Good news – a Club Carlson credit card issued by US Bank is now available!  I actually really like Club Carlson points – but do keep in mind that it takes more of them to get a night top tier hotel than it does with a chain like Hyatt.  Top tier hotels like the May Fair I stayed at in London are 50,000 points per night.  Category 1 hotels are 9,000 points per night.  They do have cash and points awards.  Here are some details about the cards.

Club Carlson Premier Rewards Visa Signature:

• 10 points per $1 spent in eligible net purchases at participating Carlson Rezidor hotels worldwide
  • 5 points per $1 spent in eligible net purchases everywhere else
  • 85,000 Bonus Gold Points to start – Receive 50,000 Gold Points after your first purchase.  Plus 35,000 points once you spend $2,500 on your card within the first 90 days
  • Bonus Award Night – When you redeem Gold Points for 2 or more consecutive Award Nights, your last night is free.3 Exclusively for cardmembers!
  • Club Carlson Gold Status is yours after you activate and use your card
  • $75 annual fee

Club Carlson Rewards Visa Signature:

• 6 points per $1 spent in eligible net purchases at participating Carlson Rezidor hotels worldwide
  • 3 points per $1 spent in eligible net purchases everywhere else
  • 60,000 Bonus Gold Points to start - Receive 50,000 Gold Points after your first purchase. Plus 10,000 points once you spend $1,500 on your card within the first 90 days
  • Club Carlson Silver Status is yours when you activate and use your card
  • $50 annual fee

Club Carlson Business Rewards Visa:

• 5 points per $1 spent in eligible net purchases everywhere else
  • 85,000 Bonus Gold Points to start – Receive 50,000 Gold Points after your first purchase. Plus 35,000 points once you spend $2,500 on your card within the first 90 days
  • Bonus Award Night – When you redeem Gold Points for 2 or more consecutive Award Nights, your last night is free.3 Exclusively for business owners!
  • $60 annual fee
  • Club Carlson Gold Status is yours after you activate and use your card

US Bank is more stringent than some other banks in granting approvals to those who apply for multiple credit cards in a year.  I got approved when they were running a good bonus for the Flexperks card back in August, but many did not – or they got approved for a lesser card/offer that they did not want.  If you are a card churner, I would personally hold off on this one for a bit and see how tough it is for others to get approved.

I’ll post more about this card soon, but now it is time to head out for some fun in NYC with the family.  What do you think of this offer?  Will you be adding it to your credit card “wish list”?

Disclosure: I do receive a commission if you are approved for a credit card using one of my affiliate links.  As always, your support is very much appreciated!

31 Responses to “Club Carlson Credit Card Released!”

1. DaninSTL says:

Seems a little weak on the points since the value is so low and they should give you the concierge level with it IMHO. Chip and pin would be nice also since US bank has that available on other cards.

2. VIvek says:

I was just approved!! It immediatly tells you. BTW I was downgraded earlier this year to the card I didnt want during the Olympic promotion but still got the Visa Premier this time. Thank you so much mommypoints for the reminder that it became available today.

3. Ryan K says:

The free night on a 2 night stay is pretty sweet! Especially if you have taken advantage of the promos they have had this year. How I see it is this card will double the points I already have if I just use it for 2 night stays.

4. VIvek says:

@DaninST – I do not agree at all. With the free night on two or more nights, you effectively have to spend $10,000 at non-clubcarlson vendors to get two nights free at their top tier hotels. Some of their hotels are 500 bucks a night. That would make a return of 10%.

5. Grant says:

I hate US Bank, they screwed me on the Olympic flex perks offer but sending me a very low card. Barclays is also out to get me. I love citi, chase, and Amex so much.

6. Sil says:

Will pass. Not a great deal since I can pay $60 for one night with the Radisson Big Giveaway Promotion to get 50k.Never had a credit card with U.S. Bank before and not wasting a hard inquiry.

7. Ryan K says:

The business card seems to be the way to go. It has the exact same perks as the visa signature but the yearly fee is $60 instead of $75. Also just noticed each year you get a bonus 40,000 points. Worth paying the fee to keep it…

8. JohnnieD says:

The Premier Visa & Business Visa gets 40K on annual renewal…..

The Visa gets 25K on renewal….

9. Adam K. says:

That is an incredible card. It immediately makes Club Carlson a player again. Beyond the signup bonus, the 2.5-5 point per dollar spent, the 40K points per year, the gold bonus points for stays, plus, when honored, the room upgrades, early/late check-in/out and the welcome gift make it a great deal for $75 and a must-have I’d think.

10. It seems like a good offer if you have a stash of Club Carlson points to burn due to the stay two free night offer it comes with.
    The signup bonus could’ve been a bit more generous though.

For now I’ll also be sitting this one out until I hear more about it. I still have min spends to work on with a couple of other cards.

11. LarryInNYC says:

Is the free extra night benefit on EVERY award stay, once a year, or once only for the life of the card? If you can use it multiple times it would be a potentially very valuable benefit.

12. Ryan K says:

Its up to 50 extra free nights per year. So pretty much unlimited…

13. Karl Mitchell says:

Admittedly the top-tier Club Carlson hotels are typically not quite as luxurious as offerings from Hyatt, Marriott, Starwood and Hilton, but there are some very nice offerings, particularly in Europe.

