This afternoon’s Daily Getaway deals are packages of Choice Hotel point – and I kind of like this deal. In case you are new to the Daily Getaways, they are daily deals for the next five weeks on discounted hotel stays, discounted points purchases, car rental deals, and more. The travel packages are provided by U.S. Travel Association, in cooperation with participating travel operators of the U.S. Travel Association and advertising support provided by American Express. To get an additional 10% off savings you must pay with any American Express card. Daily Getaways are only open to those who are US residents ages 18 and up (though some packages are for 21+ or even 25+). Here is a link to some tips for successfully purchasing these limited quantity deals.

20,000 Choice points for $102 ($91.80 with 10% Amex discount).  190 available, max purchase of two sets of points. $0.0046 per point

32,000 Choice points for $134 ($120.60 with 10% Amex discount). 660 available, max purchase of two sets of points. $0.0038 per point

36,000 Choice points for $156 ($140.40 with 10% Amex discount).  795 available, max purchase of two sets of points. $0.0039 per point

40,000 Choice points for $166 ($149.40 with 10% Amex discount).  325 available, max purchase of two sets of points.  $0.0037 per point

• Points are valid through December 31, two years from date of deposit (in this case that will be 12/31/15).
  • A maximum of 8 sets of points is allowed per loyalty number across all Choice Hotels offers.
  • Points will be posted to the account number given at time of purchase within 10 business days of purchase.
  • You must make your reward-night reservations personally through the Program Line or through your Choice Privileges online account no more than thirty (30) days prior to your planned arrival (for US locations, 60 days for international destinations). However, Choice Privileges Elite members have expanded booking windows as follows:  Elite Gold: eligible to book rewards within fifty (50) days of arrival.  Elite Platinum: eligible to book rewards within seventy-five (75) days of arrival.  Elite Diamond: eligible to book rewards within one hundred (100) days of arrival.

Deal Analysis:

This is another one of those “sleeper” deals that is actually pretty solid, but I think may get a bit overlooked to those not paying attention.  There are many hotels in European cities like London, Paris, Zurich, and more that can be booked for 25,000 Choice points per night.  That is the equivalent of about $95 USD per day.  Keep in mind that most of these hotels are pretty modest in room size and decor, but that certainly doesn’t mean they are bad options (though some may be too modest for some who have gotten used to fancy pants hotels).

GEM Hotel Soho

GEM Hotel Soho

Here are some examples of various redemptions options and the dollar equivalent you are paying if you buy points at $0.0038 cents each.

GEM Hotel Soho – 30,000 points ($114)

Comfort Inn Midtown West (Manhattan) – 20,000 points ($76)

Clarion Collection Hotel Opera Pavillion Paris – 25,000 points ($95)

Comfort Inn Buckingham Palace Road – 25,000 points ($95)

Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich – 25,000 points ($95)

Comfort Suites Paradise Island – 25,000 points ($95)

Roadway Inn University Downtown Austin – 8,000 points ($30)

Clarion Hotel Paris Opera

Clarion Hotel Paris Opera

Last year I bought Choice points and I plan to use them at Comfort Suites Paradise Island as it is located adjacent to Atlantis in Nassau and gives you access to all the Atlantis attractions.  Being able to get this for a family for around $100 per night via this deal is pretty great.  Using them in NYC to get decent rooms for $100 a night is also a good option.  If you have plans to go to Europe you can avoid exchange rate issues and secure rooms at a very reasonable price via this deal.

Of course the huge downside is not being able to book very far in advance on points.  In my case we booked rooms in Nassau on dollars and are hoping to switch it to our purchased points as the date nears (reward flights booked on Avios so we could cancel those without much of a penalty if it doesn’t work out).  I’m not purchasing any more points this year as I want to be sure I get to use the ones I have now first.

Some also like to get these points to transfer to Southwest as they have historically counted toward Companion Pass qualification.  If you just need a few more points to get to the 110,000 point Companion Pass threshold, 6,000 Chioce points transfers to 1,800 Rapid Rewards points.  If you wanted a different type of airline mile like United or American, then 5,000 points =  1,000 airline miles.  That comes to about 1.9 cents per mile which isn’t bad, but isn’t great either.

