If you read this site with any regularity, it is no secret that I am am very partial to hotel suites over regular rooms.  In part I’m sure it is just because I like to be a bit spoiled on vacation, but in large part it is because of very practical reasons.  Many of our trips are with our young daughter, and that means naptimes (usually), and relatively early bedtimes.

20130915-201256.jpg

Living space in the Andaz Suite at the Andaz in Maui

When you are at your own home, naptimes and early bedtimes are a Godsend as you are able to put your little one down for their nap, and then you are able to get things like laundry, cleaning, or working done.  Then once you put them down for the night, you are able to watch shows with a parental guide rating higher than G and maybe even spend a few minutes with your spouse.  Of course, this is all in a perfect world, we all know that little kids and sleeping can be a beast all of its own…

However, the beauty of naptime and bedtime at home, does not translate all that well to when you are on vacation.  In large part this is because you are usually all in a shared small space, and this limits what you can do once the little one dozes off.  I’ve written about this some before, but an email from a reader I received over the weekend reminded me that it isn’t an issue I have covered recently.

Got any tips for staying in the same room (not a suite) with a 2.5 year old?  How do you handle naps and (relatively) early bedtimes?  That’s my wife’s only concern about staying at the Swan and Dolphin, especially since we are only SPG Gold (and likely wouldn’t be able to get a suite).

I have no magic solution to this common dilemma, but I do have a few tips:

• If you can, get a suite.  Sometimes a suite will be cost prohibitive, but you would be surprised to learn how small the price difference can be to go from a room to a suite, especially if the hotel has a lower occupancy rate while you are there.  Sometimes you will be offered online e-Standby rates for suites when you make your reservation for prices that can be much lower than if you booked the suite directly.  Of course, this does not guarantee the suite will be available, only that if the suite is available you will pay that price for the upgrade.  Many programs like Hyatt, Starwood, etc. will allow you to book a suite with points, and some will allow you to pay a surcharge in points to go from a standard room to a suite.  With Hyatt this can be quite reasonable at 6,000 points surcharge for four nights to go from a standard room at the Daily Rate to a suite (at non-resort properties).  My best success has come from just negotiating with the property for the confirmed upgrade ahead of time.  A few times I have scored the suite free (in large part thanks to hotel elite status), and other times I pay a cash co-pay for the upgrade.  Of course, you can also choose to only look at properties that offer suites, such as Embassy Suites or similar.
  • If you can’t get a suite, try to get a larger room.  This is where even mid-tier elite status such as Hilton HHonors Gold status from having the Citi® Hilton HHonors Reserve Card can help you out.  Even having a deluxe room that has a bit more space, and perhaps a couch or small sitting area can be better than a very small room when it comes to naptime.  If I’m being honest, even a room that has a larger bathroom can be helpful.  I would say something like this when calling in advance, or at check-in.  “We are traveling with our baby who still takes naps and goes to bed super early.  We have Hilton Gold status, and wonder if there is there anyway you could help us out and give us a slightly bigger room so that we aren’t playing the quiet game quite as much while she sleeps?”  Say please and look pathetic and exhausted, which should be easy if you have a young child!  If they have the space, they may try extra hard to give you a bigger room.  If they are totally full then obviously they won’t be able to help much.
  • Put baby in the corner, or even the bathroom.  If your little one is still in a crib, consider putting the crib in a corner (away from anything dangerous like wires, cords, etc.) or even in the bathroom if they will tolerate it.  If you are able to do this, then you don’t have to play the quiet game as much during naptime since they are a little bit sheltered from the rest of the room.

We could have moved the crib toward the entry hallway to shield her a bit more from noise

• Rest yourself.  I wanted to stab people with spoons when they used to tell me “sleep when your baby sleeps” at home because there was always way too much to do, but this is a strategy I have used and enjoyed while on vacation.  If you ard your spouse are both on the trip, then you can take turns resting during naptime while the other goes out and enjoys some of what the area has to offer either by themselves or with the other kids.  Don’t fight it, just get some rest.
  • Do quiet activities.  If you can’t or don’t want to sleep, then do quiet activities like catching up on your favorite miles and points blogs, read a book, et cetera.  Unless your kid is an insanely light sleeper, your activities can generally get a bit louder once they go into deeper sleep.  You can then chat with your partner, watch a movie with low volume, etc.  I have also been known to enjoy some snacks, meals, and drinks in the room during a nap or two.
  • Take your louder activities to the bathroom or patio.  If your child is sleeping in the main part of the room, and you need or want to partake in a slightly louder activity, then move it to the restroom or on a patio, if available, and shut the door most of the way.  Just make sure you will be able to quickly hear your little one when they wake up, as that can sometimes be a scary process in an unfamiliar setting.