The 40,000 bonus points per year plus bonus night per award booking is effectively two free nights per year (okay, technically you’d need to find another 10,000). It’s easy to find properties costing upwards of $200, especially in Europe, making this an extremely valuable benefit that IMO outcompetes all of the existing hotel credit cards.

Also note that the earning rate is very impressive. With gold status, and paying for the hotel with credit card, you will get 40 pts/$ plus 2000 points for booking online. So a $200 stay will net you 10,000 points.

Taking all benefits together, I’d say this is competitive with even the best Hilton offerings (combining the Citi Hilton Reserve with the free Amex Hilton). And for those of us that have built up a stash of Club Carlson points from recent promotions, this should help to stretch their value much further, especially if you’re booking 2-3 night stays.

14. Ken says:

“Maximum fifty (50) Bonus Award Nights per calendar year per member with an open Account (“Annual Maximum”).”

Interesting…

15. Bostondeallover says:

Without a concierge membership, the card offers are pretty junky. It’s better just to take their promotions.

16. bogger says:

lol, this offer is not junk. Plus you are assuming they will have those valuable promotions in the future…

Totally agree. This offer is very good – especially if you have CC points. No guarantees of BNG in the future, but if they bring them back it is 2x as good for cardholders. I will be getting a card before I make another major CC redemption.

18. colleen says:

Some of their Scandinavian properties have awesome (and expensive) breakfast buffets. Fortunately, they offer a points rate for a “biz room” that’s an upgraded room and includes breakfast. We’ve booked two nights in Copenhagen at 67k/night instead of 50k points for a standard room. Getting half off this stay will be fantastic – sign me up!!!

19. Nathan says:

I applied today for the premier card and was approved immediately. I have excellent credit and don’t churn often, but did have another Chase Ink Bold application a few days ago.

20. Vicky says:

I applied and got instant approval for the Premier Rewards which did surprise me as I did a churn yesterday and was approved for 3 cards. My logic was to apply perhaps before all the evidence of my recent applications was out there.

For me the be fit of this card is the second nights redemption being free is a big winner. We are planning on being in Scandanavia over the next couple of years and feel the Club Carlsonn program wud fit best with our travels.

21. Carol H, says:

I am considering applying for this card as I already have 115,000 CC points and have trips planned for AZ this spring and San Francisco this summer. Based on the experience of those who have already applied, I’m wondering what their level of tolerance is for number of inquiries and credit score. TransUnion is showing 6 inquiries and my credit score is: 779 on Credit Sesame, 786 on Quizzle and 929 (Vantage) on Credit Karma.

22. colleen says:

Oops – misspoke on #19 above. Biz room is 50% more than standard. 66k points instead of 44k. Will be fantastic, though, if the 66k will yield 2 nights w/bkfst!! Tripadvisor indicates that the bkfst is charged at 25 euros each.

23. Valerie says:

Anyone know if the free award night applies to existing reservation? Or do I need to cancel award booking then book again after getting the card?

24. Anon says:

Which credit bureau does US Bank pull?

I just finished an app spree, but my scores are still high since my new accounts haven’t all shown up yet. Tempted to take the plunge on the business card if it’s an EQ or TU pull…

25. Carol H, says:

Anon,

Which bureau a bank pulls from varies by state. In MN it’s Equifax. You can use the link below to check your state:

26. JohnnieD says:

Here is something from the T&C’s:

[If I am booking multiple nights/rooms, can I get the Bonus Award Night on both bookings?

No, only one room per reservation, per hotel for an Award Stay will be eligible to receive the Bonus Award Night.

So two rooms on one reservation is not allowed, but can I book one room then another two days later and still get the extra night free???

27. Anon says:

Got a “you’ll be notified in 7-10 days” on app submission and I’ve great scores and another card with them I’ve had for 3+ years in good standing…

Any tips for US Bank recon?

28. Anne says:

My husband and I are both CC members and travel lots. I am VERY disappointed that this is NOT available in CANADA. Please Club Carlson ..we would like to give you out business as we travel extensively and have perfect credit as we near retirement. Please provide us a Club Carlson card for Canadian residents.

On another matter..why are there no Club Carlson properties in Hawaii? We are there now and would have loved to use some of our points. Instead we have stayed at competitor chains.

29. pete says:

Can you apply for both personal and business card the same day?

30. CC Concierge says:

I’m about to review my cards to see who has the BIGGEST mileage offer to switch. Last year United had an offer and I got about 40,000 united miles which has an economic value of about $1000 when you convert the points (80,000 takes you on a round trip anywhere)

At first glance, I’ve held off proceeding for now as I think they are being a bit stingy!

I already get 20 points per dollar when dining in house with Carlson (as long as it’s on your bill) and use my Mileage plus Visa Signature card and those are hooked to Airline miles.

A free night is probably $100 bucks or much less, and a gold point accelerator while interesting for stays is less useful than the airline miles. And I note they did the deal with a 2nd tier bank (not Chase or someone like that) so the leverage is limited.