Just as I hoped would happen when I posted about the Southwest $49 and up distance based sale this morning, other airlines like United, American, and Delta are matching Southwest’s prices on some routes on certain days.  This means it is a good day to shop for winter airfare even if Southwest isn’t your preferred carrier.  For example, I live in the Houston area and one of the main reasons I don’t fly Southwest is because the airport they fly from, Hobby, is not convenient at all from my house.  However, United does fly from the airport in Houston convenient to my house, is now matching the prices on some routes.  So, even though I don’t fly Southwest, this sale can now benefit my family!

I’m seeing United fares from Houston at around $49 each way to Dallas, Austin, Oklahoma City, and New Orleans; and at around $99 each way to/from Chicago, Denver, and Orlando.  Basically the prices follow exactly as the Southwest distance based sale indicates.

Houston-New OrleansAs a reminder, here are the details on the Southwest sale since it will also likely impact those who are matching the prices on those routes.

This sale is valid for travel from  December 4 – 18, 2013 and January 7 – February 12, 2014. The sale ends on Thursday, October 10th.  Not valid for travel on Fridays or Sundays.  Only non-stop flights are included in the sale.

• Starting at $49 for flights up to 500 miles in duration
  • Starting at $99 for flights up to 501 – 1,000 miles in duration
  • Starting at $129 for flights 1,001 – 1,500 miles in duration
  • Starting at $149 for flights 1,501 miles +

I have read reports of price matching happening on many carriers from many cities where Southwest competes, so check out the prices on trips you are interested in and see if you find any good deals!

7 Responses to “Other Airlines Matching the Southwest $49+ Sale!”

1. Tyler says:

This works out really well. Going to be able to book a roundtrip ticket from DEN to OMA for only $93. Best part is since I can book it as two one ways for that price will get $10 back from united.com club.

2. Boraxo says:

Nice find – always good to have a reminder when fare sales are expanded.

Too bad WN has decided as a general practice to exclude Friday and Sundays which are the most critical days for family travelers. Hopefully this will change as loads drop – our Sunday flight was not sold out.

3. Nancy says:

Vegas here we come! SLC-LAS = $49. Always looking for ways to save money while traveling the world.

4. tom says:

Is AA matching out of DFW?

Glad this sale is working for some!
    Tom, I have seen some fares that appear to be matches out of Dallas on AA when looking at a list from @airfarewatchdog

6. jon says:

Tom, AA is matching every single fare that WN has. I was short on segments for my elite status on AA and thanks to WN I got some cheap segments lined up!

7. garnetkaw says:

AA is having a great sale! I was always told it is cheaper to fly on the holiday. It really is! This morning, I purchased a ticket to fly out of DFW Christmas night to CAE (Columbia, SC) and return New Year’s Day in the evening for $139.80 round trip. I purchased two tickets for under $280 round trip. Usually you cannot fly this route for under $300 round trip. So excited!