Do you plan to pull the trigger on Choice points?  If so, how do you plan to redeem them?

These packages go on sale Thursday at 1PM Eastern on the Daily Getaways website.

16 Responses to “Daily Getaway Deal (Thurs): Good Deal on Choice Hotel Points”

1. Kalboz says:

Thank you for the heads up! Just got me 40K points :)
    GETAWAY: Cambria Suites®: Stay 2 Nights for $166
    QUANTITY: 1
    COST: 166.00
    AMERICAN EXPRESS(R) CARD 10% SAVINGS: 16.60
    COST AFTER SAVINGS: 149.40

2. Gabriel says:

I got me 2 sets of the 36k points + 1 set of the 20k pts. So, 92k pts for $372.6. How I plan on using them?? I wasn’t going to comment until I got my purchase…but I plan on using these at the Comfort Inn in Avon, CO during ski season. 16k pts/night ($64.80) to stay next to Beaver Creek ski area (it’s a block from the Westin Riverfront Resort). Can’t beat that!

3. Anon says:

*Phew* 352,00 here – missed my second 2x 40k or it would’ve been a flawless 432,000. Time to book that Norway trip and then bump my entire family up to SW companion pass status!

4. Bryan says:

Buying them was tough but I have bought 32k and 40k. Does anybody know how really soon do they post into your account? I know it says 10 biz days max but I need to have it as soon as possible to book a stay on the 2nd week of July.

5. Kim says:

Bought 2 X 32k and thinking of using for 3 nights at the Comfort Suites Alamo/River walk in SAN, with 4k left over. Still need an additional 3 nights of accommodation, maybe 2 nights near the airport and one near Sea World (with the military Waves of Honor tickets you wrote about previously)? Wish I could have bought more; not sure what to do with the 4k leftover points. Any suggestions on SAN hotels or odd number of leftover points?

Kalboz, congrats!
    Gabriel, fantastic!
    Anon, wowzers. Well done!
    Bryan, I can’t remember how quickly they posted last year. Sorry. Fingers crossed it goes quickly!

7. Don says:

There are some great point deals for Italy. This spring I stayed in Rome (10 minute walk to the coliseum) for 10,000 points and in Venice (30 second walk to Piazza San Marco) for 10,000 points. The rooms were very small but clean and comfortable – plus free breakfast. The hotel I stayed in Rome was going for $225 euro night and in Nenice around $200 euro a night. I think I paid last year around $150 for 40,000 points in exchange for almost $1000 in us dollars in rooms.

8. Don says:

I forgot to add they will match status. Which allows you to book rooms further in advance.

9. Gabriel says:

I’ll 2nd what Don said about the rooms for Venice. I was just in Venice in April and we stayed at the Comfort Inn Diana (they call it the Hotel Diana) for 10k pts/night. It was INCREDIBLY close to a ton of stuff in Venice and was rather nice. It was a damn steal considering we paid about $40/night for those points (It constantly goes for $200+ EURO a night because of it’s location). Basically for the price of a crappy lunch in Venice, we had a room in a prime location. We even had a nice little window overlooking the tiny street it was located on!

Gabriel, that is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

11. Traveler says:

Anybody have any past experiences on how long it takes for these points to post to your account?

12. MaryE. says:

Points have not posted yet. Purchase says it will post in 10 days. It is past 10 days. Anyone know anything?

13. BDMNL says:

@MaryE – my purchase confirmation email says that the points will post within 10 “business” days. Assuming the 4th is not a “business” day for Choice, the 10th busienss day is actually this Friday, July 12th. My points have still not posted and sadly, today (July 8th) is only the 6th business day.

14. Erik says:

Nothing posted yet here either.

15. Blaine says:

I called Choice today and asked when the points should post. They told me the points on these types of promotions usually post in 4-6 weeks.

If anyone has received their points please let us know.

16. Kim says:

My points posted today at 5:30, I think, with an expiration date of 12/31/15.