My best advice is embrace being forced to get more rest on vacation and don’t fight it.  Unless you hire a babysitter or similar, you aren’t going to be out late at night or have a go-go-go all day pace the way you might have had in your pre-child vacation days.  It is smart to think through what it will look with a baby or young child sleeping and living in the same one room as you, but it has it’s upsides as well.  That said, if you can secure a suite or alternate lodging with a bit more space to spread out, that is a good thing to consider.

I will tell you that now that our daughter is bigger, on family trips we either try to get a suite with a king bed and a pull-out/rollaway, or we get one room with two queen beds.  I usually end up sleeping with the little one.  It isn’t overly romantic, but it does work, and it is fun!

What do you other traveling families do when sharing one room with little kids who have naps and early bedtime?

Disclosure: I do receive a commission if you are approved for a credit card using one of my affiliate links.  As always, thanks for your support!

13 Responses to “How to Manage Naptime or Bedtime in a Hotel Room”

1. G David says:

Thanks for the post. I’ve always enjoyed reading your blog even though I didn’t have kids. However, we just adopted our first child as a newborn (out of state), and have already spent about two weeks in a hotel with him, and having a 1 bedroom suite was a lifesaver. $25-$50 extra? Sold, every single time from now on. Really looking forward to using your tips on flying with him when he finally gets to take his first plane ride!

G David, congrats on your new addition! How exciting! Totally agree that the suite is worth that incremental extra amount every time with a newborn! Here are some tips for a first flight when the time comes. ;)

3. “Take your louder activities to the bathroom or patio”. Why did I think you were gonna write about something else? And here I was thinking that the patio was a bold choice :)

4. jrey says:

Momypoints, Good post! What if you are outdoor like a zoo or park? How can you get your baby to nap? It’s always a challenge for us on the road.

MileageUpdate, ha ha. I give you permission to come up with your own list of louder activities. ;)

Jrey, we just pushed her around in the stroller until she fell asleep when we are in a park or zoo. Isn’t the best sleep, but usually worked if she was tired enough.

7. Donnie Law says:

I’ve certainly rolled a crib into the bathroom before! Works great.

8. Susan says:

We always just plan to drive during naptime – we put about 500 miles on our rental car on each of two trips to Kauai and our kids missed seeing countless bison and pronghorns last month in S Dakota because they were out cold. Of course, they refused to nap on the drive back to CO, which was excruciating…

Bedtime is usually a struggle at our house anyway, so vacation is no different. We try to get in some good late afternoon walks or playground time to wear them out, and then just roll with it knowing regular bedtimes will go out the window.

This time next week we’ll be in a rental house in Hanalei where the boys (3 and almost 5) will be sharing a queen bed – that could be interesting! The last two nights we’ll be at the Hyatt and I have my fingers crossed for a suite upgrade (or at least a reasonably-priced offer to upgrade).

PS – if our record rain last week had fallen as snow, we’d be covered in 400″ of the white stuff. Forecasters are predicting a great ski season!

9. Lori says:

I am a child sleep consultant and I get this question a lot. These are great tips, but I would also include that a child who is well-rested before the trip will often allow a little flexibility in their schedule. Does that mean that a child who goes to bed at 7 is going to be able to stay up until midnight? No, but it is possible that if they nap well, you could push things a little bit for a few days. When my children were little, we sometimes found deals when planning ahead where it was cheaper to get two adjoining rooms than it was to get a suite. That worked great for us because then we didn’t have to share beds. We have also done the pack n play in/near the bathroom arrangement. You can bring a clothesline, some painters tape, and use an extra sheet and set up a barrier in between the hallway area and the beds to make things more private. Sounds like a DIY project, but it works!

10. Lilly says:

When we first started traveling with my oldest, we would often pull the curtain around his pack and play to keep him from seeing us and the light from the TV(works if there is nothing super exciting or bright outside your window.) Then at our bedtime we’d put the curtain back in place for morning. We always traveled with a box fan or bought one when we arrived at our destination to drown out sound. Now there is a box fan app available. We’ve also just asked, “do you have a room available where we can set up his crib away from our bed” and there were many properties that could accommodate in a standard room. With our second we’re a little more relaxed, but keeping naps does help us extend the fun into the evening without the exhaustion drama that would begin by 5pm, sans nap. I agree, embrace mid day naps on vacation with no guilt, no housework to worry about.

I like the idea of sight-seeing (aka driving) during naptime for some destinations.

It is also true that you can get away with a lot more if your kiddo goes into the trip rested. Once they get over-tired you have a whole new set of problems on your hands. For us that was usually by day 3 of trips when she was pretty young. Now, at 3 years old she can keep up pretty well, but will eventually need a mega-nap or similar.

12. Larger closets work well for cribs also!

13. Diana W says:

Hyatt’s confirmed suite upgrades were a lifesaver when we were traveling through Asia earlier this year. We also brought along our peapod, which helped block some of the light. Last month I managed to fit the hotel crib into a large closet at an airport hotel. My mother was horrified, but our daughter slept well!