I had the hardest time deciding what to post about tonight, because there are so many different things going on that I wanted to share, so I decided to just do some little updates on different topics instead of actually having to pick just one.  :)  Well, and I couldn’t find a five-sided coin to flip…

OneWorld MegaDO:

I know this has been un-affectionately dubbed “MegaDON’T” by some due to the extremely rapid sell-out and accompanying technical difficulties that occurred with booking this morning.  The good news is that the organizers have been working all day to sort out the double triple quadruple seat bookings.  I would personally like to see four people sit in one seat, but I’m sure the FAA would think differently, so instead the organizers have mentioned some possible solutions they are looking into.  They have mentioned a possible second aircraft or just one larger aircraft.    There has also been talk of some in “Tommy Class” (middle seat open) volunteering to have someone sit in the middle seat in their row.  In fact, here is what Randy Peterson himself had to say about possible solutions today on Milepoint.

Here’s where we are. Listen and listen closely. There seems to be a demand in just the first few hours of public opening for the OWMD for perhaps as many as 50-60 more seats and likely many more over the next few months before departure. You can imagine, a good problem to have. I’ve listened in on a few phone calls today and Tommy (got to love the guy…) is leading a discussion with American to go big(er)—lease a 777 to accommodate all that want to fly along. As well, on hold pending some other factors is another aircraft … that’s right, a second one decked out almost exclusively in Tommy Class. The challenge is whether Boeing can handle this many for the exclusive tours planned. SO, let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves and let the big guy dream big and allow us all to have an experience with our fellow frequent flyers we will likely never forget. Cool?

Whatever solutions they come up with, I have no doubt that the organizers will do everything within their powers to ensure as many people as possible are able to join in on this trip.  I also have no doubt that they will learn from the booking madness that happened today and do everything they can to be more prepared for the enormous, awesome demand that there now is for these sorts of trips.

US Airways Grand Slam:

As we approach the end of October, I highly recommend you not delay on getting any planned hits completed for the Grand Slam.  Obviously there are some hits, like hotel stays, that you may still be waiting to complete (like me), but if there is anything that you can go ahead and complete now I highly recommend it.  While you just have to have the activity date completed by 11/14 (as opposed to the post date), it is still better to be safe than sorry.  There are also some hits, like the credit and debit cards, that it is probably already too late for if you haven’t already applied for those cards.

Thanks to all the comments encouraging me to go forward, I have also decided to go “all in” for 36 hits.  I will post an update on how my hits are going early next week.  I did contact Sharebuilder after their miles-posting process seemingly went manual (aka ridiculously slow), and they assured me that my husband’s hit will post now that he has completed a trade.  It may take 4-6 weeks to post though.  I keep reminding myself to be patient!

Chicago Seminars:

I will be heading to Chicago tomorrow to take part in the Chicago Seminars.  I can’t wait to see old friends, make new friends, and hear miles and points tips from some of the best in the business!  If you are going, please say “hi” if you see me.  I’ll be the one dressed like a “points pirate” Saturday night!  While some of the info shared at the Seminars is designated as “not for public distribution”, I will share as much as is allowable both during and after the event.  Follow me on Twitter @Mommy_Points for some “live tweets” from the event.   :)  At the very least, I will be sure to share a few pictures of other miles and points junkies in their Halloween costumes.

Kimpton Hotels Four Day Sale:

I’ve been meaning to post about this one since the sale started, but I keep getting distracted (uh-hum OWMD!).  I don’t talk very much about Kimpton Hotels – mostly because I haven’t stayed in one since I started MommyPoints, but I really do love that hotel chain.  Their hotels are funky, sexy, and fun.  I have stayed in a few different ones, and have always really enjoyed my stay.  The toughest part about this chain is that their rates are sometimes higher than I am able to pay, however during this sale the rates are in the $99-$199 range.  If you have a trip coming up between now and January 31st in a city with a Kimpton hotel, it is worth checking out the rates to see if you can score a good deal.  Some cities with several Kimpton hotels include: Washington DC area, NYC, Seattle, San Fransisco, and Chicago.  To book a room with this deal, use the booking code “ONE”.  Be aware, the rates are pre-paid and non-refundable.

Check out Loyalty Traveler for even more details about this sale!

