A couple months ago, those of us with Amex cards had the chance to spend up to $10 in Austin and get it back for free via a synced Amex and a Twitter promotion.  Today, that same opportunity exists in lower Manhattan.  While the promo was designed for the Tribeca Film Festival that is going on in lower Manhattan, those of us who aren’t currently in Manhattan can still get in on the action from afar.

Here are the steps:

1.  Sync an Amex card to your Twitter accountWhile you are in “Twitter World”, feel free to follow me @Mommy_Points

2.  Tweet #AmexTFF10.  You should get a response back from Amex instantly confirming you for the promotion.

3.  Spend $10 at a merchant in those eligible lower Manhattan zip codes.  Alternatively, you can do what I am doing and donate $10 to a charity in those zip codes.  I really wanted to donate to a Family/Child centered foundation I was involved with at NYU, but I am afraid that even though they physically located in lower Manhattan, it won’t work because I think their donations/payments go through Chicago.  So, I am just following the lead set by Dan’s Deals and donating $10 to the Chabad of NYU.  I’m not Jewish, but I did go to NYU, so close enough.  ;) Of course, it doesn’t have to be a charity, any retailer below 23rd Street billing from those zip codes listed below would presumably work.

Terms and Conditions:

To be eligible to receive a $10 statement credit you must Tweet using #AmexTFF10 then use your synced Card  to make a single purchase of $10 or more in-store at accepting merchants by 4/29/12. Offer is valid only at accepting merchants in Manhattan below 23rd street in the following zipcodes: 10011, 10014, 10012, 10013, 10008, 10006, 10004, 10005, 10038, 10002, 10009, 10003, 10010. Limit 1 per Card. Registration is limited. You will be sent a message from @amexsync once offer has been loaded to your Card.  Your Card must be synced with Twitter to take advantage of this offer.  Payments using Express Pay are not eligible for this offer. Statement credits are generally issued within 3-5 business days after your qualifying purchase, but may take up to 2 billing periods to post to your account.  Program Terms and Conditions apply; click below for details.

More ways to help:

While we are on the topic of helping others, I did want to include a way to help out the family of Kala Golden Schuchardt.  She was the mom of the three-day-old infant who was kidnapped in the parking lot of his pediatrician’s office earlier this week.  Kala, the mom, was shot multiple times as she tried to get her baby back from the kidnapper.  She passed away from her injuries, but the baby, Keegan, was found unharmed later that night.  This story has made national headlines, but it happened just minutes away from where I live, so it is a local issue for me as well.  Regardless of where it occurred, as a mom, this story is terrifying and heartbreaking.  I know how vulnerable I sometimes feel traveling alone with my kiddo – heck, even just running errands around town and putting her in the carseat can make you a “sitting duck”.  Bottom line, this could have just as easily been me or anyone else, so if you feel compelled to help her family cover funeral and other expenses, you can make a donation online (sadly there is no Amex credit for this one, but you can earn points/work toward minimum spending requirements on your credit cards if you are so inclined).

My family is very fortunate in what we have and our ability to travel the world (almost) for free, so I am honored to have the chance to pay some of that forward to those who need it.  Thanks in advance for considering joining me in helping others either via the Amex promotion or by helping Kala’s family.

22 Responses to “Paying it Forward (for free)”

1. emmygofly says:

I used the Amex Twitter promotion to give a $10 donation to Smile Train, which is located in lower Manhattan. It worked for me. http://www.smiletrain.org/

@emmygolfy, awesome. Thanks for finding another option!

3. Sgs says:

Does anyone know if Planned Parenthood in manhattan is processed from any of these zip codes?

4. Up&Away says:

I have seriously got to get an AmEx card in my next app-o-rama. I must be the last person on earth to not have one and be missing out on all this stuff…

Then again, I don’t have twitter either… :O

@Sgs, I don’t know, maybe someone else can weigh n.
    @Up & Away, I truly believe everyone needs an Amex in their credit card arsenol. Small Biz Saturday, Gift Chain, MR bonuses, Twitter and FB promos, discount on Daily Getaways, etc. SPG Amex or the Citibank AAdvantage Amex are great ones to consider starting with.

6. Jamison says:

@mommypoints Some people just have really bad credit and cant get AMEX cards……

Jamison, that could be said of any of the rewards credit cards for sure. However, for anyone who can get one, I recommend it. Even the Amex branded cards that are issued by other banks are useful for many of these promos.

8. MSPDeltaDude says:

@ Jamison- Those people should work on improving credit and earn one!

9. greek2me says:

@emmygofly- great tip on Smiletrain.org. Love to support them and their awesome work. Just did a donation; thanks Amex!

10. dave says:

MP – can you sign up for a business and personal AmEx at the same time?

11. Lauren says:

Thanks!
    You can also get 2 free tickets to the tribeca film festival if you live in nyc. Tweet #AmexFilmTFF

However I just tried it > got confirmed > went to the link > selected my tickets and on the billing page it is asking: “Please enter your passcode, member code, or coupon code to continue”

Any ideas?

12. buschoi says:

I donated mine to Smile Train. I have been getting its ads in the mail, but this is the first time I am donating to it.

Yay to everyone supporting Smile Train or any other charity! Dave, yes.

14. Justin says:

Did anyone get a confirmation email? I donated last night and haven’t received one yet. I remember getting emails for the other amex/twitter promotions if I’m not mistaken. Also. once a card is synced to an account, it stays synced, right?

@Justin, I got one within a few minutes of donating. It should stay synced unless you un-synced it.

16. MJL says:

I found this public school http://ps11chelsea.org/annual-fund/ that accepts small donations through NYCharities.org, which is incorporated in zip 10004.

I just got the email about you tweeted, you saved, so it did work, whether it’s because the school is in the right zip code or NYCharities is, I don’t know.

NYCharities.org search engine is terrible or broken, I can’t figure out which.

17. MJL says:

Miracle House provides temporary housing, meals, and advocacy to caregivers and patients coming to New York City for critical medical treatment.

looks like another interesting organization, their IR form has some legitimate donors on it.

18. Liz says:

Thanks for the heads up! Should I be getting a response on twitter confirming me for the promotion, or just an e-mail after I’ve spent the money?

You should get a tweet back right after you tweet the # with the deal info and then after your purchase you should get an email.

20. Milezjunkie says:

Awesome find again! I just donate to Smile Train. My cousin has adopted two cleft children from China so it’s really a great cause!

21. MJL says:

Someone on SlickDeals reported getting credit for using NYCharities.org and donating to a non-NY charity, since NYCharities.org is kind of a clearing house for CC payments to charities. If you know the exact name of a charity I think the search engine will work for you, otherwise it is hard to search.

22. Roger says:

For those not on Twitter, if your Amex Card is synced with Amex’s Facebook campaign, Link > Like > Love, you can add the $10 Tribeca Film Festival deal to your Amex card via Facebook. I got an email from Amex pretty quickly after spending the $10 (within the same day).