This content is not provided or commissioned by American Express. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of American Express, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express. This site may be compensated through American Express Affiliate Program.
Just a quick note to say that Barclays has brought back the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus on the The Lufthansa Premier Miles & More World MasterCard. This temporarily increased sign-up bonus was around earlier this year, and is now back! This card isn’t for everyone, but there are some pretty good uses of these miles even if you never plan to leave the US, or set foot on a Lufthansa operated flight.
You can use these miles to fly on Star Alliance partners like United and US Airways. The price for a domestic round trip ticket in the US (other than Hawaii) is 25,000 miles for economy or just 35,000 for business class – which equates to domestic first on United (but not on US Airways due to how they code their first class). This is a tremendous deal since it normally would cost 50,000 United miles for that same ticket.
Official offer details (bolding mine):
- Earn 20,000 award miles after your first purchase or balance transfer
- Earn an additional 30,000 award miles when you spend $5,000 in purchases within the first 90 days of account opening
- With 50,000 award miles you can redeem for a round-trip award flight to Hawaii, Europe or the Caribbean!
- Cardholders receive a Companion Ticket annually
- Enjoy 2 award miles per $1 on Miles & More integrated airline ticket purchases and 1 award mile per $1 spent everywhere else
- No mileage expiration with monthly qualifying purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
There is a $79 annual fee (though it is waived for waived for Senator and HON Circle Members). Be aware that Barclays sometimes will automatically consider you for a lesser product in the event you are not approved for the product you apply for. In this case, the terms indicate that both the Premier World or Platinum MasterCard versions of this card will get the full sign-up bonus, provided the spending requirement is met. The terms also indicate that this offer ends December 15, 2013, but may be canceled at any time without notice.
I’ll share more about exactly how to best make use of this offer in the near future. Until then, if you got in on it last time feel free to share how you maximized the miles!