I recently received an email from Chase informing me that the Chase VIP Lounge will be active again this holiday season at a few shopping locations across the country.  The Chase VIP Lounge is open from November 23–December 24, 2012 for Chase Continental and United cardholders and their guests.  It is kind of similar to an airline lounge and includes amenities like snacks, complimentary gift wrapping, flat screen TVs, WIFI, and a quiet(er) place to sit for a few minutes and escape the insanity of the mall during peak shopping days!

I could easily see my husband hanging out in the lounge watching football on a Sunday while C and I did some shopping…well at least I could see that easier than him actually going from store to store with us.  ;)  Chase did something similar at the Olympics in London, and more recently at Epcot for the Food and Wine Festival.  It really is a nice little perk that you can get from having some various Chase cards.

In addition to the lounge itself, what really caught my eye was that on Tuesdays they are giving away two United Club passes if you bring in a new and unwrapped toy for Toys for Toys.  There is a limit of one set of passes per cardholder, and non-cardholders are not eligible for this offer.  Several of my family members have Chase United/Continental cards, so I think it is a pretty good idea to make a group trip to the Chase VIP Lounge at the Houston Galleria on a Tuesday to turn in some Toys for Tots donations and pick up some United Club passes in the process.  I already have lounge access, but I like having spare passes to give to friends and family members who can use them.

There are Chase VIP Lounges in Houston, San Francisco, and Short Hills, NJ that are participating in this offer.  If you live in one of those cities, then consider stopping by with a toy donation (suggested at least $15 value) and pick up some United Club passes.

The Mall at Short Hills: 1200 Morris Tpke, Short Hills, NJ 07078
The Houston Galleria: 5085 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77056
Westfield San Francisco Centre: 865 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94103

Have you been to one of these lounges before?  What did you think?

10 Responses to “Chase VIP Lounges: Free United Club Passes With Toys for Tots Donation”

1. Helena Smith says:

Use your Amex card to buy the toy on Small Business Saturday and you’ll get 2 United lounge passes for free. And, if you keep the receipt, you can claim the gift as a deduction on your 2012 income tax return.

2. Julie says:

I haven’t been but I’ll be trying the one in SF …. would love a pair of passes since I misplaced the ones that came with my MileagePlus card.

Julie, let me know how it goes!

4. luv2earnmiles says:

I was at the United Chase lounge in the Westfield shopping center today in SF. Very NICE!! VERY Impressive – gift wrapping service, snacks, and many other ammenties. Bummed that I did not find the lounge until we were almost ready to leave.

5. Carol says:

I went to the VIP Lounge in Houston several times and also participate in the toys donation and got my free pass. Its great inside the lounge,as you have TV to watch, places to charge your phone or tablets, snacks and even free gift wrap. I can’t wait to try it again this year.

6. Lisa says:

I have went into the Short Hills Lounge twice this year in 2012 (the Sat after black Friday , then the following Friday). I thought the first visit may have been a flunk, so I had paid it another visit….here is my analysis.

The lounge was somewhat small, considering the population they are too serve. We had to wait around for a seat for about 15 minutes. My friend and I were fine, but for those it proved difficult when you have a children or elderly people with you. When you do finally get a seat, the tables need to be cleaned with no one taking care of that. Also the seats are hard aluminum for the most part, there are maybe 3-4 couches in the place, facing each other.

The lounge provided a person to put the Keurig coffee/tea into the dispenser for you (although it was not hard to figure out), potato chips, pretzels, scones and brownies.

When I went on Friday, supposedly the “cake boss” cupcakes were being served, although I did not see them. When I went to check my coat on the long line, the woman in front of me asked if that was where to get the cupcakes. I said ” in the coat room? I am not sure, that seems odd.”. Sure enough, I saw the person in front of me coming with her cupcake. I found they were dispensing them from a box in the COAT room, ONLY if you asked for one. Then they rationed them to one per person. The woman ahead of me asked for one each for her two kid and husband, she was told by a pretty & PETTY, blonde/light brown hair girl. The customer grew frustrated (with good reason) that she had to have her kids and husband stand on the coat closet line (which had a line of about 9 people) after waiting herself. The woman said, sorry maam, those re the rules. One one cupcake per person.

They did have small boxes of 2 chocolate truffles to give out. One older lady (say in her 70s) took 2 boxes one for her self & one for her elderly husband, who was with her. The attendant “aka chocolate police” ran to her & rudely exclaimed loudly, “ma’am, there is one one box per person” she said I am taking it for me husband. They said, he has to take it himself (meanwhile, he has one hand on a cane). She got so annoyed, she put both boxes back.

The gift wrapping wait was quite long also, I had 3 gifts to wrap and it took about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

My suggestion, is instead to have
    1) bigger space
    2) more bathrooms
    3) stop having rude people work the coat check
    4) don’t insist each person come for

Honestly, for what it

7. Lisa says:

Sorry, I got cut off early & it submitted.

4) Don’t insist each person come for their own cupcake. Tthe short, pretty girl in the coat room looks nice, but on the inside, was not. She was quite rude to people (during both visits). There are instances where it is very inconvenient (after waiting for a table for 15 minutes to make antsy kids, or elderly people stand in line for a cupcake, when a perfectly abled persons trying to help them). If you don’t believe the people, have an attendant follow the whom back to her seat to see what she said is true. Don’t just assume everyone is lying, it is quite offensive.

5) Don’t serve cupcakes from the coat room, the concept is pretty gross.

6) If concerned about rationing, maybe have people come out and serve them, one a piece.

7) more people wrapping gifts, so it does not take so long.

8) instead of having workers “police” the chocolates and cupcakes, get more people wiping tables and wrapping gifts.

Lisa, thanks for sharing your first hand experience. Sounds like too much demand and not enough supply in terms of space, manpower, goodies, etc.

9. wajeh khalaf says:

tuesday dec 18 we went me and my wife to the galleria we had kids toys but they where out of united club passes thanks

I was at the Houston Galleria yesterday (12/18) in the evening and we donated toys and got passes, so not sure what went wrong when you were there but they did have them yesterday evening. Sorry if you had that experience!