Okay, admit it, who else has Olympic fever?  Once every four years we all pretend to know about gymnastics, swimming, diving, etc…and it is so much fun!  I have been on vacation since the Olympics began, but I have been sneaking in as much TV time as possible at night and during nap times.  I’ll be traveling tonight during the women’s gymnastic team finals, so no one tell me the results.  ;)

All of this Olympic excitement is just about to push me over the top on the “excitement radar” given that we leave for London to enjoy a couple of Olympic events in just a few days.  My husband got very fortunate at being able to do some work for his company while in London, so this is a “work trip” for him.  We desperately need to plan out our schedule while we are there so that we see some of the major attractions in London (since it is his first time to go to that city), get to the events, enjoy some time in the Visa Lounge, visit some pubs, have time for him to work, etc.

I have been posting about my process of planning the trip to London over on the Travel Channel’s blog.  If you are curious, here are my posts so far about our trip to the Olympics:

Planning Our Trip (thanks Club Carlson for the great promos that made it happen!)

Free Events and Activities While in London

How to Still Get Olympics Tickets

I’ll also be blogging more for the Travel Channel (and here) about the Olympics from London, so that should be really fun.  I’m already plotting the trip that Little C and I will take to Brazil to see the Olympics in four years!  She will be the perfect age to be in awe of the gymnasts!  But before I get too far ahead of myself, I need to really start focusing on the trip that is almost here.  I really can’t believe we are heading to London so soon.  My first time to see Olympics gymnastics, first time to fly in international business class, and first time to Europe with my husband.  Would love any suggestions from those who are already at the Olympics, or from others who just love London!

16 Responses to “Olympic Fever Has Landed”

1. DBest says:

Would love if your husband could do a post-trip report on bringing the familia along on work trips and whether it is indeed a twofer or just really really hectic!

2. Brendan says:

Grosvenor Square was my favorite park while staying/working over there. It is away from the crowds but close enough to picadilly and regent streets to walk. For a relatively cheap eat, although a chain, Nando’s is a decent and fast place to grab a meal (mostly grilled chicken). There are a few locations around the city and is one affordable thing I enjoyed about London.

3. Scottrick says:

V&A Museum, Science Museum, and British Museum are my favorites (I’m a museum nerd). Some of the best in the world IMO. Be sure to check out Regents and Hyde Parks.

4. Robert Hanson says:

The British Museum should really be called the World History Museum, as it has amazing collections from around the world. It is awesome, huge, and free. The actual Rosetta Stone is there, along with the Marble Sculptures from the Parthenon in Athens. There are free small group tours every half hour or so from 11 to 3, led by docents that concentrate on a special area of the museum, say Ancient Egypt or Classical Greece. No need to reserve, just show up at the time and place posted at the entrance. There is a sample schedule on their website.

The National Gallery {not the Portrait Gallery} is one of the great Art Museums in the world. Also free to visit, there are free tours at 11:30 and 2:30 that view and discuss 5 or 6 paintings in depth. Each tour is unique, depending on the leader’s whim at the time. There is also a one room collection of major Impressionists, Monet, van Gogh, etc. that is not to be missed, if that’s your sort of thing.

5. Jessica says:

Funny, I’m already planning my trip (in my head) to the next summer olympics too! I didn’t know they were in Brazil!! Excited already :)

6. Chris G. says:

I spent a semester abroad in London and I have to agree with Scottrick that the V&A, Science and British Museum’s are a must.

While you are at the Science Museum or at Hyde Park you need to go to my favorite pub, The Queens Arms (30 QUEENS GATE MEWS, KENSINGTON, LONDON, SW7 5QL). It is literally down an alley way right near Royal Albert Hall. It is an awesome pub.

If you want a great fish and chips experience go to The Rock & Sole Plaice
    (47 Endell Street, Covent Garden, London WC2H 9AJ).

As you can tell…I was focused on the food :)

7. Blaine says:

Are you and The Man flying together, or is his ass in coach? :)

8. Damyon says:

Don’t forget to visit the Visa Lounge. My children love the place.

9. Joe says:

My wife and I just returned from London yesterday and we were able to catch men’s gymnastics on Saturday and beach volleyball on Sunday ( as well as the woman’s road race – we were at the 2km left mark in the pouring rain with half Westminster it seemed). Both ticketed events in cat A seats We stayed at the Abbey Court near Notting Hill which was ‘interesting’ and was able to get the tickets on eBay at a slight markup.

