This content is not provided or commissioned by American Express. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of American Express, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express. This site may be compensated through American Express Affiliate Program.
Here are a few quick updates in the miles and points world. Fewer words to read, more time to do something else!
- There is a 40% transfer bonus from Membership Rewards to Virgin America through September 30th. The normal transfer rate is 200 Membership Reward points to 100 Virgin America points. With the bonus, that rate improves to 200 Membership Reward points to 140 Virgin America points. There are a few pretty good Virgin America redemptions, including if you are on a Hawaiian flight from the US mainland to Hawaii. As an example, you can fly round trip from Las Vegas to Honolulu on Hawaiian for 20,000 Virgin America points in coach. Normally that would translate to 40,000 Membership Reward points, but with the 40% bonus you will only need to transfer 28,600 Membership Reward points instead of the usual 40,000. You can take a look at the Virgin America Award Chart here. This can also be useful if you are looking to book flights between the Hawaiian islands on Hawaiian Airlines as I did here as they charge just 5,000 Virgin America points RT for those flights.
- The Southwest deal for 31% off flights on Halloween ends tonight.
- Southwest had some pretty good targeted nationwide promos including earning double points appear in folk’s accounts yesterday only to then disappear. Not sure if they were released in error, released early, or Southwest had a change of heart. Either way, keep an eye on your Southwest account to see if any promos appear (and stick this time).
- Get 25% off 17 participating Hyatt Hotels in the Southwest United States including Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Andaz West Hollywood, Grand Hyatt Denver, Andaz San Diego, Park Hyatt Aviara, and more. This promo is for Costco members using code COSSW. The offer is valid for reservations through December 30th when booked by September 20th.
- A Hack My Trip reader is offering up their ticket to the Frequent Traveler University in Tampa that happens in a little over a week for free! Head to Hack My Trip to get your entry in if you want to attend. I’m currently beefing up my presentations on Family Travel Tips and Tricks (well, more tips than tricks) and the Intro to Miles and Points session and hope to see some of you either in those sessions, or just while hanging out the night before!
- Remember to enter the Starwood Preferred Guest Take a Spin game to win daily prizes like 5,000 SPG points, a Kate Spade bag, etc. through October 10th. I have been entering our accounts most days and have yet to win, but I have read numerous reports of readers and other miles and points bloggers who have had better luck. It only takes a second, so worth the effort if you think about it.