If you have seen the images of what Hurricane Sandy has done to the East Coast over the last few days, and want to help out by making a donation, it is possible to earn some miles and points in the process.  Obviously the main thing in a situation like this is to get help those in need, but if it doesn’t hurt anything for you to pick up a few miles and points at the same time, then everyone wins.

Here are a couple of the offers I am aware of:

• United: United will award 250 bonus award miles for donations of $50-99, and 500 bonus award miles for donations of $100 or more to the American Red Cross, AmeriCares, or Feeding America.  They are also matching the first $50,000 in donations to those organizations.

• American Airlines: Through November 30, 2012, AAdvantage members can earn a one-time award of 250 AAdvantage bonus miles for a minimum $50 donation, or 500 AAdvantage bonus miles for a donation of $100 or more to the American Red Cross.
  • US Bank FlexPerks: If you have a US Bank Flex Perks card then all charity expenditures should earn 3x points, so you could potentially stack this with the bonus from United or American, or take advantage of the 3x to donate to the charity of your choice.
  • JetBlue: 6 points per dollar donated.  They did match up to 50K, but that quota is already met.

Many organizations that are striving to help those impacted by the hurricane, such as The Salvation Army, also accept donations of airline miles (Salvation Army accepts United and Delta miles) if you would prefer to donate in that manner.  As the holidays/end of the year approaches, I plan to do a more comprehensive post about maximizing charity donations in the miles and points world, but I wanted to point a couple of these options out now in case you were interested in making a donation connected to the recent devastating hurricane.  Thanks to everyone who considers donating, and I hope that everyone who was personally impacted by the storm is doing okay.

New Girl in the Air also has some information available about charity donations and Hurricane Sandy.  Let me know if you find an opportunity that is not listed here, and I will do my best to get it added.

Update: It was pointed out in the comments section that even though it doesn’t seem to be advertized until check-out, there is a $5 fee at least with United when donating to the Red Cross.  I would guess it is true for all three charities, but I have not verified.  Just be aware….

10 Responses to “Earn Miles for Hurricane Sandy Donations”

1. greek2me says:

nice post- get the word out- great time to help others in need

2. palmerlaw says:

Keep getting “Page Not Found” error page after clicking donate with the United link. Tried in Chrome and IE to no avail.

@palmerlaw, I use FireFox and it is still working for me.

4. [...] to donate money to the relief effort of Hurricane Sandy, there are a number of different ways to earn miles for doing [...]

5. Mervin says:

I just donated via the United link but I didn’t realize until I went through with it that the credit card processor charges a $5 fee. I should have donated directly to the redcross instead of spending an additional $$ just for 250 miles.

@Mervin, eek! They sure don’t advertize that where anyone will see it. I will update the post accordingly and thanks.

7. Jason says:

There is no fee for American, as usual. United’s is through a 3rd party, so the fee is to support their site, like Kiva. You can change the fee to 0 if you want. Fee details are provided here:

8. Jessica says:

JetBlue is also offering 6 points per every $1 donated: http://jetbluegives.org/

9. Monica says:

Hilton HHonors is giving 10 bonus points for every $1 donated: http://www.globalgiving.org/hhonors/?wt.mc_id=CMEM_BQlDbtB8u9QeX7

10. [...] Mommy Points: Earn Miles for Hurricane Sandy Donations [...]