This content is not provided or commissioned by American Express. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of American Express, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express. This site may be compensated through American Express Affiliate Program.
Update: Thank you so much to everyone who participated. The donation has been made in honor of all 104 comments left.
Like many of us, I have been seeing the photos and hearing the stories coming out of the Northeast related to Hurricane Sandy, and I want to do more than just say “Oh that’s horrible, I wish I could help”. The reality is that most of us can help. Whether it is by donating time, money, items, or miles/points, the majority of us can do something.
I live on the Gulf Coast, and hurricanes are unfortunately a part of life here every now and again, but that does not make it any easier when your turn is up. To make things even worse, the population in the Northeast is much more heavily concentrated than in my neck of the woods, so when something goes wrong it effects an even greater number of people at the same time. That means that there are a bunch of people who really need help.
While I have posted already about how to earn miles and points by donating money to the hurricane relief efforts, I want to include an updated list since more hotels and airlines have come out with promotions to encourage donations. Additionally, several BoardingArea bloggers are making it even easier to help by donating $1 toward the Hurricane Sandy relief efforts for each comment on our Hurricane Sandy posts (like this one), up to a combined $1,800 total between the participating blogs.
Thanks to Wandering Aramean (who lives in Lower Manhattan, and was without power for several days) for compiling much of the list below:
- JetBlue is matching customer donations up to the first $50,000 donated to the American Red Cross and also offering 6 points per dollar to their TrueBlue members. JetBlue is also making their presence felt on the ground in New York City, paying for meals from the Wafels & Dinges food trucks to be distributed to residents.
- Delta is donating $100,000 to the American Red Cross relief efforts. Additionally, SkyMiles members can also donate miles or money to the Red Cross; there does not appear to be any miles promo associated with it at this time.
- United Airlines is matching up to $100,000 in donations to three charities: the American Red Cross, Feeding America and AmeriCares. As of this morning their member have already donated more than $300,000 to the charities so the match is maxed out. Additionally, members who give a minimum of $50 will receive 250 bonus miles. Donations of $100 or more will receive 500 miles. The company will issue up to 5 million miles as part of the effort.
- American Airlines is offering 250 AAdvantage miles to members who donate $50 and 500 miles to members who donate $100 or more.
- Hilton is offering 10 HHonors points for every $1 donated (through their GlobalGiving site) through the end of the year.
- Starwood Preferred Guest will match points donations made to the American Red Cross through November 30th. Donations start at 2,000 SPG points.
- Salvation Army accepts donations of United and Delta miles with a minimum of 1,000 miles.
Additionally, when you make charity donations using your US Bank FlexPerks card, you earn 3x for your donation. Whether you donate points, time, dollars, or just take a few seconds to comment on this post, I encourage you to do something. Many of us in the miles and points community are fortunate enough to have the time and resources to travel, so let’s help those who are still struggling to get life back to some semblance of normal.
Leave a comment on this post stating how you like to help others in need, and it will raise $1 toward the hurricane relief efforts (please one comment per person, per blog). Then head to the similar posts at:
The deadline to get your comment counted is 11:59PM Eastern on Thursday November 8th (so we can get the donations out by the end of the week). Thanks so much for taking the time to participate!