Here are a few quick updates on some different happenings in the miles and points world today.

• Some folks on Flyertalk are reporting that many once again are being targeted for a United MileagePlus Card that offers 50,000 miles after you spend $1,000 in the first three months of having the card.  You can then get an extra 5,000 miles for adding an authorized user.  All in all, that is a great offer if you can get it.  The regular offer is just for 30,000 miles, so this is clearly much better.  This isn’t exactly a public offer, but read the above linked FT thread for more details on how to improve the odds that you are targeted.

• When the list of Hyatt Hotels that are changing categories next year came out, the Park Hyatt Aviara Resort was said to be going from a Category 5 to a Category 4.  This would mean not only that the hotel would require fewer points, but as a 4 it would be eligible for use of a free annual night certificate if you have the Hyatt credit card.  However, it seems that was a typo.  It is not going from a 5 to a 4.  It is going from a 6 to a 5.  Still good to see the hotel going down in category as it will now require 18K points per night instead of 22K, but it’s not quite as good of news as had initially been announced.
  • Loyalty Traveler has a good post on the new Marriott MegaBonus promo for early 2013.  As usual, there are multiple versions that different people are offered, but many get a free night at a category 1-4 Marriott after two stays.
  • I’ve been getting some pretty interesting cash back offers on some of my Bank of America credit/debit cards.  For example, on my Hawaiian Airlines credit card I am currently offered 25% cash back on Starbucks purchases, among other things.  This is not a card I would typically use for that type of purchase, but 25% cash back is enough to get me interested.  If you have some Bank of America cards, then log in to your account and check to see if you have some BankAmeriDeals that will offer cash back at retailers you frequent.

Time to get back to wrapping presents, eating too many cookies, and celebrating the world’s newest 3 year old’s birthday!

10 Responses to “Mini Points: Improved UA Offer, Hyatt Category Update, and More”

1. Sarah C says:

Thanks for the tip! I have Hyatt Visa, Freedom, and CSP and last Chase app was 90+ days ago. Just applied and it said I would be notified within 10 days. In your experience, would you wait or call reconsideration line now for United Explorer card? Thanks!

2. Levy Flight says:

I see the 50k offer on my UA website page (signed in). I wonder if they know I cancelled my OnePass card earlier this month?

3. Levy Flight says:

….but I get an error message if try it. (Page is not available)

4. Lively says:

I only got 20% cash back offer on Starbucks (but we don’t even have a Starbucks in our county).

5. Grant says:

@Sarah, just call them now. if you are proactive and offer to close or transfer credit from another chase card, you will most likely be approved on the phone.
    Thanks for the tip on the BOA offers, no offes for my HI or VA card yet, but I signed up for their email reminders when deals post to my account.
    Do you hold on to your HI miles or do you just transfer them to Hilton?

6. Sarah C says:

@Grant, thanks! Will do!

7. Sarah C says:

@Grant, was approved apparently when I called and CSR said welcome packet is on it’s way. Thanks!

Sarah, agree I would just go ahead and call and get it done. ;)
    Grant, how weird – hopefully you will see some soon.
    Levy, maybe try another browser?
    Lively, interesting how they vary.

Sarah, yay!!!

10. Levy Flight says:

So it seems to be an active link now. My wife has not been offered this card through her account.