I love skiing, and specifically I love the beauty and accessibility of Colorado (at least from Texas).  It is a magical place for my family, but we all know that recent ski seasons have been hit or miss in terms of snow coverage, especially in Colorado.  At times the snow has been really good, and at times it has been pretty non-existent.  Unless you have the flexibility to plan trips at the last minute based on recent snowfall, it is a crap shoot as to how the snow will be when you plan your trip months in advance.  There are some mountains and locations that are more reliable than others, but with Mother Nature obviously there are never any guarantees.

With many ski mountain resorts, reservations cannot be cancelled without penalty within a month of the check-in date, and even using points doesn’t protect you from the lack of snowfall.  I have several posts on ski resorts coming up in the next several weeks (and just ran a pretty comprehensive post of points options for skiing in the Western US), but I saw a tweet today about this Snow Guarantee from a hotel I really like, The Westin Riverfront Beaver Creek, that was interesting enough to share.

20130124-164555.jpg

The kitchen in our suite at the Westin in Beaver Creek earlier this year

Here are the details:

• Book by November 19th for arrival between November 27th and December 19th.
  • If Beaver Creek reports less than a 19 inch base on the day before your arrival then you can cancel with no penalties
  • Use promo code SNOWGTD to book the snow guarantee rate
  • It is a pre-paid rate that is non-refundable other than in the event of a less than 19 inch base mid-mountain the day before your arrival

When I compared the snow guarantee rates to the regular pre-paid and non-refundable rates, the snow guarantee rates are more expensive by about $20=$40 or so a night on the dates I checked.  I also want to point out that the rates are very low for this property in early December – starting at around $150 a night, which is a fraction of what they charge later in the ski season.  A 19 inch base is not very much at all, but since this deal is valid during the early part of the ski season, it can at least guarantee you that there will be something on the mountain.  I’ve heard several times now this ski season is supposed to be pretty good in Colorado, so hopefully those predictions are right and this snow guarantee isn’t needed at all.  I have a couple of my own ski trips booked this year, so I am doing a snow dance already!

This type of guarantee is not unique to this hotel, I have seen it recently at a few other Colorado ski resorts for early season skiing, some with even more generous policies.  Do you know of other properties that offer something similar?  Have you ever booked a snow guarantee type of rate?  Where are your skis headed this year?

8 Responses to “Westin Riverfront in Beaver Creek Announces “Snow Guarantee” Deal”

1. Josh says:

Check that title :)

Josh, hate that spell check doesn’t hit the title section. Ha! Thanks. ;)

3. Ken says:

I wouldn’t recommend booking a ski trip to CO before Xmas even with a guarantee. The last two years we went to Steamboat either the first or second weekend in December and it was awful. The second year was better by far, but even still they only had less than 10% of the mountain open. And the 10% that was open had really thin coverage and all the people were crammed on only a few runs. If you can wait till January you’re much better off.

Ken, well there certainly is a reason the rates are so much lower than they are starting in January! Early season snow is a gamble for sure.

5. Gabriel says:

a 19″ base (heck, even a 40″ base) is worthless if it hasn’t snowed in the previous 10 days. I’d advise everyone to pass as it’s a gimmick.

Gabriel, somewhat for sure, but early season I would personally rather a guarantee there will be something. I would love a “fresh powder” guarantee too, but that will never happen. ;)

7. Grover's Bathtub says:

Looks like Beaver Creek has quite a bit of snowmaking, and it reliably gets cold at night in the CO mountains in the late fall, so there will almost certainly be 19″ base. I wouldn’t pay extra for the guarantee, especially if I was flying in on a non-refundable airfare anyway. When you can find late-season cheap rates, it’s often a better deal than early-season, because snowpacks are still at or near their high point of the season.

8. Michael M says:

Writing from Denver – just echoing other comments.
    Don’t book anything until after Christmas.
    If you really want the best deals and can handle the cold, January / February are ideal.
    Things start getting a little kookoo into March.