I’m sure most of you have seen some images from the devastating typhoon that recently hit the Philippines.  If you haven’t, the short story is that they really need help, and fast.  I know that is half a world away for those of us in the US, but for travelers, that is nothing more than a couple of plane rides.  For anyone who wants to help donate toward that disaster, there are now some offers out there to earn miles in the process.  I know it’s almost always a bit controversial to post about earning miles for donating to others in need, but I like miles, and I like helping others, so here it goes.  I think any reminder or motivator to help can be a good one.  Obviously if you want to donate more directly without getting anything in return, then that is fantastic as well!

United:

MileagePlus members who give between $50-99 will receive 250 bonus miles, those who contribute $100-249 will receive 500 bonus miles, and members who donate more than $250 will receive 1,000 miles.

American Red Cross

Operation USA

AmeriCares

Typhoon Support Mommy Points

American Airlines:

American had a plan in place through October 30th that awarded a one-time award of 250 AAdvantage miles for a minimum donation of $50, or 500 AAdvantage miles for a donation of $100 or more to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief.  I don’t see such an offer currently in place, though I suspect that they will bring one back (as they have for other disasters).

American Red Cross

US Bank FlexPerks:

If you have a US Bank Flex Perks card then all charity expenditures should earn 3x points, so this would work as a stand alone way to earn a few points on your donation, or should even stack with the United offer.

If you know of other offers that come online to provide some miles or incentive to get folks to donate then please share in the comments section.

7 Responses to “Donate for Typhoon Relief in the Philippines and Earn Miles”

1. Suzy says:

Perfect timing post. I just texted REDCROSS to 90999 (5x on cell phones with ink cards) and tried to do 10 texts but the limit was 2 so now I can send remaining $ to your suggestions.

Suzy, I have done that before as well with good success on the 5x!

3. Joey says:

Thank you for sharing mommypoints! I just donated to OperationUSA via United link.

4. Cara says:

I was about to send you a message on this. As someone who was born and raised in the Philippines, this tragedy hits close to heart. I may not have family in the hardest hit area, but I do have friends whose families were affected. Thank you in advance to all for the help – we surely need it.

5. […] Donate for Typhoon Relief in the Philippines and Earn Miles […]

6. Claire says:

Thanks! Was planning to donate and hadn’t even thought to do so through a miles-earning channel. Also don’t forget that many employers match charitable donations. Some charities will submit the paperwork to your employer for you (you only need to inform them that your employer matches). Not sure if that can be done through the channels mentioned in this post, though.

7. Nick O says:

Hilton is 10 pts/$. Check your emails for a link or attempt to find it on the HHonors website