I just got an email informing me that the sign-up bonus on the US Bank FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa Signature has increased to 20,000 FlexPoints after the first $3,500 in spending in the first 150 days (which is roughly 5 months).  The previous sign-up bonus had a 17,500 point bonus after $2,500 in spending.  This clearly isn’t the largest sign-up bonus out there, but it is worth more than it sounds like at first glance.

This sign-up bonus of 20,000 points is worth up to $400 toward an airline ticket.  With FlexPerks points, the trick is to redeem them when your airline ticket is just below one of the redemption thresholds of $400, $600, $800, etc.  For example, a $250 airline ticket would cost 20,000 points and a $399 ticket would cost 20,000 points.  This does require some strategy, but it means the points are worth close to 2 cents each if they are redeemed to their maximum value.  When you redeem, you can also get a $25 airline allowance with every award travel ticket good towards baggage fees, in-flight food/drinks and more.  Since you are traveling on a purchased ticket, you are also earning frequent flyer miles for your flight and aren’t subject to things like black-out dates or award availability.

I use my FlexPerks card for all of my grocery purchases as it earns 2x in that category (2x on gas, grocery, or airline purchases – whichever you use it for the most in a month).   Since the points are worth close to 2 cents each, that means I am earning close to 4 cents in value for every dollar I spend on groceries.  I also use this card for all my charitable donations, including Kiva, as it earns 3x on those expenses.  There have also been a few promos throughout my first year with the program that have allowed me to earn several thousand bonus points.

If you want to use your points toward airfare without having to deal with blackout dates, this card is one to consider – especially with the sign-up bonus that is worth up to $400.  Do be aware that some people, especially those who have many recent credit inquiries, can have some trouble getting approved with US Bank.  I did not have those issues when I applied, but it can happen.  Also, they will automatically consider you for the U.S. Bank FlexPerks Select Rewards card which earns 10,000 bonus FlexPoints if you don’t meet their qualifications for the Visa Signature version talked about in this post.

Disclosure: I do receive a commission if you are approved for a credit card using one of my affiliate links.  As always, thank you for your support.

12 Responses to “FlexPerks Visa Signature Increases Sign-up Bonus”

1. Michelle says:

Is there any way to use this for hotel?

2. HikerT says:

Important to note flexpoints must be redeemed for a r/t airline ticket. This really limits the ability to use them (unless you get creative with a flexible ticket).

3. DaveS says:

I redeemed flexpoints for a one way ticket.

4. Pamela Rebitz says:

5. dave says:

HikerT is incorrect. I have redeemed for several one way tickets…Delta many times has very discounted seats in FC and I have had no problem booking them with these points. Their agents are very helpful and there are no phone booking fees.Awesome program

6. Hairythunder says:

My wife got the same email with only $500 minimum spend requirement. I didn’t receive any emails. While I feel blown off, going to the card for her. Free trip to Hawaii from the West Coast.

7. HikerT says:

DaveS, thanks for clarifying. I re-read the program rules and it looks like the requirement to purchase a round trip ticket only applies to phone reservations.

8. DaveS says:

I agree with you, HikerT, about it not being as useful as it appears at first glance. The fact that you have to find a ticket worth just short of a particular tier amount to get full value is a big deal to me. Once I had spent the sign-up bonus, I didn’t see any future for myself in the program. I just don’t have enough ordinary spend that I would ever build up again to a reward (at least not until after paying several annual fees), so I dropped it. But for big spenders it could be useful to keep it.

I thought I would drop it after the first year but didn’t as they have made it easy to keep going with 3,500 point promos here and there. Depending on your spending patterns, the 2x and 3x categories can help, too. Agree the point thresholds do make it harder, but certainly not impossible.

10. Elena says:

I like this card. When I only had enough United miles for three award tickets, I used the flexpoints for my fourth ticket.

11. Used your link today and Mrs. P is approved. Keep up the great work :)

Awesome! Congrats and thanks! Also thanks for the coloring books. ;)