My biggest complaint about the Hyatt brand in general is the lack of hotels in some of the cities we want to visit (like our upcoming Dublin visit).  When there is a Hyatt option, we often go for it, but that isn’t always possible due to the limited number of hotels.  The good news is that there is one more Hyatt hotel to add to the list of hotels around the world…The Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht.

This hotel is now accepting reservations for stays beginning November 23rd (though their website indicates that the hotel may actually open in October).  Naturally I was most curious as to which Gold Passport Category the hotel would be slotted into.  While it wouldn’t have been a total shock to see it in the highest Category 6, it is currently just a Category 5 hotel.  This puts it in the same company as the Andaz Liverpool Street in London.  It is always possible it will change categories over time, but for now it will cost 18,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points per night.  If you don’t have 18K Hyatt points, you can transfer them in instantly from the Ultimate Rewards program.

The lowest rates I could find for late November were 255 Euros plus tax per night (about $328 USD), so 18,000 points per night is a decent deal as you will be getting close to two cents per point value for your redemption.

Just like with many other properties in Europe, don’t look for this hotel to have standard rooms available above double occupancy.  There are no double beds listed as available on the site.  Only the larger rooms accept reservations for more than two persons online.

As is true with other Andaz properties, snacks and non-alcoholic drinks are complimentary from the mini bar.  Internet is also complimentary at this hotel.  The hotel website lists their location as:

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht is marvelously located on the site of the former Public Libary on the Prinsengracht – Prince Canal, right in the middle of vibrant Amsterdam.

Within a few steps from the hotel, you can find Amsterdam’s major attractions, like the Anne Frank House, West Church, the Royal Palace and the Red Light district.  Also the city’s most famous museums, like the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Stedelijk Museum and Hermitage are located just around the corner.

Amsterdam is on my husband’s short-list of places he wants us to visit, so I hope to try this hotel out myself in the not too distant future.

12 Responses to “New Andaz Amsterdam Now Taking Reservations”

1. Laura S. says:

My husband and I went to Amsterdam for our one-year anniversary. We both agreed it was better than our honeymoon! We absolutely loved it! We stayed for 3 nights which was plenty of time to see the city. You can walk everywhere, and it’s a fun city to just get lost in.

2. Your complain about Hyatt is the exact reason I never stay with them. Given that they rarely work for me, it makes more sense to stay loyal (for me) with other programs. Glad you may have more options in the future.

3. FEV says:

Amsterdam is a wonderful city! I hope you get to visit soon.

4. Askia says:

I see lots of raves from Gary and TPG about the Andaz hotels, but they don’t seem to be very family friendly.

5. Jimgotkp says:

Askia, the Andaz concept is definitely not meant for families IMHO.

No, the Andaz concept is not the most family friendly out there. That said, I do have a reservation at an Andaz in NYC with my whole family later this year, so we will see how it goes.

7. Keith says:

My wife and I both signed up for the Chase Hyatt card earlier this year, and I had vague notions of going to a top-notch Hyatt to redeem our combined four free nights. That is, until I recently realized what you mentioned above, that most Hyatts that I’ve checked in Europe show the maximum allowed guests as 3 :(

Is there a certain brand of Hyatt that typically would allow 2 adults and 2 kids in a room? Or should I just plan to redeem our free nights in the US, where allowing 4 guests seems to be more typical than overseas?

8. Gene says:

This doesn’t strike me as the family-friendliest hotel! I can’t wait to go there.

9. PedroNY says:

Amsterdam is a wonderful city to visit, go there with your husband but leave the little one behind. It is hard to visit cafes and coffee shops and walk everywhere (or take a tram) with a little one, she will get tired very quickly.

Also, consider Pulitzer Hotel as well, only 12,000 SPG points/night, great value.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,

PedroNY

@Keith, I plan to write a post on a similar topic in the near future.
    @Gene, ha ha. I look forward to it as well…likely on a kid-free trip.
    @PedroNY, it is likely Amsterdam will be visited on a kid-free trip…or at least C might not come until she is much older. I’m sure it can be enjoyed with a family, but it would be a different trip.

11. gpapadop says:

I find the Pulitzer way overrated (Starwood). I find the Crowne Plaza as one that is best located but don’t take good care of Platinums. Hilton and IC are a bit out of the way. Aiming to try the new Doubletree next time I am in Amsterdam. Cafes are not too kid friendly;-)

12. Irisa says:

I just got back from an amazing trip! The Andaz Amsterdam was a beautiful hotel with great amenities, very convenient (walking distance or bike) to museums and exhibits in the city. Great shops and restaurants very close, as is the Holland Casino.
    This hotel was previously a library, and very nicely renovated. We enjoyed the stay very much.