I have posted with some frequency on the construction progress of the Andaz Maui at Wailea, as I love the Hyatt brand and I love Maui.  This will be a beautiful but pricey hotel that is the perfect type of spot for a points redemption (Category 6 – 22,000 points per night).  The last time I posted on the hotel, they were accepting reservations for stays beginning on July 29th, however a few days ago I noticed on this Flyertalk thread that the new first date they were accepting reservations for was August 15th.  That coupled with some second-hand reports that construction was behind schedule made me a bit concerned.

On that same Flyertalk thread there is now a report from someone holding an early August reservation that they have been informed the hotel will not be ready in time.  It is unclear whether they are offering alternate accommodations at the Hyatt Regency Maui, or some other type of compensation (I sure as heck hope so!).  In doing some searching on the site, it seems that September 1st is the first date they are actively accepting reservations.  I have reservations for this hotel very shortly after that date, so I will be keeping a very close eye on this.

There is always a risk with booking hotels that are under construction – especially ones that might be operating on “island time”.  I very much hope my own reservation remains okay, but I will begin shopping around for a back-up plan in the event the opening is delayed further.  Anyone else impacted by this potential delayed opening?

15 Responses to “Possible Delayed Opening at Andaz Maui at Wailea”

1. Adam says:

Not really affected by it the way you describe, but it does give reason why I can’t use a free night there in mid-August.

2. NiceSharky says:

Thanks for the head’s up! I’m scheduled for Aug30 arrival and haven’t received any word from Hyatt of potential issue yet. My experience with ‘island time’ dictates that I definitely need to explore some options!

3. Grant says:

Hopefully things go smoothly now and your reservation will still work. Have you looked at any other back up hotels for your time in Hawaii?

4. Papa Smurf says:

I have two nights booked for Sept. 1-2. Haven’t received any notification that the hotel is not going to be ready so keeping my fingers crossed. We’ll see how this is going to turn out.

Adam, indeed!
    NiceSharky, hopefully they will make it in time for your reservation, but I agree that a cancel-able back-up isn’t the worst plan.
    Grant, just made a back-up rez at the HR. Can cancel until 7 days out. Isn’t exactly what I want for this trip, but it is my insurance card for now.
    Papa Smurf, hopefully the opening doesn’t inch into Sept!

6. Ernest says:

Had an award reservation for 8/2-8/5, and got a call from the Andaz today offering me points refund and comp at HR. I declined comp at HR, so they gave me another 66k points on top of the refunded points. Sweet!

7. Robert Hanson says:

So I’ll just repeat what I said previously.

Their cancelation policy @#$@#. Cancel 20 days out and you lose big time. They cancel you, and all you get is double your points back. What about the non-refundable airline tickets you bought based on their confirmed reservation? Maybe once a year vacation time you scheduled and can’t change now? Too bad for you, they don’t care. :(

8. Jon says:

Robert – there are other hotels on the island, no?

Ernest, bummer the hotel won’t be ready by then, but I wouldn’t be too upset with that many Hyatt points! ;)
    Robert, I don’t like the cancellation policy either, but I do understand that it is unlikely folks will decide to just load up in the car and head to Hawaii at the last minute, so cancellations likely hit Hawaiian hotels harder. ;) I hope they back it off to something closer to 7 days like the HR Maui though and it does sound like they are being very fair to those with reservations they can’t honor.
    Jon, I think at least one or two. ;)

10. Paul says:

We are Thanksgiving so should be fine.

11. Robert Hanson says:

there are other hotels on the island, no?

I checked, and you are so right. There are plenty of rooms available at the Marriott Courtyard Kahului Airport. So no problem then…. :D

Robert, ha ha. ;) There are of course rooms all around the island at a variety of price points. I think Andaz is being very fair in compensation for this delay and I hope the 8/15 date sticks.

13. Brian says:

I also got my call. my reservation has been cancelled for Aug. I am being offered a room at the Hotel wailea… which i do not think is comparable. Anyone else being bumped?

14. DWT says:

Looks like the opening has been delayed yet again… the web site now says that reservations are being taken from September 1 on. No reports on Flyertalk of Hyatt reaching out to those affected yet (which includes me as I have a reservation for 2 weeks from now!).

DWT, yeah I saw that. Just reached out to a friend who has a rez there on opening day and he hasn’t heard anything yet from them.