILEAGE PLUS VISA MILES BE ADEDED TO IT??

GARY FURNISH

12. phil says:

@MP- If your income is high & your credit great you can have a lot more than 4 Chase cards. Think 6, 7 or 8 (including a couple Business cards).

13. phil says:

@Gary F.–you can apply for any credit card while you’re on vacation. All you need is a computer/phone/tablet with wi-fi & you’re golden. Think wi-fi cafe.