Get a Credit Card, Feed a Baby:

Okay, that title is a little over-dramatic, but in the interest of transparency (like I would be a good secret keeper anyway), I wanted to make you aware that from time to time I will now be including affiliate links of my own to certain credit card offers that I think are top-notch.  I post fairly regularly about how miles and points credit cards help my family travel for free, and there is no doubt that credit card sign-up bonuses are the #1 way to rack up a lot of miles quickly.  So, I decided that when I talk about a credit card deal that I love, if I happen to have an affiliate link for the best available offer, I will include that a link to that offer in the post.  I will obviously not be including my own links if there are better offers out there because that would just be silly.  No worries, this site will not be turning into Credit Cards R Us – in fact there really should be no noticeable difference to you at all (and if you feel there is, please let me know!), but I just wanted to be up front since I have said in the past that I don’t receive any form of compensation or referral credit for talking about various credit card offers.  Going forward, that will still sometimes be the case, but sometimes I will get a referral credit if you decide to get a card by using one of my links.  I know, the sky is clearly now falling.  :)

Okay, I think that is it.  I’d like to say I was now going to go and pack for the Chicago Seminars, but really I am just going to check out the last episode of Pan-Am that is burning a hole in my DVR player waiting for me to watch it!  I’m sure I will be running around tomorrow morning like a crazy person trying to get ready as a result, but you gotta have priorities!

19 Responses to “Some “Important” Points”

1. erndog says:

Hello Mommy Points – great update!

Are you aware of the just-announced DEQM offer from AA? Realizing that it impacts only a handful of cities, it still may be meaningful if you are doing the one-world mega-do. You’ll get the 7,500 EQM’s with AA for the Megado, but the DEQM offer through March 2012 should help you get to the 10,000 point status pretty easily – better to be plat than gold, eh?

2. Jiml says:

Ditto, great update! Thank you for your uplifting, informative and timely blogging. Let’s hope the megado does get sorted out. At least the cardinals just won game 6 against all odds, so maybe there is hope for the megado!

3. Gary says:

I watched my DVR’ed episode of last Sunday’s Pan Am last night, too. I do not expect this series to last . . .

@erndog, too bad it can’t be stacked to get to the finish line of the OWMD faster, DEQMs are always nice! As soon as I get a second, I will have to look at that more.

@JimL, thanks! I also hope for a good resolution for everyone on the OWMD soon. As for the Cardinals…..I am an Astros girl at heart, but the Rangers are still from Texas so….. :)

@Gary, don’t say such things! I have heard it isn’t being that well received either, but I really like it. Of course, back when I had “free time” I also used to watch quality programs like “19 Kids and Counting” and “Pregnant in Heels”.

7. Quickroute says:

Just a heads up my 9/24/2011 purchase on BISCOFF GOURMET SNACKS finally posted 10/27/11 – thought that would never show up!

8. Lyssa says:

Have fun at the Chicago seminar, I am kicking myself for not signing up. Oh well, maybe next year. Is it always in Chicago?

9. Vik says:

Do you know if there is a waiting list for the OWMD?

10. Jim L says:

My Biscoff hit showed up fairly quickly, but the actual cookies never did. I will get my 40th hit tonight at the rennaissance LAX. This is definitely my favorite game of the year! At least there is some solace when you get shut out of your first megado. :(

@Quickroute, that once a month posting takes forever sometimes!
    @Lyssa, thanks! They have historically been in Chicago, but the Frugal Travel Guy (Rick) has tossed around the idea of Orlando next year.
    @Vik, I think there is an internal list while they see what can be done for those who booked, but don’t yet have a seat. I have not seen them open a public one yet officially, but I will let you know when I do see that. Megado.com will also have the most up to date info on that. :)
    @Jim L, contrast on the 40th hit!! Are you now going to be playing for other accounts/family members, or are you retired for the year?

12. Nun says:

I wish I had noticed the Carlson 5k thing last week. Was it on Mommy Points? I don’t see it.

@Nun, I tweeted about it but by the time I found it it was going to be over soon and I didn’t have the time left to make a post about it. Sorry you missed out on it! If you want to follow me on Twitter, sometimes I tweet about things that I don’t have a chance to write a full post about. @mommy_points

14. MichaelP says:

I am looking go sign up for the following credit cards.

- Citi Thank You
    - US Air

I would like to use your affiliate link if you have them.

@MichaelP, thank you so much! I don’t currently have an affiliate link for the US Airways card, but I do for the Citi ThankYouSM Premier Card for 50,000 points with $2500 spend in the first three months – annual fee waived the first year. Thanks so much and good luck with your applications!

Here is a regular link for the US Airways 40K card. I just actually applied for that one today.

16. MichaelP says:

Thanks, I got instant approval for the US Airways.

I am still deciding between the Citi Thank You and the Virgin Atlantic credit card. Do you have the affiliate link for Virgin Atlantic as well?

@MichaelP, congrats on the instant approval! Sadly Bank of American doesn’t seem to be doing affiliate links right now (or at least that is what I was told), so I don’t have one for that card. You can still get it straight from Bank of American though. Good luck on whichever you decide to go for. Keep me posted!

18. MichaelP says:

I applied on behalf of the Lady for the Citi Thank You (using your link) and was approved.

@MichaelP, aw, thanks so much and congrats on the approval!