The marathon swimming at the Serpentine looks like it would be fun as its in the middle of Hyde Park and there is plenty of free seating on the non-venue side of the park.

10. Michael R. says:

If during your trip there are days you will not be going to the Olympics, you might want to take a walking tour. My wife and I love walkable cities, and London is definitely that. One of our favorite routes takes us from Trafalgar Square (so you could make a stop at the British Museum first), over to St. Paul’s Cathedral (where Prince Charles and Lady Diana were married; we liked climbing up the tower as well), over the Millennium Bridge toward the Tate Modern Museum (and the bridge is all pedestrian, and architecturally and aesthetically beautiful). Across the bridge, if you want a longer walk, you can go left toward Tower Bridge (what many people mistakenly believe is “London Bridge”) and re-cross the Thames to see the Crown Jewels at the Tower of London. Or if you want a shorter walk, you can go right after crossing the Millennium Bridge and head toward the London Eye. If you want to go on the Eye and save yourself some time, they have various timed and flex tickets (see: http://www.londoneye.com/TicketsAndPrices/Tickets/Default.aspx). The flex ticket is more expensive, but if you don’t know exactly when you will get to the Eye and if time is short, the extra cost is worth it, IMHO. From the Eye you can cross the Thames again at Parliament Bridge to see Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, and next door, Westminster Abbey.

If you are going to the V&A, you will be near Knightsbridge, so if you want to see a spectacle, go to Harrod’s and check out the excellent Food Court – really quite impressive, and I always go to pick up a new stash of tea.

Three restaurant recommendations: Tamarind (Indian) in Mayfair, Matsuri of St. James not to far from Picadilly Circus (Japanese – go for a teppanyaki table and save room for the fried/flaming ice cream), and Nobu (Japanese) near Hyde Park.

Enjoy your child-free trip, have a fantastic time at the Olympics, and soak in your wonderful first experience in international business class!

11. Michael R. says:

A few more things: I highly recommend an Oyster Card if you will be riding the Tube a lot – a great savings over a la carte tickets (https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do). Also a London Pass may make economic and time-saving sense if you have time to visit more than a few of the attractions that require payment to visit (http://www.londonpass.com).

12. Whiskarina says:

I am in Paris now and just experienced the The May Fair, ViSA VIP Lounge, Olympic Park, diving and Men’s gymnastics… They were all GREAT! I sent you a pm with a couple suggestions/tips! Enjoy!

13. AlohaDaveKennedy says:

Oh, this is depressing.

While I have Boonedoggled trips to 22 of the 50 states, various National Parks, Washington DC, San Francisco and even a presidential inaugural ball, this Olympics Boonedoggle so beats me hands down. :( I feel like going to a ticket office and throwing all my money away paying for tickets and hardly have the energy to lift another frequent flyer mile. Oh, how can I face my peers? Beaten by a blogger and a mere tot using the old tagalong trick. My only consolation is that I am boycotting the Olympics since they did not allow Texas to send a team.:)

Thanks to all for the suggestions! We will be utilizing as many of them as is possible on our short journey (but we already have a return trip booked for next year, so will use more of them then).

As for the work trip, I’ll be happy to ask my husband to write a post about the pros/cons of combining work with pleasure. He will be sitting right next to me in biz class. Sending him to coach would never fly on a flight that crosses the ocean. He would rather stay home. He’s not a small guy, so a few hours in coach is his max.

AlohaDaveKennedy, burn those miles and go! I’m 99% sure I have an extra gymnastics ticket – I’d even be willing to take a little bit of a loss on it. ;)

15. Shanna says:

You could take a walk thru Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens and do a mini-storytime on Peter Pan, on the way to/in front of the statue. There is a gelato place a few blocks away (Notting Hill direction) and it is practically across the street from the Princess Diana Playground where C can climb around a ship-wreck and hang out with some local kids. There is a really cool fountain (aka, stream) there too….it is never on, but I bet they turned it on for the olympics!

16. [...] Mommy Points has Olympic fever and so do we! See her roundup of her tips on traveling to the Olympics and more. [...]