In the bustle of all the new Chase offers on Monday, the news that the first quarter 2014 Chase Freedom® Visa bonus categories were announced got a little lost in the shuffle, so I wanted to list them here in case you missed them.  These rotating 5x bonus categories are an insanely easy way to earn 5x Ultimate Reward points (or 5% cash back) with an annual-fee-free card.  As you likely know, the 5x Ultimate Reward points are transferable to hotel and airline partners like United, Southwest, British Airways, and Hyatt if you also have the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Ink Bold, or Ink Plus.  If you don’t have one of those cards then you can use the points toward gift cards or as cash back at one cent per point.

There is a quarterly max of $1,500 at the 5x rate, so you can potentially earn 30,000 Ultimate Reward points per year with just $6,000 in spending at 5x if you max out the bonus categories each quarter.

2014First Quarter 5x Freedom Bonus Categories:

Gas Stations, Movie Theaters, Starbucks

Freedom 5x Mommy Points

You need to activate the 2014 first quarter 5x bonus beginning on December 15th.  You can currently activate the 2013 4th quarter 5x bonuses of Amazon and select department stores.  Gas stations are historically a very easy category to max out the 5x bonus, so I’m happy to see that return.  If  this year is like last year, I expect we will know the full 2014 calendar in the next month or so.

With the sign-up bonus temporarily increased to 20,000 points after spending $500 in the first 3 months, it is a good time to consider if this card and it’s rotating 5x bonus categories are for your family.

I’ll update when the full 2014 calendar is available!

14 Responses to “2014 First Quarter Freedom 5x Categories Announced”

1. Nathan says:

Drug store category conspicuously absent this year…

2. josh says:

my wife is a joint user on my freedom card meaning she is responsibel for the card payements and it effects her credit score so its more then a reg AU(chase told me they dont do this anymore)can she open her own freedom card and get this bonus?

3. PhatMiles says:

Gas Stations it is.

4. John says:

Wow. This quarter, maxing out the 1500.00 limit over 3 months is doable through purchases at Amazon and department stores. I’d like to see someone who can reach that with gas, coffee and movies!

5. David says:

I love that my gas station sells Vanilla reloads … with credit cards!!!!

6. Jake says:

probably the only way to max it out is to buy gift cards at gas stations.

Nathan, right!
    Josh, not sure that joint users can get their own card since technically they already had it. Very different than an authorized user for sure.
    PhatMiles, indeed.
    John, oh it is quite easy at many gas stations if you think hard enough. ;)
    David, woohoo!
    Jake, or live in Texas and drive everywhere. ;)

8. Robert Hanson says:

You spend $500 a month on gasoline? Time to trade in that Hummer H1 for something more fuel efficient. :)

9. Robert Hanson says:

@David You have gas stations that sell VR with a cc?

My local 7-11 was coded as a gas station. I bought a VR there once, then the manager chewed out the employee for letting me do that. None of the 7-11s near ne will take a cc for VR now. What type of station lets you buy VR with a cc?

10. […] 2014 First Quarter Freedom 5x Categories Announced […]

Robert, ha ha I don’t. Though in the summer with boat and truck we likely come close. I know tons of texans that do spend that much though! Easy to fill in the gaps at gas stations though. ;)

12. David says:

There are Shell stations that carry VR, I have provided ID and the managers are OK with it. Another option is Array gift cards. These are actually codes, redeemed online for hundreds of stores, Wal-mart, Costco, many others. No fees or shipping!! I can buy these at Circle K gas stations. There are probably other places as well, purchase goes through as gas station!!

13. Robert Hanson says:

@ David Thank you so much, I’ll see if I can find any of these with availability near me.

14. Margo says:

Gas cards are always a welcome gift , and I buy gas cards for the following three months when they are not a bonus category.