Other than the (almost) free travel, one of my favorite perks of the miles and points world is getting to connect with others who share this same hobby.  A great way to do that in-person is at many of the frequent flyer events.  There are Mega Dos (big organized and sponsored events), Mini Dos (small and informal events), and in-person miles and points seminars.

If you want to come to an in-person miles and points seminar, then two new events were just announced for you to choose from!  They are put on by different groups, but many (though not all) of the speakers do overlap.  I am excited to be presenting at both of these events, and would love to see some of you there!

Frequent Traveler University:

Dates: September 27 – 29th

Location: Grand Hyatt Tampa

Cost: $100

What’s included: Friday evening cocktail and canapes reception, all Saturday and Sunday events, plus lunch on both weekend days. The event is priced to cover event costs, but leftover funds will be donated to charity.

Speakers: Very initial stages, but confirmed speakers are Gary Leff (View From the Wing), Lucky (One Mile at a Time), Brian Kelly (The Points Guy), and myself.  More will be confirmed in the coming weeks – probably after the April FTU in the DC area (which is sold out).
Tickets are available for purchase here:

Tickets are non-refundable, but are transferable.  There will be a group rate for the hotel made available in the coming days. That link will also offer double Gold Passport points!

Chicago Seminars:

Dates: October 11-13th

Location: Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village in Chicago

Cost: $85

What’s included: Lunch and coffee breaks each day and a Saturday evening cocktail reception as well all of the sessions.

Speakers:

Brian Kelly, The Points Guy
Ben Schlappig, One Mile at a Time
Summer, Mommy Points
Daraius Dubash, Million Mile Secrets
Greg, Frequent Miler
Rene, Delta Points
Captain Denny Flanagan
Stefan, Rapid Travel Chai
Steve Belkin, “Beaubo the Contrarian”
Hans Mast of Shopping Portal Fame
Marshall Jackson on Cruising
John Nielson on Three Trips for Two
Bikeguy with Rookie Bootcamp
Howie Rappaport with Managing Family accounts
Cara Kretz ITASoftware by Google
John Lopinto of ExpertFlyer
Cliff Stratton with Computer Help for all
Rick Ingersoll the Frugal Travel Guy

The registration link for this event will be live very soon (a day or two).  The host hotel is $79 single or $89 double including one or two breakfast coupons per day with the rate. The overflow hotel will be the Holiday Inn O’Hare and shuttle service will be provided.  Registration will be transferable this year.

Host Hotel link: http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/…?groupCode=CSH

And code CHS for reservations

Overflow Hotel: The Holiday Inn O’Hare

Link without breakfast http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/…?groupCode=CI1

Use Code CI1

Holiday Inn O’Hare with breakfasthttp://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/…?groupCode=CI2

Use Code CI2

I am also helping to host an event for the spouses/significant others of miles and points addicts at Chicago Seminars.  The spouses put up with a lot of our craziness, and they deserve something just for them.  Think wine, cheese, appetizers, and some basic discussion about miles and points.  We haven’t firmed up the details of that yet, but it should be a good time!  So, if you are bringing a partner along for the ride in October then stay tuned for details about that event.

Unless you are just really into the social aspect of it all (and some are!), I don’t necessarily recommend attending both the Tampa and Chicago event.  Being that close to each other, I imagine the info presented won’t be dramatically different.  I would pick the destination and dates that work better for you and then let that guide your decision.  Both events are a little different, but do have similar content.  I personally really enjoy both, and am looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and meeting new friends in Tampa and Chicago!

Are you planning to attend either event?!

19 Responses to “Come Learn and Have Fun at Newly Announced Frequent Flyer Events”

1. Kal says:

I missed the last event in Chicago bcos of some commitments. Will surely join this year.

2. Anat Evron says:

Nothing in NY soon? ..

3. Matt says:

Planning for Chicago. Looking forward to it!

4. Winston says:

I’ll be in the Tampa event!

5. Travel Splash says:

I am scheduled to go to FTU in DC. It makes sense for me to skip the Tampa FTU and attend Chicago Seminars. @MP – You can count me in for any meetups in Houston. I live in Spring.

6. TheScooter says:

Hi MP – When will the Holiday Inn Elk Grove open up for reservations? Showing no rooms available at the moment. Also, is the Group Code for Elk Grove CHS or CSH? Your post shows CHS by the link to the Holiday Inn in your post has CSH. Thanks.

7. BothofUs2 says:

I was at Chicago last year, it was great with lots of useful information. In fact it was hard to decide which seminar to sit in on – the topics and speakers were quite interesting. It was cool to meet some of the other crazies in this hobby :-) and I look forward to attending again this year.

8. I am looking forward to the event in Washington, DC next month!

9. Jim says:

It’s becoming apparent there some kind of feud between Gary and Rick, two weeks apart?

10. Mark R. says:

I’m signed up for Chicago, and I told Rick to schedule the tornado for for late Sunday afternoon, after the conference ends.

11. LC says:

I’ll take ANY reason to visit Tampa. I plan to be there..

Nothing in ATL ?

Excited to hear some of you will be at one of these events! Hopefully there will be no tornadoes this year! ;)
    Historically the Chicago Seminars has only been in the Chicago area, but FTU can and does move around, so who knows where it will go next. ;) Has done NY, NJ, CA, DC, and now FL.
    I’ll have to look into the hotel issue – I just copied and pasted that info as it was given to me.

13. 3E says:

Please come to the Pacific Northwest! Seattle or Portland preferably. Would be great to see an event in this area.

14. CCORD says:

The hotel link shows the first night to be non-refundable. Here’s the message:

ANYONE CAN BOOK RESERVATIONS ANYONE CAN BOOK RESERVATIONS THE FIRST NIGHT IS NON REFUNDABLE AND CANNOT BE CANCELLED IF YOU DO NOT USE A CREDIT CARD TO GAURANTEE YOUR RESERVATION WILL BE CANCELLED WITHIN 24 HOURS OF MAKING THE RESERVATION 79 ONE B FAST VOUCHER AND 89 TWO BREAKFST VOUCHERS ADDITIONAL B FAST VOUCHERS 10 EACH

Is this correct?

CCord, it has said that in previous years and not been true. However, who knows if they will enforce it this year. If you are unsure of your plans the safe bet is to not lock in the hotel (or at least not that hotel), just in case.

16. Dad to GO says:

Oh my wife will be VERY happy if there is an event for the spouses! Especially if it involves wine and cheese ;-) Going to have to sign up for this for sure!

Dad to go, yup. Something just for those who are drug into this kicking and screaming. Or at least just drug. ;) Wine and cheese for sure…..hopefully some yummy stuff to eat and drink. Complimentary for those who tolerate our hobby. ;)

18. Jo says:

Yeah! FTU coming to TPA!! Love this! Orlando usually gets preference as the locale for a lot of cool stuff, but am so happy to see Tampa having enough appeal to draw in the business. I’ll be in attendance for sure, and will even encourage my travel-reluctant hubby to accompany me. We live in central FL so only have a short drive down to TPA and am already looking forward to it.

Jo, awesome! See you there!